Quebec Open - 111 pre-registered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quebec Open - 111 pre-registered

As of June 17, there are 111 pre-registered for the Quebec Open (July 18-25 - note the location (it's at Brébeuf - not the CEGEP where it usually is))

http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/coq/ins-coq2009.htm

Re: Quebec Open - 111 pre-registered

Wow.... that's an unbelievably strong open section, the strongest I've ever seen anywhere. I wish I could play, it's too bad it conflicts with both CYCC and Canadian Open. I would play in this over Canadian open, but it also conflicts with CYCC which I need to go to. It's really a pity that there are scheduling conflicts within Canadian chess as we have so few prestigous tournaments like this and yet we still have problems scheduling.

Comment

How can we prevent this from happening in the future? When are the dates announced for each event?

Comment

The Quebec Open is traditionally the first week of Quebec's so-called "construction holiday" - July 19 to Aug. 1 this year - which has also coincided with the "Just for Laughs" festival.

Comment

Re: Quebec Open - 213 pre-registered

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          As of June 17, there are 111 pre-registered for the Quebec Open (July 18-25 - note the location (it's at Brébeuf - not the CEGEP where it usually is))

The event begins this afternoon at 2 pm. With registrations sitting at 213, the final total should be around 250. Check out the link above for the list of pre-registered players. Strategy Games (owned and operated by the Chess'n Math Association) will have an on-site booth with plenty of chess books and equipment every day of the event.

http://www.strategygames.ca

Comment

Re: Quebec Open - 245 players

A total of 245 players. Results can be found at the link below:

http://pages.globetrotter.net/jrboutin/Standings.html

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
              How can we prevent this from happening in the future? When are the dates announced for each event?
              To avoid conflicts, you don't schedule the Canadian Open on the traditional dates of the World Open or the Quebec Open. It isn't rocket science, but local conditions ("I can get a great site for $X, but it conflicts with Y. If I move the dates, I'll have to pay $2X.") can make it tricky.

It used to be more difficult because you'd want to avoid the dates of the North Bay International Open (held annually from 1994 to 1999) and of the US Open (every year). I don't think the US Open is so much of a consideration anymore, unless it happens to be close to the CO geographically.

In addition, running major events consecutively can have a synergistic effect; for example, a GM might be able to play in several events when the organizers have to pay for only one return trans-oceanic air ticket.

There's the civic holiday in August to schedule around, and nobody's ever run a CO that includes the Labour Day weekend.

Boris Spassky actually played in a Labour Day Open, after a Canadian Open.

Since the Canadian Open is traditionally last to set its dates (US Open bidding, in my recollection, was 2-3 years in advance), it is the one that is capable of causing, or avoiding, a conflict; causing, or avoiding, a synergy.

We're looking at an exciting finish to the 2009 Canadian Open in Edmonton, starting in hmmmmmm, 45 minutes! How many ways can a winner be resolved from a 9-way tie for first and 4-way tie for 10th?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                Wow.... that's an unbelievably strong open section, the strongest I've ever seen anywhere. I wish I could play, it's too bad it conflicts with both CYCC and Canadian Open. I would play in this over Canadian open, but it also conflicts with CYCC which I need to go to. It's really a pity that there are scheduling conflicts within Canadian chess as we have so few prestigous tournaments like this and yet we still have problems scheduling.
                Wow, what a strong event! In round 1, the lower rated player on board 1 was rated 2462. That is pairings with no acceleration. 2007 CYCC player Ling Feng Ye drew Kasparov in the first round! True, it was only Sergey Kasparov, but he's rated almost 2500.

I notice the Kovalyov took a bye in the first round. Guessing another half-pointer in the second round. So it *is* possible to play in both; with such a strong QO, half-point byes wouldn't be a competitive disadvantage for any but the strongest. However, two half point byes would kill any norm ideas.

Comment

The Canadian Open traditionally ended on the Labour Day weekend - at least up until Toronto, 1968 (I don't have the dates handy for 1970 and 1971). Since 1973, it's been in July or early August (possibly starting in late June once or twice).

Comment

I see my name listed as pre-registered, but I never requested entry. Indeed, I have left Montreal since my sabbatical ended on July 3. I had a wonderful time! I am sorry there has been a mis-communication, and I don't know how it could have come about.

Comment

I dropped by today and was horrified at the noise levels. The building is beautiful, but the stone halls are filled with shouting children and the sounds really echo.

The door to the hall with the top sections is pretty noisy too. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that door while playing. In addition, the boards seem a little too close together.

Hopefully they'll make a few changes for the later rounds as the tournament is wonderfully strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                        To avoid conflicts, you don't schedule the Canadian Open on the traditional dates of the World Open or the Quebec Open. It isn't rocket science, but local conditions ("I can get a great site for $X, but it conflicts with Y. If I move the dates, I'll have to pay $2X.") can make it tricky.

It used to be more difficult because you'd want to avoid the dates of the North Bay International Open (held annually from 1994 to 1999) and of the US Open (every year). I don't think the US Open is so much of a consideration anymore, unless it happens to be close to the CO geographically.
                        I notice that the site of next year's US Open has been announced: Irvine, California, just south of Los Angeles. It may be asked how many West Coast Canadians will choose to attend the week long event. As well, how many are registered for this year's US Open in Indianapolis?

Another event to dodge is the Canadian Closed, if and when it is announced well in advance.

I remember the 1968 Canadian Open being held in Toronto in late August, can't recall if it ran into Labour Day weekend or not. Some GM named Bent Larsen won it.:D

Comment

Irvine? That's awesome. Since I was born there, I have to try to play in that next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenneth Regan View Post
                            I see my name listed as pre-registered, but I never requested entry. Indeed, I have left Montreal since my sabbatical ended on July 3. I had a wonderful time! I am sorry there has been a mis-communication, and I don't know how it could have come about.
                            I wonder who paid your entry fee of (2500-2405 = 95 x 2 =) $190....?

I love the format. Even though it would have been a decision worth about $500, I might still have entered the top section, as I did in 2007 when the hit was somewhat less (both in terms of $ and in terms of opponents, though they were still pretty strong for me! ). The heat in the playing hall was oppressive for this left-coaster, especially the round that I got to play GM Aveskulov--they moved our games to a hotter oven. Well, it was equal conditions for everyone. My recollection of the event will unfortunately ever be coloured by happenings over which nobody in Quebec had any influence!

This year the Canadian Open in Edmonton dropped the traditional second game on the first Sunday, shrinking the event from 10 rounds to 9. The COQ this year did have two rounds on Sunday (is that traditional?). The COQ version must be tough, with the sections so level. The traditional CO schedule seems tailor-made for traditional accelerated pairings, even though that schedule long predates Phil Haley's invention of AP. With rounds 2 and 3 on Sunday, the second Sunday round is the "decompression" round of Haley Accelerated Pairings.

Comment

The Canadian Open traditionally ended on the Labour Day weekend - at least up until Toronto, 1968 (I don't have the dates handy for 1970 and 1971). Since 1973, it's been in July or early August (possibly starting in late June once or twice).
                              Mea culpa. 1970 in St. John's was my first Canadian Open. It ended earlier, I know for sure because Bruce Amos, Lawrence Day, Tony Suraci and I flew to North Sydney, NS and then drove to Boston for the US Open. After the CO. Here we go, July 29 to August 6. The US Open started August 9th. The civic holiday in August hadn't been invented yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X