2017 Canadian Closed - Montreal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Canadian Closed - Montreal

The 2017 Canadian Closed will be in Montreal at Olympic Stadium.
    June 27 - July 1
    http://www.miltonchess.ca/images/cfc/cccc2017.pdf
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 4th May, 2017, 06:13 PM.

Re: 2017 Canadian Closed - Montreal

I'm wondering if the organizers can change the dates so high school students from Ontario can participate. The last day of school in Ontario is June 29th and that's when the high school graduation ceremony is for the majority of grade 12 students. If a player can't participate to Canadian Closed for serious reasons does the 10 points penalty still apply to him when it comes to the Olympiad selection formula?

Comment

Hmm, don't think I'll be able to make it this year. :-/

Comment

Like worker, i must give my weeks of holidays for march 15. And i don't have a $750 - 1000 to give for chess (and certainly more for someone who have to take a plane and/or take a good hotel) instantly for this short delay annoncement.

For Mr Preotu: in french on Quebecechecs.com, Louis Morin from FQE said that the dates in june were the only one with a room avalaible in Olympic stadium.
        Last edited by Réjean Tremblay; Sunday, 7th May, 2017, 05:09 AM.

Comment

I see here 3 different cases of deteriorating the conditions, compare to previous Canadian Closed.

1. 5 days schedule instead of 6.

2. Only 2 prizes guaranteed.

3. Entry fee of 150 CAD for IMs, instead of free entry.

I can only regret about 1 and 2. Likely, it will cause some players not to participate in this event.

Now about 3. I remember, after Canadian Closed 2009 CFC decided to give free entry to IMs and to provide some conditions for GMs, last winner and last runner-up. 150 CAD entry fee for IMs is a clear violation of this policy.

I remember, I had some discussion here, on chesstalk with IM J.Hebert, who won the 2009 Closed. His position was: it's better not to have the championship at all than to play under "bad" conditions. My opinion was completely different that time. I have to say, now I better understand his point.

Comment

I was going to write something very similar and Victor beat me to it..in agreement on all 3 points. Note that there are also possible playoffs in this tournament (pesonally I am in favour) and I am not sure if the current CFC rules allow that. The last 1 or 2 championships had no playoffs for first place.
            Also, even if its an only bid and simply gets accepted because of that - usually there is still some governor discussion, with suggestions/amendments to organizers etc.

Comment

What does "free for GM under certain conditions*" mean?

From the CFC handbook
              511. Fees and Prizes:
              a) Each player will be responsible for paying his own entry fee, accommodation and meal expenses with the exception of the following:
              i) the Canadian Champion and Runner-Up shall have their entry fee, accommodation and meal expenses paid by the tournament organizers;
              ii) free entry shall be given to IM’s and GM’s;
              iii) free accommodation should be provided for GM’s;

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                I see here 3 different cases of deteriorating the conditions, compare to previous Canadian Closed.

1. 5 days schedule instead of 6.

2. Only 2 prizes guaranteed.

3. Entry fee of 150 CAD for IMs, instead of free entry.

I can only regret about 1 and 2. Likely, it will cause some players not to participate in this event.

Now about 3. I remember, after Canadian Closed 2009 CFC decided to give free entry to IMs and to provide some conditions for GMs, last winner and last runner-up. 150 CAD entry fee for IMs is a clear violation of this policy.

I remember, I had some discussion here, on chesstalk with IM J.Hebert, who won the 2009 Closed. His position was: it's better not to have the championship at all than to play under "bad" conditions. My opinion was completely different that time. I have to say, now I better understand his point.
                Don't blame the organizers for the tournament "deterioration". This was a foregone conclusion when no bids had surfaced by the beginning of March.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
                  I was going to write something very similar and Victor beat me to it..in agreement on all 3 points. Note that there are also possible playoffs in this tournament (pesonally I am in favour) and I am not sure if the current CFC rules allow that. The last 1 or 2 championships had no playoffs for first place.
                  Also, even if its an only bid and simply gets accepted because of that - usually there is still some governor discussion, with suggestions/amendments to organizers etc.
                  The Voting Members can discuss and vote on bids when time allows. That was not the case, here.

Comment

Is the CFC providing any sponsorship for their 2017 starship event?

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                      What does "free for GM under certain conditions*" mean?

From the CFC handbook
                      511. Fees and Prizes:
                      a) Each player will be responsible for paying his own entry fee, accommodation and meal expenses with the exception of the following:
                      i) the Canadian Champion and Runner-Up shall have their entry fee, accommodation and meal expenses paid by the tournament organizers;
                      ii) free entry shall be given to IM’s and GM’s;
                      iii) free accommodation should be provided for GM’s;
                      It is my understanding that GM's will have their Entry Fee waived if they agree to annotate 2 games.

When the CFC approved the new constitution, the CFC Handbook ceased being law. As we are trying to rewrite the most pertinent pieces, it is being used as a guideline.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                        Is the CFC providing any sponsorship for their 2017 starship event?
                        CFC Annual Financial statements are viewable at the CFC Website. It is pretty easy to see what our bottom line is.

In any case we are providing complete air fare for the winner to attend the 2017 World Cup in Georgia as well as $1000 for airfare to the 2018 Continental Championship in Uruguay.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                          It is my understanding that GM's will have their Entry Fee waived if they agree to annotate 2 games.
                          It really doesn't matter for Razvan if the organizers don't change the dates of the tournament. He has the last gr. 12 exam on June 27th and the graduation ceremony on June 29th. I've asked the CFC executives if the Olympiad selection rule (10 points penalty if a player did not play/withdrew from Canadian Closed) applies to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                            It really doesn't matter for Razvan if the organizers don't change the dates of the tournament. He has the last gr. 12 exam on June 27th and the graduation ceremony on June 29th. I've asked the CFC executives if the Olympiad selection rule (10 points penalty if a player did not play/withdrew from Canadian Closed) applies to him.
                            Certainly a valid question, Rene. When the voting members passed the new Olympic Team Selection Rating rules, I'm sure none of us thought of extenuating circumstances. I imagine each case will have to be ruled on separately.

Comment

I remember in 1984? Canadian Closed in Ottawa when Jean Hebert took a train from Montreal to announce he was withdrawing to protest the conditions. Sadly 33 years later, I think things have got worse not better. Back then, although only 16 participants, I seem to remember some sort of meal allowance for the players and the entry fee was very low. Sadly, there are not many bids for the Canadian Championship, and the conditions seem to get worse every year. Now the players who don't play also get penalised for Olympic team selection. I am not sure of the solution, but Jean Hebert should be thanked by the top players since he always tried to make the conditions better.

Comment

Working...
                              X