Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Canadian Closed - Montreal

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
    ... why would a tournament organizer change their tournament dates to accommodate one player ...
    I'm assuming that all Ontario students are affected by this, including Razvan, IM Michael Song 2423, FM Yuanchen Zhang 2268, CM Eugene Hua 2203, CM Richard Chen 2192, Jason Cai 2135 (sorry if I missed other players).
    I'm the only complaining because:
    1. I've inquired about this tournament for months
    http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...526#post111526
    2. Razvan is the only player who will be affected when it comes to the new Olympiad selection rule.
    http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...-Olympiad-2018

... or maybe he can pass on his other commitment.
    His last grade 12 exam (June 27th) and the graduation ceremony (June 29th).

I hope I answered your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      Certainly a timely bid from Toronto would have been welcomed.
      I'm sure that some Toronto organizers looked at the "defunct" CFC handbook and couldn't get their money back if they had to follow this:
      511. Fees and Prizes:
      a) Each player will be responsible for paying his own entry fee, accommodation and meal expenses with the exception of the following:
      i) the Canadian Champion and Runner-Up shall have their entry fee, accommodation and meal expenses paid by the tournament organizers;
      ii) free entry shall be given to IM’s and GM’s;
      iii) free accommodation should be provided for GM’s;

Who knew that
      Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      When the CFC approved the new constitution, the CFC Handbook ceased being law. As we are trying to rewrite the most pertinent pieces, it is being used as a guideline.
      Can somebody remove this and other nonsense from the CFC website?

I was also thinking to organize a 10 players round-robin (with the help of few sponsors), but again this wasn't in the CFC handbook and some people rejected the idea of having an invitation only tournament for the Canadian Closed.

Comment

Often schools will allow students write exams early. I don't know if something can be arranged for the 29th.

Comment

Questions RE: women at 2017 CC

Originally posted by Pierre Denommee View Post
          This Championship is open to both Men and Women.

This message was brought to you by your Women Coordinator just in case some WGM, WIM, WFM or other strong women were not aware that they can play.
          A couple questions about women at the 2017 Closed:
          1. does it count as a qualifier for the next FIDE Women's World Cup (or whatever FIDE calls the next stage of the Women's World Championship cycle)?
          2. what are the entry fees for WIMs and WGMs?

Thanks.

Comment

Re: Questions RE: women at 2017 CC

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
            A couple questions about women at the 2017 Closed:
            1. does it count as a qualifier for the next FIDE Women's World Cup (or whatever FIDE calls the next stage of the Women's World Championship cycle)?
            2. what are the entry fees for WIMs and WGMs?

Thanks.
            1 No. We expect there would be a proper event for this.
            2 As it's in the Open FIDE division, I wouldn't expect Women's titles to receive reduced entry.

Comment

Requests for Exemption from Penalty for Olympiad selection

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...7745#post27745

Comment

Re: Requests for Exemption from Penalty for Olympiad selection

The executive have already granted a waiver to Razvan Preotu for reason of an exam and high school graduation ceremony.

Absolutely ridiculous. Making rules and laying down exceptions. An exam can easily be taken at a later date. Ridiculous. We are all busy. Life has priorities - pick the ones most important to you.

Comment

Hopefully the next Canadian Closed will have a longer lead time. Maybe Andy Shaw might organize it.

Comment

Razvan did pick the one that is most important - his education. As he should.

Comment

The executive have already granted a waiver to Razvan Preotu for reason of an exam and high school graduation ceremony.

Absolutely ridiculous. Making rules and laying down exceptions. An exam can easily be taken at a later date. Ridiculous. We are all busy. Life has priorities - pick the ones most important to you.
                      Is this 'request for exemption' part of the CFC's Handbook?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                        Is this 'request for exemption' part of the CFC's Handbook?
                        Hi Neil:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but since CFC came under the Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, it is now only legally bound by its Constitution and its By-laws. So your search re "waiver" will likely have to take place in the By-laws.

The old "Handbook" is from a prior era, and now has no legal status whatsoever.

Now some sections of the Handbook were, I believe, reproduced in the By-laws. But what was left is sort of now without any status.

The Voting Members have never, to my knowledge, passed any motion making the balance of the Handbook formal CFC "Policy". And in any event, this could not be done at all, without a total re-write of the remains of the Handbook, since the cannibalization, plus the re-incorporation, have left it an internal shambles. So I am pretty sure, if there is anything in the burned out shell of the Handbook on "waiver", it is irrelevant to any meaningful discussion, except going forward to either integrate it into a Bylaw, or for CFC to start a new "Policies" Book, and put it in there.

Maybe Vlad can answer if I am on the right track on this.

Bob (Former Voting Member)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          Hi Neil:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but since CFC came under the Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, it is now only legally bound by its Constitution and its By-laws. So your search re "waiver" will likely have to take place in the By-laws.

The old "Handbook" is from a prior era, and now has no legal status whatsoever.

Now some sections of the Handbook were, I believe, reproduced in the By-laws. But what was left is sort of now without any status.

The Voting Members have never, to my knowledge, passed any motion making the balance of the Handbook formal CFC "Policy". And in any event, this could not be done at all, without a total re-write of the remains of the Handbook, since the cannibalization, plus the re-incorporation, have left it an internal shambles. So I am pretty sure, if there is anything in the burned out shell of the Handbook on "waiver", it is irrelevant to any meaningful discussion, except going forward to either integrate it into a Bylaw, or for CFC to start a new "Policies" Book, and put it in there.

Hi Bob, OK thanks ... appreciate the info.

R.I.P. CFC Handbook

Comment

You are trending in the right direction. Passing everything in the handbook, as is, is not possible and open to legal challenges which would likely be successful. The federal government forced non-profits to change the way they operated in order to comply with the new act. I don't think its possible to put the genie back in the bottle.

The handbook still has relevance because we continue to follow large portions of it as guidelines but we do have to get a new handbook together. A number of people are working on it slowly but surely, I believe.

Voting members have certain responsibilities and rights but I am not sure that setting of policies is one of them particularly when those policies can set legal pitfalls for directors.
                            Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 17th May, 2017, 09:59 PM.

Comment

I am a high school teacher. There is no such thing as writing an exam at a later time. He would get information about the questions from his friends. He could put his acceptances to university at risk. I am not saying he should get an exception, but school does come first in this situation.

Comment

Hi Neil:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but since CFC came under the Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, it is now only legally bound by its Constitution and its By-laws.
                                We are also bound by the not for profit act in addition to our Constitution and By-laws.

Comment

Working...
                                X