Attention Larry Bevand - Moderators needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Larry Bevand - Moderators needed!

Larry, this discussion board is in serious need of a moderator. Please look at postings in the Trump thread. The posts have devolved to base insults and name calling. They have no bearing to the purpose of this board, namely discussion of chess in general and chess in Canada in particular.

Please take action on this matter. This sort of postings does not serve Chesstalk and in fact harms the reputation of this board. Thank you.

Re: Attention Larry Bevand - Moderators needed!

Devolved to base insults and name calling? The president of the CFC used a race-based insult pages ago. Why didn't you speak up then?

I agree that Belzberg has a brought a new level of vulgarity to the boards, but the racist nature of Whissel's and Drkulec's remarks are far more alarming and worthy of moderation. Belzberg has a potty mouth but he's harmless.
    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

I actually have experience moderating both other message boards, as well as Twitch chats, which are known for being both cruel as well as chaotic. In some Twitch chats, you can have over 100,000 people talking at once, all competing for the attention of the masses. It is quite the sight to behold. By contrast, the slow and precise nature of the posts on Chesstalk would be a cinch to handle. Just let me know!

Comment

Perhaps I could have / should have spoken sooner, but that's beside the point. I'm speaking up now, and my post is still valid.

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
          Devolved to base insults and name calling? The president of the CFC used a race-based insult pages ago. Why didn't you speak up then?

I agree that Belzberg has a brought a new level of vulgarity to the boards, but the racist nature of Whissel's and Drkulec's remarks are far more alarming and worthy of moderation. Belzberg has a potty mouth but he's harmless.
          Alarming and worthy of moderation..yes. If it was up to me, I would leave everything as it is though. These posts show true character.

Comment

At the risk of offending Larry or putting words in his mouth, he is not really interested in having a moderator to stop the content you reference. He told me so in an email. Anything that drives traffic away was to be avoided. This after I shut down a post after an anti-semitic cartoon was posted. An employee complained that he still had more rants to make. I told him to drop it in a fashion that he often uses on this board, and then I was no longer a moderator. True character revealed all around.

Comment

good luck Lucas!

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
              I actually have experience moderating both other message boards, as well as Twitch chats, which are known for being both cruel as well as chaotic. In some Twitch chats, you can have over 100,000 people talking at once, all competing for the attention of the masses. It is quite the sight to behold. By contrast, the slow and precise nature of the posts on Chesstalk would be a cinch to handle. Just let me know!
              aha ha ha ha. I've got news for you, Lucas. It's an unpaid assignment, you will have no authority to do anything but close threads, you will get zero support from admin., and if you decide to participate in the discussion, some lout who doesn't share your opinion will complain (on another board in a cowardly manner) and get you removed as moderator.

Nikolay is right. The ugly posts show true character. But they also effectively silence many posters. Just look how few women bother to post here.
              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                Perhaps I could have / should have spoken sooner, but that's beside the point. I'm speaking up now, and my post is still valid.
                To sanitize a public forum is treacherous at Best ... the OCC did this awhile back. Soon you'll be banning blocks of IPs, deleting threads with lesser and lesser validation, and before you know it you've turned into a polite shade of gray.

Vibrant communities use colorful language, vulgarity can be a part of that.

If anything I would suggest that CT update this forum to a new template.

Comment

Thanks for the insight into past moderation attempts. Now I know why my post-reports were not actioned.

Comment

Hi Garland,

I have not looked at the posts in question. We have tried moderators in the past and each time I was getting more complaints than without moderators. BTW, Chesstalk is still for sale :). We have had two offers so far but far below the price we are looking for.

Larry

Comment

Simply add a 3rd option to "Chesstalk" and "Parlons Echecs" - let's call it "Non-chess" - and all the Trump stuff can go there. Look at other chess boards - they all have other options. Our group isn't active enough to need all kinds of sub-divisions, but "Non-chess" seems sufficient I would think.

e.g.

http://www.aussiechess.com.au/ and its competitor
                      http://www.chesschat.org/
                      http://www.chessforums.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                        Hi Garland,

I have not looked at the posts in question. We have tried moderators in the past and each time I was getting more complaints than without moderators. BTW, Chesstalk is still for sale :). We have had two offers so far but far below the price we are looking for.

Larry
                        If the CFC were in charge of chesstalk we would censor it and ban certain posters. This is precisely the reason that chesstalk would not do well under our control and why it has no value from our point of view as something we might be interested in acquiring. As a result the lying social justice warrior loons like Ben Daswani have free reign to say whatever they will.

Comment

Originally posted by lying ben daswani View Post

You are a liar and clearly no where near as smart as you claim to be. I made no racist posts. Don't you have some murderers or rapists to spring from prison on a technicality?
                          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 8th May, 2017, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I'll let people decide for themselves whether you made a racist comment or not.

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                            I don't see the Democratic party in its current form while doubling down on the policies that caused them to lose in 2016 will offer the majority of people what they want. Right now it looks like Pocahontas Elizabeth Warren is the front runner.
                            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                              Hi Garland,

Larry
                              Hi Larry,
                              How much are you asking for chesstalk? How many active posters does the site have and how many unique hits does it get on an average month?
                              Best,
                              Sid

Comment

Working...
                              X