X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Photograph Books

Chess Photograph Books

May 24, 2017

There has been the recent announcement of a book of photographs by David Llada:

Quality Chess is delighted to announce the publication of the book The Thinkers, by the world’s premier chess photographer, David Llada.

“I have been working on this project for the past five years, and I couldn’t think of a better publisher for it,” says the author.

“Quality Chess has published over one hundred books and all of them of the highest quality, yet it is my goal to make this one special.”

Conceived as a coffee-table book, The Thinkers will be a visual tribute to the game of chess where the “reader” will see the emotions, efforts and desires of chess players and feel the mental intensity only chess can command. The book will include some of the most iconic portraits of the contemporary stars, as well as emotional shots of everyman players. From Las Vegas to Tehran or from Mombasa to North of the Arctic Circle, David Llada has travelled the world intensively to capture the richness and variety of chess in full.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Born 1978, David Llada started a career as a chess teacher and journalist at a young age. Despite having expanded his professional horizons outside the chess world, he still finds time to cover top events as a contributor to Spanish newspaper “El Mundo”.

Llada was the official photographer of the Chess Olympiads in Istanbul (2012), Tromsø (2014) and Baku (2016), as well as the Women’s World Championship in Iran (2017). Some of his photographs have been exhibited at the Royal Festival Hall at the Southbank Centre in London and the Civilization Museum in Quebec, Canada, among others. The Thinkers will be his first photography book, following a biography on Anatoly Karpov (2006) and a manual on how to teach chess for professional teachers and parents (2016).
    _________

I believe I have three other such books in my collection:

1) Diel, Alfred & Lindorfer, Klaus – The World Champions of Chess – Olms – 1979 – 17 photos

2) Jaeg, Catherine – Passion en noir et blanc – Broodthaers et Kok – 1990 - 109 pp

3) Benson, Harry – Bobby Fischer – Powerhouse Books – 2011 – 144 pp

These are books comprised predominantly of photographs of one or more grandmasters. If you have any suggested additions of similar works to the list, I would like to hear them.
    ________

I also have been informed that a chess photograph book by Boris Dolmatovsky has just been published.
    Shakhmaty v objective Borisa Dolmatovskovo (Chess through the Lens of Boris Dolmatovsky).

He was born in 1942 and is known as one of the best Russian chess photographers. His work shows chess history of the last 50 years, primarily in Russia - from Botvinnik in the 1960s to the present, including world championship matches and other major events. Dolmatovsky is appreciated by both chess players (Karpov, Kasparov, Kramnik and others) and experts in photography. The book contains 200+ photos with description.

Published in 2017, in Russian, 208 pp.

Re: Chess Photograph Books

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
    These are books comprised predominantly of photographs of one or more grandmasters. If you have any suggested additions of similar works to the list, I would like to hear them.
    A thin (~50 pages) and full of pictures book "Garry Kasparov" (in Russian "Гарри Каспаров") by Karamov (Карамов) was published in 1988. The cover is with Garry sitting like in prayer.

Comment

Re: Chess Photograph Books

"A Picture History of Chess" by Fred Wilson (Dover Publications, 1981) covers most of the great players of the last 150 years.

Comment

Working...
      X