Canadian Closed 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Closed 2019

Personally and I know Kerry LIles will EITHER POST THIS edit it OR DELETE IT.
    The Canadian Closed should be one representative from each Province and Territory competing to be Canadian Champion. Each area can sponsor their own Champion.It's time TO SEND A CHAMPION of all Canada not just the area where event is played. If ALL Champions cannot compete then it is not a Canadian closed championship?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      I am being intentionally vague on the details of a qualifying system. Mostly because I haven't thought it out yet, but would also like to hear ideas from others.
      Bob, whatever you'll do keep in mind that it is a CHAMPIONSHIP and not a festival to attract all kind of players. Don't create a too complicated qualifying system - unless you'll organize them all by himself LOL
      My 2cnts - a goal to have only over 2300 players in Closed, all other in a different section (or sections) - the Amateur championship with an easier time schedule :)

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
        The Canadian Closed should be one representative from each Province and Territory competing to be Canadian Champion. Each area can sponsor their own Champion.
        I do like this idea. It's in line with other championships like curling.

Can we get the associations from the different provinces and territories to decide on a provincial championship and help cover the travel costs? That's the key.

Options may be to organize by regions, say Atlantic provinces, Quebec, Ontario, Prairies, Alberta, BC, and the Territories. Toss in a wild card (previous Canadian Champion? Highest rated play not already selected?) and you have an 8 player round robin that can be run over a week + a weekend. For any area not nominating a champion, add another wild card until you get 8 players. It is small, manageable, and would produce someone who could be justified to be champion.

Provinces with large numbers could hold provincial championships to determine the winner, with prize fund being travel expenses covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          Don't create a too complicated qualifying system - unless you'll organize them all by himself LOL
          Let me explain a little further. I am not adding any tournaments to the schedule. Existing tournaments become qualifiers, if they choose.
          For example, the Aurora Fall Open 2018 may choose to be a Closed qualifier. Organizers pay say $10 per player in Open Section.
          All players in the Open section with a performance rating over say 2000 (minimum 4 games) are qualified for the Closed. They still pay the entry fee for the Closed, but are eligible to play.
          As with the CYCC, there are other methods to qualify (top rated players, past champions, etc.)
          Perhaps, for the Closed, all GM and IM are automatically qualified.

I seem to be going in the opposite direction from the rest of you. I want the Closed to be a larger event.
          Everyone else seems to want a smaller event, only the top players. I don't think this is feasible without big sponsors. If you can do it, okay. I am working on a model that doesn't require big sponsor money.
          Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Wednesday, 2nd August, 2017, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Closed qualifier could also be done online with a rating floor.

Comment

Sorry, double post.

Grrr vBulletin 4.2.3!

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                Personally and I know Kerry LIles will EITHER POST THIS edit it OR DELETE IT.
                The Canadian Closed should be one representative from each Province and Territory competing to be Canadian Champion. Each area can sponsor their own Champion.It's time TO SEND A CHAMPION of all Canada not just the area where event is played. If ALL Champions cannot compete then it is not a Canadian closed championship?
                I don't know what you are talking about. I have never deleted any post. I have not edited anyone's post except my own. At one time I had an admin login here at CT but that was to look into some issues for Larry and Christian Lacasse and I do not recall using any admin functions on CT.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  Sorry, No. The motivation is NOT make the event smaller or stronger, but to create interest in the Closed in the months preceding.
                  Hopefully some inactive 2000+ players would come out to compete at the club or weekender to qualify instead of just qualifying by rating.
                  In the old days a 16 player round-robin was long and always left out important players. These days with only 9 rounds, adding too many lower players affects the final standings. A swiss sac usually results in easier pairings to the top. I think 36 players over 2300 is ideal, but needs sponsorship. If have lower players, then they have to pay a high entry fee. Having active, hungry juniors over 2000 might work, if only a few (ten) are let in. A 100 player event is too watered down.

Comment

Working...
                  X