Internet Fraud...can anyone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Fraud...can anyone help?

We have received an order for goods and there is no doubt that this is a fraud. I contacted the RCMP which was a waste of time. I then contacted Mastercard...and that was simply too funny! Anyway, does someone know the best place to report internet fraud?

Thanks!

Lary

Re: Internet Fraud...can anyone help?

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    We have received an order for goods and there is no doubt that this is a fraud. I contacted the RCMP which was a waste of time. I then contacted Mastercard...and that was simply too funny! Anyway, does someone know the best place to report internet fraud?

Thanks!

Lary
    contact a newspaper and mention RCMP's and Mastecard's responses:
    they will have a story;
    you will have your company name read by thousands;

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Thanks!

Lary
      How about this Larry?

https://www.recol.ca/intro.aspx?lang=en

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
        Hi Neil,

That was the site I had found also. I filed a complaint there about two weeks ago....no one has gotten back to me...yet :)

Larry

Comment

This reminds me of one of my old jobs, selling cell phones for a major US carrier. I got a call one day for a guy wanting to set up an account for his business. He had all the info for the credit check to work, etc, and got approved for a basic business account - 50 phones.

I knew it was fraud - people are never looking for exactly *50* phones, and he didn't seem to care how many he got, nor did he really care about his rate plans. What he did care about was all the accessories - 250 high end accessories to go with his 50 brand new top of the line phones. The whole order came to about $32000 USD.

Of course I clicked on the fraud box - so the fraud department should have looked the company up in 411 and called to confirm. What actually happened? They just shipped the order out, and gave me a bonus.

I checked the account a few weeks later - sure enough, closed for fraud. But someone probably made a killing on those phones on ebay.
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
            This reminds me of one of my old jobs, selling cell phones for a major US carrier. I got a call one day for a guy wanting to set up an account for his business. He had all the info for the credit check to work, etc, and got approved for a basic business account - 50 phones.

I knew it was fraud - people are never looking for exactly *50* phones, and he didn't seem to care how many he got, nor did he really care about his rate plans. What he did care about was all the accessories - 250 high end accessories to go with his 50 brand new top of the line phones. The whole order came to about $32000 USD.

Of course I clicked on the fraud box - so the fraud department should have looked the company up in 411 and called to confirm. What actually happened? They just shipped the order out, and gave me a bonus.

I checked the account a few weeks later - sure enough, closed for fraud. But someone probably made a killing on those phones on ebay.
            Hi Chris,

I know a few retailers who have been caught. One received an order for $16,000. He was a little suspicious so he called Visa for an authorization number for the transaction. Visa gave it to him. When it turned out that the card was fraudulant the retailer was forced to eat the $16,000.

In my case, when I called Mastercard a couple of days ago (and was transferred from one place to the other), finally one person said to me that the credit card number was not valid. For fun, I ran a transaction of 1 cent on our terminal...well...the transaction passed no problem :)

Larry

Comment

Working...
            X