Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Trump - The NEW, New Thread

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
    I find it odd (but not really) that in a thread about Trump, you express your being sickened by someone as relatively impotent as Linda Sarsour, while elsewhere in our little community, people are (more appropriately) outraged by Trump treating a Boy Scouts convention like a political rally--dare I make the comparison? I've never made it before, but God damn, it may have just finally become appropriate--like a fucking Hitler Youth rally.

Your old, conservative, lily little straight white male ass is more worried about a feminist activist than a leader of state who displays fascist behavior, because he's not a threat to you personally. What's really sickening, right here, on ChessTalk? You.
    Trump is an ass. He didn't and doesn't hide it. Despite that tens of millions of US citizens voted for him. Is it because he is perfect? Is it because he is white, straight, a male? I don't think so. I think they chose Trump because the alternative wasn't perfection but rather Hillary Clinton.

I will dispense with your last paragraph with the thought that if this is the best that tens of thousands of dollars of education will buy you, you should request a rebate. ;-)

P.S. I am a fiscal conservative but mostly a social liberal.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
      An article about two men: one, a man of integrity; the other, a piece of human filth.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-d...ccains-heroism
      It sure would seem from the article that McCain is a man of integrity, at least when he was young.

As he aged, I would call him something else. Jimmy Carter, at least, would agree with me:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...is-a-warmonger
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

• Was it the Russians or was it the Democrat's own IT contractors

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...e-country.html

There are a whole lot of inappropriate things going on on Democrat computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
          Trump is an ass.
          Trump to reinstate US military ban on transgender people

Trump was an ass when he was a rich playboy. When an ass of that magnitude ascends to the Presidency, he's no longer merely an ass, but a fucking fascist. Why can't you comprehend that? Is it because you're white, so he's not deporting your family members? Is it because you're male, so he's not appointing judges that are intent on restricting your access to medical procedures? Is it because you're straight and cis, so he's not treating you like a second class citizen and banning you from government work? Is it because you're Canadian, and are simply ignorant to what's happening in the United States? Or is it because you're all these things, and because your selfish ass is unable to imagine what it might be like to not be all these things and to be under attack from Trump and the neo-fascist religious faction of the Republican Party whose ascendancy to power he's facilitated?

I am a fiscal conservative but mostly a social liberal.
          Are you familiar with the term RINO? Republican In Name Only? You're a LION. Libertarian In Only Name. :)

If you want to claim to be socially liberal, you have to believe in the equality of men and women. And when you actively participate in the normalization of sexual assault by dismissing the President having bragged about sexual assault as normal "locker room" talk, you're actively harming women.

You remind me of this classic joke about libertarians:

Republicans be like, "Have you ever hated the poor?"
          Libertarians be like, "Have you ever hated the poor... on weeeeeeeeed?

Thankfully, my generation of libertarians is saving the good name of libertarianism by recognizing:
          a) that systemic modes of oppression exist in our society; and
          b) that dismantling these systemic modes of oppression is imperative to creating a society in which everyone is a free actor.

When you participate in the normalization of these systemic modes of oppression, as you do, you are doing the opposite of creating of a society in which everyone is a free actor. Your contribution to this world, at least on ChessTalk, is to reinforce the oppressive norms of a society in which some actors are more free than others.
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
            You would have to contact your local Mensa branch. I would expect it does but have no idea if each branch gives the exact same test or if it is similar in structure but the ordering of figures ,words to unscramble, etc are different.
            Uh, no, I think you'll have to contact your local Mensa branch. I've already offered to write two tests, one I've never written before in my life, which Mensa recognizes as IQ tests. To my knowledge, they are the only tests recognized as IQ tests by Mensa that can be written in such a way that people in different cities (or even countries) can write identical tests at the same time. Despite this, they were deemed unacceptable by you. If you think there's another suitable test, you find it. I'm not your errand boy.

You remind me of Trump. You hadn't mentioned your precious IQ for ages, then as soon as I pointed out that Israeli police engaged in religious discrimination, and pointed out that you were justifying it, you bring it up again. You're always trying to distract from the real issues. In Israel, Muslims are, at times, treated like second class citizens. This is a fact. And justifying it makes you an Islamophobe.

Now go on and deflect some more by bragging about your results on some Internet IQ test.
            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Trump to reinstate US military ban on transgender people

Trump was an ass when he was a rich playboy. When an ass of that magnitude ascends to the Presidency, he's no longer merely an ass, but a fucking fascist. Why can't you comprehend that? Is it because you're white, so he's not deporting your family members? Is it because you're male, so he's not appointing judges that are intent on restricting your access to medical procedures? Is it because you're straight and cis, so he's not treating you like a second class citizen and banning you from government work? Is it because you're Canadian, and are simply ignorant to what's happening in the United States? Or is it because you're all these things, and because your selfish ass is unable to imagine what it might be like to not be all these things and to be under attack from Trump and the neo-fascist religious faction of the Republican Party whose ascendancy to power he's facilitated?

Are you familiar with the term RINO? Republican In Name Only? You're a LION. Libertarian In Only Name. :)

If you want to claim to be socially liberal, you have to believe in the equality of men and women. And when you actively participate in the normalization of sexual assault by dismissing the President having bragged about sexual assault as normal "locker room" talk, you're actively harming women.

You remind me of this classic joke about libertarians:

Republicans be like, "Have you ever hated the poor?"
              Libertarians be like, "Have you ever hated the poor... on weeeeeeeeed?

Thankfully, my generation of libertarians is saving the good name of libertarianism by recognizing:
              a) that systemic modes of oppression exist in our society; and
              b) that dismantling these systemic modes of oppression is imperative to creating a society in which everyone is a free actor.

When you participate in the normalization of these systemic modes of oppression, as you do, you are doing the opposite of creating of a society in which everyone is a free actor. Your contribution to this world, at least on ChessTalk, is to reinforce the oppressive norms of a society in which some actors are more free than others.
              Trump is a fascist ... in your opinion. Shockingly other people disagree. Evidently tens of millions of people have a different opinion, unless of course you believe that: 1) these people are a bunch of idiots and/or 2) these people want to live under fascism. Or perhaps they are all just straight white males and you are simultaneously heterophobic, racist and sexist. If so, bravo to you in your efficiency.

If Trump is deporting people I imagine it is because they are breaking the law in being there. I imagine if I just walked across the border tomorrow and tried to live in the US they would try to deport me, too.

What medical procedures? Has Roe v Wade been overturned? I must have missed that.

I have no idea specifically why Trump tweeted what he did. Maybe he wants to protect trangendered people, since being in the military seems a dangerous job (from the Paul Bonham school of "any explanation is possible").
              Seriously, I prefer to save judgement until I hear the rationale and the result of any court case.

And ya, I am a Canadian so I care more about who would be more likely to lead the world into war. I judge Trump as having less of a chance.

In chess terms, Clinton is a move that loses a piece. Trump is an unknown move that could lead to any result. I would choose the unknown evil over the known evil every time.

I find it scary that you would consider yourself libertarian. I consider you no less authoritarian than the Christian Coalition types of the late 1980s / early 1990s (see: Pat Robertson). Different set of convictions, but all of them of the type that because you believe in something I must believe it, too. Further I must walk lockstep with you or I am some sort of evildoer. Sorry, try again. I'm not buying it.
              Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Wednesday, 26th July, 2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Daswani is trolling you, Tom. He is no more a libertarian than Obama was. He is saying whatever will gain a reaction. I am sure the Daswani who posts here is a racist though perhaps in real life he isn't so overt. His hatred for Israel and Jewish people and people who are white is clear in his postings here.

Comment

Uh, no, I think you'll have to contact your local Mensa branch. I've already offered to write two tests, one I've never written before in my life, which Mensa recognizes as IQ tests. To my knowledge, they are the only tests recognized as IQ tests by Mensa that can be written in such a way that people in different cities (or even countries) can write identical tests at the same time. Despite this, they were deemed unacceptable by you. If you think there's another suitable test, you find it. I'm not your errand boy.

You remind me of Trump. You hadn't mentioned your precious IQ for ages, then as soon as I pointed out that Israeli police engaged in religious discrimination, and pointed out that you were justifying it, you bring it up again. You're always trying to distract from the real issues. In Israel, Muslims are, at times, treated like second class citizens. This is a fact. And justifying it makes you an Islamophobe.

Now go on and deflect some more by bragging about your results on some Internet IQ test.
                  Ben you are just making up excuses because you do not want to lose $1000.00. I can't fill out forms for you to schedule a test https://www.us.mensa.org/join/testin...local-contact/. You made the offer not me. Next time you open your big mouth with a wager offer think if you can win it or not. Now you just look like an idiot trying to slither out of a bet that you probably would lose.

As for distracting from the real issues you simply want to make Israel look bad for trying to prevent loss of life. Hamas uses the same tactics by hiding women and children among terrorists during bombing raids. You talk about how i am homophobic, transphobic etc. Go to Gaza for a while and see how they treat gays and trans people or for that matter anyone that does not practice Islam the way they say it should be practiced replete with Jihad.
                  Like I said your words are as worthless as the offers and challenges you post here. I brought up the test challenges so that the chesstalk community could see for themselves just how hollow you really are. .
                  Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 26th July, 2017, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Internet trolls almost never show up for their challenges. I say almost never because once a troll showed up for a social gathering on a usenet group after I guaranteed his personal safety.

Daswani is a typical social justice warrior criticizing the only open democracy in the middle east where jewish and muslim residents get to vote on an equal basis and where all of his designated groups are not persecuted.

Comment

Ben you are just making up excuses because you do not want to lose $1000.00.
                      ... You made the offer not me.
                      First of all, you made the offer. I offered Whissell and Drkulec; then you stepped in and challenged me. If you want me to accept the challenge, suggest a challenge that meets the material terms of the challenge I set forth to Whissell and Drkulec.

Second of all, I don't want to lose $1000? Let's look at what I've proposed. I've proposed writing the LSAT. I've proposed writing the GMAT. Both of these tests are considered by Mensa to be IQ tests, and both of these tests offer identical tests at multiple cities simultaneously. If you think about it, I'm a lawyer so I should have an edge in the LSAT, and you're a businessman so you should have an edge in the GMAT. The fair thing might well be to write both tests and either parlay or add the scores somehow. But who has time for that?

I am not surprised that you did not want to use the LSAT or GMAT for a bet. As I mentioned in this thread, Republicans distrust higher education, according to a recent poll. It's not surprising that you'd not trust the results of tests which higher education institutions across the board use to measure intellectual aptitude.

As for distracting from the real issues you simply want to make Israel look bad for trying to prevent loss of life.
                      No, I want to point out that Israel isn't perfect, and that religious discrimination goes on there. You have, many times, complained about the Democrats' treatment of Israel. You have said that Obama "stabbed Israel in the back" (or something to that effect) when the US abstained from a UN Security Council vote that, besides the States' abstention, went 14-0 against what you believe are Israel's interests. All I'm pointing out is that maybe, just maybe, sometimes Israel is the aggressor; sometimes Israel is at fault; sometimes Israel has policies which are not in the interests of freedom and equality.

There's no doubt that Israel is far from the worst actor as far as nations in the region go, but here's the thing: no one on ChessTalk is claiming that criticizing other nations in the region is anti-Muslim. You, however, accuse anyone who doesn't side with Israel on every issue as being anti-Israel, even when 14 other nations (out of 14) side against Israel. That is an extremist view.

No one needs to point out that Saudi Arabia is fucked; everyone knows this. You, however, evidently don't realize that Israel has problems, too. That's why I pointed out the religious discrimination. And, sure enough, you displayed your extremism, not by justifying the religious discrimination, which would have been one thing, but by arguing that it wasn't religious discrimination when it, by the most literal definition ever, was.

You are busy arguing with points you're imagining I'm trying to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Daswani
                        I offered Whissell and Drkulec; then you stepped in and challenged me
                        Correct, and at the time you suggested you saw no evidence that I was a racist and therefore had no interest in kicking me off this board. Since then you have posted numerous times that you consider anyone that supports Trump (you put me in that category) as a racist and therefore your original reason is gone so I suggested that by your reasoning I qualify for your challenge.
                        You then said I need to risk a $1000.00 also "your a rich guy" and I agreed to that. Now you don't consider the Mensa IQ test as acceptable (by the way who cares if we write it a few weeks apart) and have said all kinds of other baloney.
                        The GMAT and LSAT can easily be aced by anyone that wants to practice. I have a relative who did terrible on the LSAT the first time and aced it the second time. I know a women who makes her living successfully training all kinds of kids to ace the GMAT. So I will stick to the regular Mensa IQ test. I think you could even practice your way to a higher IQ score, however, I do not know this for sure, I do know for sure that is the case with LSAT and GMAT. So, yes, I would trust a standard IQ test as more reliable then LSAT or GMAT. The Mensa workout quiz suggested I would do just fine on their main test as did one other randomly selected online IQ test so that is what I will stick with.
                        By the way when you declined my initial challenge it was you who offered the other challenge involving both sides putting up money. You don't want to agree to a standard Mensa admission test just shows how full of crap you are. So that alone is worth the price of admission for me.
                        Republicans distrust higher education, according to a recent poll. It's not surprising that you'd not trust the results of tests which higher education institutions across the board use to measure intellectual aptitude.
                        As for not trusting higher learning institutions I have a Bsc from the University of Alberta with a major in molecular genetics and a minor in physics. i also worked as a young man in a research lab at the U of A in the department of Genetics and have always had a keen interest in nature and fully appreciate the importance of higher learning institutions. You are all about what you claim to be fighting (tarring large groups of people with the same brush). In short you are the bigot not me.

As for Israel targeting based on "religious discrimination' because they don't want their citizen's murdered at a particular place at a particular time. That's about as laughable as your proclivity to honor your bets. Islam the way it is in Gaza, Saudi Arabia and Iran is a theocracy, not a religion. So if Israel wants to target those that believe it is a great idea for Israel not to exist I stand 100 percent behind them.
                        Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 26th July, 2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                          Trump is a fascist ... in your opinion. Shockingly other people disagree.
                          He banned trans people from the military. That's a fascist move. He turned a Boy Scouts convention into a political rally, railing against past leaders and political opponents. That's a fascist move. That was just this week. That's been his game for a while now, though. He spent years fostering bullshit, racist rumors about the legitimacy of the birth certificate of a political opponent, and then parlayed that into political popularity. That's a fascist fucking move.

Evidently tens of millions of people have a different opinion, unless of course you believe that: 1) these people are a bunch of idiots and/or 2) these people want to live under fascism. Or perhaps they are all just straight white males and you are simultaneously heterophobic, racist and sexist. If so, bravo to you in your efficiency.
                          There are lots of reasons why people vote for Trump; it's usually a combination of factors. Here are some things I think on the matter:

1. Lots of people are dumb. Half of people are dumber than average. They can't reason well at all.
                          2. Because many people can't reason well, they sometimes vote against their own interests.
                          3. Additionally, people have interests that are different from my own. My interests are freedom, and applying freedom equally among actors.
                          4. Most people are very self-interested.
                          5. People are xenophobic.
                          6. People who can't reason well are often xenophobic.
                          7. Xenophobia is not always the result of stupidity. Sometimes smart people are xenophobic.
                          8. There are a lot of people who suffer from systemic prejudice because of their immutable characteristics.
                          9. Conservative people and conservative sympathizers are less likely than average to be the type of person described in #8.
                          10. When one is xenophobic, coping with one's xenophobia can often be a primary interest.

Studies indicate that social liberals are more intelligent than social conservatives. Studies indicate that social liberals are more educated than social conservatives. Studies indicate that social liberals are more trusting of higher education than social conservatives. These are established facts. I won't even bring up the correlation between irreligion and intelligence and the correlation between irreligion and liberalism, and what that implies... oops, already did. :)

So, different people are Trump supporters, or Trump apologists, or just oblivious non-partisans failing to recognize the severe magnitude of the affront to freedom to which the Trump presidency and the religious conservative takeover speaks, for different reasons.

You?

3. Additionally, people have interests that are different from my own. My interests are freedom, and applying freedom equally among actors.
                          I think you value freedom from the state, but that's not valuing freedom, and certainly not the application of freedom equally among actors. You're more anti-state than pro-freedom, at least in my book. Like, as I've mentioned before, you were dismissive of the President bragging about committing sexual assault. Sexual assault is an egregious affront to freedom. One in six women will be the victim of rape in her lifetime, and that's just rape. Other, less severe forms of sexual assault are much more prevalent. Tens of millions of women have been the victim of sexual assault and you dismiss the President bragging about committing it as normal "locker room" talk. It seems like you're only really aggrieved about affronts to freedom when they're committed by the state, not citizens.

4. Most people are very self-interested.
                          You don't seem that worried about Trump violating the freedoms of groups you don't belong to. You also seem interested in the maintenance of your privilege.

9. Conservative people and conservative sympathizers are less likely than average to be the type of person described in #8.
                          You're definitely not the type of person described in #8.

If Trump is deporting people I imagine it is because they are breaking the law in being there. I imagine if I just walked across the border tomorrow and tried to live in the US they would try to deport me, too.
                          A supposed libertarian suddenly cares about the state's border laws? Why would a libertarian care about undocumented immigrants who come somewhere, work, contribute to the economy, and live their lives peacefully?

What medical procedures? Has Roe v Wade been overturned? I must have missed that.
                          Not yet, because the Supreme Court doesn't have the votes for it yet. But Trump appointed a Supreme Court justice who's voted in favor of religious fundamentalist policies which tighten restrictions on abortions.

I have no idea specifically why Trump tweeted what he did. Maybe he wants to protect trangendered people, since being in the military seems a dangerous job
                          I can't even imagine the cognitive dissonance that goes into facilitating such a thought.

I find it scary that you would consider yourself libertarian. I consider you no less authoritarian than the Christian Coalition types of the late 1980s / early 1990s (see: Pat Robertson). Different set of convictions, but all of them of the type that because you believe in something I must believe it, too. Further I must walk lockstep with you or I am some sort of evildoer. Sorry, try again. I'm not buying it.
                          I've never used the word evil. That's Drkulec talk. I think we have different interests. I don't think my interests are in any way "better" or "more just" or "more good" than yours. I am a moral anti-realist, to be honest. But I do want my interests, and not yours, furthered. Don't we all? I consider my interests to be under threat right now, so I've taken a hard-line view. There's a culture war going on, between people fighting for freedom and tolerance, and people fighting against it. Anyone claiming to be in the middle is on the other side.

And don't give me some bullshit about how I'm intolerant of others' views. Tolerance is about being tolerant of immutable characteristics. People should, in fact, be judged on their views.

Contrary to what you're claiming, I don't care if you share my views or not. You can believe whatever you want. But I'm going to call shit as I see it. And what I see is you calling Linda Sarsour a "feminist activist" (using quotation marks yourself, as if there's some sort of illegitimacy or suspension of reality embedded in the term), even though she's mostly known as an activist in the Muslim-American and Arab-American communities, not explicitly feminist communities, and then describing her views as sickening. You went out of your way to tie feminism to something you deem sickening, but you dismiss you-know-what-by-now as "locker room" talk. It's not a good look for a supposed libertarian.

Comment

The GMAT and LSAT can easily be aced by anyone that wants to practice.
                            But less than 0.1% of people who write them ace them. Are you saying that despite the fact that acing the test guarantees a scholarship to a top school, less than 0.1% "want[] to practice" since they're the only ones who ace it? This is the logic you're bringing to the table? I can see why you're afraid to write the LSAT and GMAT.

Also, it's true for any IQ test, obviously, that you can improve by practicing it. The LSAT and GMAT are not special in that regard. So I don't buy that that's the reason you don't want to write it. And anyway, couldn't you just practice and ace it then?

As for Israel targeting based on "religious discrimination' because they don't want their citizen's murdered at a particular place at a particular time.
                            Finally! You admit it was religious discrimination.

Why didn't they just ban all males under 50, instead of just Muslim males under 50? How would that have led to their citizens being murdered?

Comment

But less than 0.1% of people who write them ace them. Are you saying that despite the fact that acing the test guarantees a scholarship to a top school, less than 0.1% "want[] to practice" since they're the only ones who ace it? This is the logic you're bringing to the table? I can see why you're afraid to write the LSAT and GMAT.

Also, it's true for any IQ test, obviously, that you can improve by practicing it. The LSAT and GMAT are not special in that regard. So I don't buy that that's the reason you don't want to write it. And anyway, couldn't you just practice and ace it then?

Why didn't they just ban all males under 50, instead of just Muslim males under 50? How would that have led to their citizens being murdered?
                              less than 0.1% "want to practice"
                              Practicing and "mindful learning" are quite different. Many pianists for example practice for hours but few practice with mindful learning that really does separate the good from the truly great.
                              couldn't you just practice and ace it then?
                              Yes, but there is no reason for me to do that when I am confident I can do fine on a standard IQ test without having to practice. You remind of Bill Clinton "define sex". Besides, at this point I am comfortable that you have demonstrated to everyone on this board what you are, so whether or not you went through with the bet is now irrelevant to me. i got what i wanted out of this by bringing up the subject of your challenge. Not bad for a dumb conservative huh?

No, I put the phrase "religious discrimination" in quotation marks. I am sure that even you can figure that out and am surprised that you apparently did not notice that.
                              Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 26th July, 2017, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Besides, at this point I am comfortable that you have demonstrated to everyone on this board what you are, so whether or not you went through with the bet is now irrelevant to me.
                                LSAT or GMAT, buddy. I'll do a test anytime. Name the date. $1000. You're the only one who's backing down.

No, I put the phrase "religious discrimination" in quotation marks. I am sure that even you can figure that out and am surprised that you apparently did not notice that.
                                So? What the fuck? Fine, you don't admit it; you're still being an idiot then.

Also, you dodged a direct question, as usual.

Comment

Working...
                                X