Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Trump - The NEW, New Thread

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Trump's approval rating continues declining.

538 (Nate Silver) - 36.6%
    Real Clear Politics - 38.0%

These are both averages of several major polls.
    I am sure that these numbers are the same as last time when you consider the margins of error.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      I am sure that these numbers are the same as last time when you consider the margins of error.
      Don't worry about The Donald's polls right now... I'm doubt they'll be a factor further down the road in regard to whatever is in store of real significance.

Fwiw, during the 2016 election campaign my only sibling, Neil (not meaning Mr. Frarey) said to me he didn't think Trump would be a good politician. I replied "What do you mean? He's lying, blustering and bullying his opponents... he's an excellent politician". Neil just grinned. :)

When it comes to cold-blooded, cynical predictions, my usual political genius deserted me when it came to Kevin O'Leary running for the Conservative leadership that year, however. My brother said Kevin wouldn't be a good politician, either. I replied that he'd win due to his celebrity factor, much like Trudeau the Son did, and that Kevin would be the only hope of defeating Justin in the next federal election. Clearly, like my namesake did, I underestimated the matter of him only being unilingual (he gave up early due to it, anyway).
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Interesting article by long time Democrat Alan Dershowitz
        http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/al...rticle/2618871

Here is an interesting background to what Intersectionality is.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersectionality

Comment

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-d...bout-the-world
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnc2UWA7BPY

Comment

An interesting read: Education, Not Income, Predicted Who Would Vote For Trump. But what does it say about educated Trump supporters? It says sometimes you can't polish a turd.
              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                An interesting read: Education, Not Income, Predicted Who Would Vote For Trump. But what does it say about educated Trump supporters? It says sometimes you can't polish a turd.
                And speaking of not always being able to polish a turd; former Attorney General Loretta Lynch using 'Elizabeth Carlisle' as an email alias to conduct government business.

...tisk tisk.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFQ4nuUuwNo
                  everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

In the fall of 1993 I went out to San Francisco to see The Catherine Wheel in concert. San Francisco was the closest they would come to New Mexico and I was deeply enthralled by their "Ferment" LP. Also, a friend of mine had just moved there so I had reasons to go. While I was there my friend put RHP on the car stereo and said "you have got to hear these guys they are more depressing than Joy Division." When he played "Katy Song" I knew I had to get everything I could find of theirs. We parked and walked through Haight Ashbury and went to some of the best record stores in the country. I went home to Albuquerque with "Down Colorful Hill" and "Rollercoaster" the 4AD double vinyl release. "Katy Song" would become one of my favorite songs and a foreshadowing of my life.

Comment

In a new poll, half of Republicans say they would support postponing the 2020 election if Trump proposed it

In other words, half of Republicans want a dictator. These people hate America. They hate the American way of life.

Comment

Thanks for that interesting link, Sid. I assume your point is that two presidents who were supposedly a lot more intelligent and a lot more knowledgeable about foreign affairs than Trump, still managed, with benefit of hindsight, to make somewhat naive/questionable decisions w.r.t. Iran and North Korea. That may be so but it still doesn't give me any confidence in Trump's ability to deal with anything in a thoughtful, well-considered way.
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                          Thanks for that interesting link, Sid. I assume your point is that two presidents who were supposedly a lot more intelligent and a lot more knowledgeable about foreign affairs than Trump, still managed, with benefit of hindsight, to make somewhat naive/questionable decisions w.r.t. Iran and North Korea. That may be so but it still doesn't give me any confidence in Trump's ability to deal with anything in a thoughtful, well-considered way.
                          A more useful discussion would be ideas on how to deal with these issues. The election is over and few deny that both candidates left a lot to be desired. So we are facing an existensial threat by two different irresponsible regimes in North Korea and Iran. The ideas of the past presidents have clearly failed. How do you deal with a fully armed North Korea that continues with very provocative rhetoric? What tactics do you deploy in dealing with them. Japan for example claims that they can intercept ICBMS that North Korea is threatening to annihilate Guam with. But the risk of failure has unimaginable costs. Probably one of the few options that needs to be tried would be covert actions with respect to damaging the cyber infrastructure that North Korea uses to control this technology.
                          Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Thursday, 10th August, 2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

A more useful discussion would be ideas on how to deal with these issues. The election is over and few deny that both candidates left a lot to be desired. So we are facing an existensial threat by two different irresponsible regimes in China and Iran. The ideas of the past presidents have clearly failed. How do you deal with a fully armed North Korea that continues with very provocative rhetoric? What tactics do you deploy in dealing with them. Japan for example claims that they can intercept ICBMS that North Korea is threatening to annihilate Guam with. But the risk of failure has unimaginable costs. Probably one of the few options that needs to be tried would be covert actions with respect to damaging the cyber infrastructure that North Korea uses to control this technology.
                            A couple of thoughts re North Korea:

1. Trump needs to back off with the inflammatory, jingoistic rhetoric. Tillerson seems to have a good head on his shoulders. The U.S. has already scored an important diplomatic success - tougher sanctions approved by the Security Council. Trump needs to let Tillerson do his job without public interference. So, on the front burner the U.S. needs to continue intense diplomatic efforts to obtain the international support (particularly China) needed to bring North Korea to the negotiating table.

2. Behind the scenes, the U.S. needs to be working with maximum speed & efficiency to prepare itself for war with NK. It's highly unlikely that this would be a conventional war given that NK's huge standing army is only an hour from Seoul. Therefore, whether it's on a reactive basis or pre-emptive, the U.S. must be prepared for an air war and all that that entails.

Comment

• Re : Re: Trump - The NEW, New Thread

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                              A couple of thoughts re North Korea:

1. Trump needs to back off with the inflammatory, jingoistic rhetoric. Tillerson seems to have a good head on his shoulders. The U.S. has already scored an important diplomatic success - tougher sanctions approved by the Security Council. Trump needs to let Tillerson do his job without public interference. So, on the front burner the U.S. needs to continue intense diplomatic efforts to obtain the international support (particularly China) needed to bring North Korea to the negotiating table.

2. Behind the scenes, the U.S. needs to be working with maximum speed & efficiency to prepare itself for war with NK. It's highly unlikely that this would be a conventional war given that NK's huge standing army is only an hour from Seoul. Therefore, whether it's on a reactive basis or pre-emptive, the U.S. must be prepared for an air war and all that that entails.
                              http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...jong-un-215411

Comment

• Re: Re : Re: Trump - The NEW, New Thread

What an excellent article!! Thanks again, Sid.

Comment

Working...
                                X