Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario chesstalk Public Social Group' thread 1.0

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    Some of my long-term wishes are very long-term, Vlad. :) They also sometimes assume a much enlarged membership size.

P.S.: Not that many years ago a CFC presidential candidate ran on a platform that included a vision of 100,000 CFC members, and he won (or was it 1 million members?).
    I thought 10,000 was possible. I still think it is though that wouldn't change the cost dynamics of a magazine.

Comment

Also in regard to your latest post here, the idea of a SoCA newsfeed is nice. Perhaps in future it might include much news about amateur/class player level chess in Canada. Games from such levels don't much make the [online] magazine anymore, the way they commonly did in the 20th century. A SoCA mag might one day be possible, who knows?
      Had a chance to broaden this out a bit more.

Searched the innerwebs for a chess Variants news source, can't find one. Interesting links tho, thanks.

Our 3rd and final reskin will be finished this month (what's today's date?) with a soft launch shortly thereafter and a hard launch (including e-commence) targeted Xmas ...and that is going to be a lot of fun!

Chess is ...invincible.
      Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 7th August, 2017, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Hello again Neil

I've looked back on many of my old wishes about what the CFC might strive for in future, and I'll recap those you may have missed, in case you might care to post your thoughts on any of them:

Short-term wishes:
        4. Figure out how to promote chess better [as exciting] {cultural activity};
        5. Try to use community TV channels across Canada to promote chess.
        My own ideas on #4, fwiw:
        Basic principles of propaganda (aka advertising):
        A. Simplicity (appeal to the lowest common denoninator, so everyone gets the idea);
        B. Vivid imagery;
        C. Appeal to emotion.

Thus, a symbol or screen that might be used somehow is a striking royal blue background with a black-and-white chessboard smack in the middle, with or without any pieces (I would have preferred a red background, but that may be too close to Chessbase's brilliant logo).

Also, two ideas for TV spots, if ever affordable:

1) a simple shot of a coffeetable with a nice decorative chess set on it, as well a plate of cookies and two glasses of milk (no people present); then an announcer says "Remember playing chess with your grandpa? Visit the Chess Federation of Canada website to brush up in a big way". (then flash CFC address);

2) a simple shot of a park bench with a nice wooden chess set on it, as well as two cans of soda pop with straws (no people present); then an announcer says "Remember playing chess with your friends in the park? Visit the Chess Federation of Canada website to brush up in a big way". (then flash CFC address).

Inspired at all, or did I lay 3 eggs? :)
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Btw, I should have included in my last post: it may be essential to sometime make the CFC website a bit more friendly to newbies somehow (e.g. after a welcoming link to a webpage specifically for newbies, include general info for showing the ropes to aspiring players [competitive and/or club] on that page).

Comment

If I were writing a webpage to show the ropes to aspiring players (competitive and/or club), there's some things that don't present much in the way of problems to discuss. For example, telling viewers to look at the CFC webpage re: club listings, for contacts. There used to be a long list of governors (now called voting members) that also would have been useful to mention as possible contacts, in case the CFC's club page fails to list any club near where the aspiring player lives (a VM might know an unlisted club). At the moment only the CFC executives are listed as contacts, so newbies may have to settle for that as a last resort. Also, a short blurb on how aspiring players are expected to conduct themselves when games at a tournament or club are in progress (quietly, unless it's known to be casual game night at a club, or a casual club), as well as a link to the rules of chess as it applies to competitive play (a reassurance can be given that people normally take time to learn some of the finer points). Plus, mention that a club normally charges a club membership fee.

One obstacle for newbies and veterans alike that annoys me is that nowadays tournament or club organizers do not always take a CFC membership fee if it's required for playing (usually the case, i.e. to have games played CFC rated). Thus one may have to contact the CFC office to pay somehow, in plenty of time too. In the case of newbies, what kind of a welcome is that? All but require me to pay even before I might have had the chance to talk with an organizer to decide whether I might not want to play such serious chess?? At least there's a CFC tournament fee for a single event, where organizers take them, but is this made well known by the CFC or organizers? Plus, the fee is almost half an Ordinary adult membership. Anyway, at some point the welcoming webpage showing the ropes to newbies will also mention that to play rated chess, there's a rating fee for each event.

Somewhere it might be explained that a newbie may do best to first play in a club, perhaps even one without rated chess at first, if available nearby, before venturing into tournament play on weekends, where there are entry fees well over $10 normally, though people get a chance to win cash prizes. Also mention that unrated players may play in the lowest section, depending on the tournament and organizer.

The nicest part may come when describing how chess is a rewarding hobby in many ways for many people, and that there is lots of chess literature and computer resources, not to mention stuff on the internet, including practising on a chess server, and then there's the social aspect of chess.
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 11th August, 2017, 12:39 PM. Reason: Adding content

Comment

Working...
            X