2017 Canadian Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Canadian Championship

By the Way Congrats on a great Tournament Nikolay ----maybe next time have a couple of Queens in Your pockets (one for each colour of course)

David Begoray ---good luck on any appeal

Comment

1) Was there an Appeals Committee selected (or available) for this tournament?
      2) If so - was an appeal made to the Appeals Committee? (the CFC Handbook makes no mention of a timeframe, but at one time an appeal had to be made in writing within 30 minutes of the game's completion or incident/interruption).
      3) The "National Appeals Committee" chapter in the Handbook http://chess.ca/handbook#section-12 refers regularly to the (tournament) "Appeals Committee", so I'm not sure what happens if the appeal has not gone through this initial process. (I was at times a member of the NAC, and I'm fairly sure that all appeals sent to us had already gone through a tournament Appeals Committee procedure).

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        1) Was there an Appeals Committee selected (or available) for this tournament?
        2) If so - was an appeal made to the Appeals Committee? (the CFC Handbook makes no mention of a timeframe, but at one time an appeal had to be made in writing within 30 minutes of the game's completion or incident/interruption).
        3) The "National Appeals Committee" chapter in the Handbook http://chess.ca/handbook#section-12 refers regularly to the (tournament) "Appeals Committee", so I'm not sure what happens if the appeal has not gone through this initial process. (I was at times a member of the NAC, and I'm fairly sure that all appeals sent to us had already gone through a tournament Appeals Committee procedure).
        After the playoffs, I asked about the appeals process. I was told to appeal to the CFC, not to the tournament appeal committee.

Comment

I know for sure that the stakes were very high: a trip to Tbilisi for the World Cup in September and another one to Batumi for the 2018 Chess Olympiad. To show good sportsmanship Bator should have allowed Nikolay to continue the game with a queen instead of the rook. A player can overrule the touch move rule if he wants.
          http://www.fide.com/component/conten...fair-play.html

Comment

I watched the video and it provides definitive proof that Nikolay had no access to a queen.

I can see how such a mistake by the Arbiter could easily happen given the speed of which events occurred (he thought the queen was accessible to Nikolay when in actuality it was in Bator's hand and only put back with capture pieces after promotion).

Since we have the video review like in hockey or any professional sports, isn't it just a simple measure of appealing, analyzing video and overturning an erroneous decision? In my opinion, it's not even a close call.

I really hope that those in charge make the correct decision to preserve the integrity of our noble game. This is our national championship with thousands of dollars and chess opportunities on the line for our players.

P.S. I would also put zero blame on Bator. It isn't his duty to "help" his opponent in the heat of the moment. People shouldn't attack his integrity. He's playing to win like Nikolay and they are both fabulous chess players.

Sincerely,
            Jonathan Yu

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
            After the playoffs, I asked about the appeals process. I was told to appeal to the CFC, not to the tournament appeal committee.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Yu View Post
              I watched the video and it provides definitive proof that Nikolay had no access to a queen.

I can see how such a mistake by the Arbiter could easily happen given the speed of which events occurred (he thought the queen was accessible to Nikolay when in actuality it was in Bator's hand and only put back with capture pieces after promotion).

Since we have the video review like in hockey or any professional sports, isn't it just a simple measure of appealing, analyzing video and overturning an erroneous decision? In my opinion, it's not even a close call.

I really hope that those in charge make the correct decision to preserve the integrity of our noble game. This is our national championship with thousands of dollars and chess opportunities on the line for our players.

P.S. I would also put zero blame on Bator. It isn't his duty to "help" his opponent in the heat of the moment. People shouldn't attack his integrity. He's playing to win like Nikolay and they are both fabulous chess players.

Sincerely,
              Jonathan Yu
              Bator stood silent as his opponent is forced to under-promote. Perhaps in the heat of the moment Bator was unaware that he denied his opponent his queen but one thing we know 100 Percent for sure is that he did and if he see's the video he should be offering his resignation. It should go without saying that integrity is worth more then a victory, even an important one and the game of chess is bigger then that.
              The position at first glance appears to be winning for Nikolay where he effectively ends up in a two pawns up queens on the board ending if allowing the game to take it's normal course.
              Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 3rd July, 2017, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
                I'm wondering why, because the tournament had a appeal committee.
                http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/cccc2017/c...l-CCCC2017.pdf

Comment

Bator captured the queen and it's his possession. Nikolay promoted a pawn and it's his headache to get a queen or other piece. The rule is clearly in favor to a promoting person - stop the clock and ask the arbiter to bring the required piece. The arbiter shall deal with the player withholding the piece or look for other set.

While it is not in the rules, the case of upside down rook is in the Arbiter's Manual. A.Peredun cited the text. One more time:
                  ""When a player places an inverted (upside‐down) Rook in the promotion square and continues the game, the piece is considered as a Rook, even if he names it as a “Queen” or any other piece. To put an inverted Rook on the promotion square is not considered as an illegal move. The Arbiter has to intervene and put the Rook in its correct position on the square and he may penalize the player according to the Article 12.9."
                  http://arbiters.fide.com/images/stor...anual-2016.pdf

Comment

The arbiter said that you could not file an appeal regarding tiebreaks to the appeals committee, and that these appeals needed to be sent to the CFC.

Comment

Maybe we need to re-design the Rook in standard sets so that it will not stand up if inverted. :-) Some of those plastic sets have Bishops with such flat tops that they can be inverted and remain standing. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                        Comical that our national championship didn't have arbiters who would think to place extra Queens on the table :D
                        Looked through the pictures - none of the tableS had spare queens.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                          Maybe we need to re-design the Rook in standard sets so that it will not stand up if inverted. :-) Some of those plastic sets have Bishops with such flat tops that they can be inverted and remain standing. :-)
                          Put a flag on it :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                            Bator captured the queen and it's his possession. Nikolay promoted a pawn and it's his headache to get a queen or other piece. The rule is clearly in favor to a promoting person - stop the clock and ask the arbiter to bring the required piece. The arbiter shall deal with the player withholding the piece or look for other set.

While it is not in the rules, the case of upside down rook is in the Arbiter's Manual. A.Peredun cited the text. One more time:
                            ""When a player places an inverted (upside‐down) Rook in the promotion square and continues the game, the piece is considered as a Rook, even if he names it as a “Queen” or any other piece. To put an inverted Rook on the promotion square is not considered as an illegal move. The Arbiter has to intervene and put the Rook in its correct position on the square and he may penalize the player according to the Article 12.9."
                            http://arbiters.fide.com/images/stor...anual-2016.pdf
                            The rule does not make sense to even consider all of this in the heat of a time scramble. Secondly based on article 12.1 it is clear that the game could suffer reputational damage if a player is rewarded for concealing his opponents queen... knowing that almost no one would have the presence of mind to stop the clock in the middle of a time scramble in order to avoid declaring a piece a queen. Especially after playing a lifetime of casual speed games where one simply declares what the promoting piece is or turn's the rook upside down. A player refusing to recognize that his action of concealing the Queen caused his opponent's demise else he would have surely lost also does not help the reputation of the game. This type of activity should never be rewarded.
                            Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 3rd July, 2017, 11:04 PM.

Comment

You do need to know the rules. Placing a rook upside down was a mistake. It seems to me that the first line of appeal should have been to the tournament appeals committee. I would certainly want to do some research before rendering an opinion and anyone associated with the CFC should ixnay on the editorializing. It can come back to bite. I am sure that the national appeals committee will consider the rules of chess and come to the correct decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                                Bator stood silent as his opponent is forced to under-promote. Perhaps in the heat of the moment Bator was unaware that he denied his opponent his queen but one thing we know 100 Percent for sure is that he did and if he see's the video he should be offering his resignation. It should go without saying that integrity is worth more then a victory, even an important one and the game of chess is bigger then that.
                                The position at first glance appears to be winning for Nikolay where he effectively ends up in a two pawns up queens on the board ending if allowing the game to take it's normal course.
                                Hi Sid,

I posted too hastily and am not sure what the correct action is actually. I just read the stackexchange post and by letter of the law, it seems the onus is on Nikolay to stop the clocks and find a queen even if theres no queen available (6.12b) since an upside down rook cannot be a queen by touch promotion square rule as Egis and others mentioned.

So the appeal would probably deal with whether Bator brought the game into disrepute with his actions like Sid thinks and he has a case based on Bator's non-reaction to the arbiter ruling. (nb. the rule doesnt say that the game must intentionally be brought into disrepute)

And as to deliberately hiding your captured pieces from the opponent, there's always Rule 12.1:

The players shall take no action that will bring the game of chess into disrepute.

Of course in spirit of the game they should have let Nikolay promote a queen considering there was none readily available but the arbiter didnt know that. Just a bad situation all around and I feel badly for Nikolay and Bator and especially the poor arbiter who probably feels awful.

I didnt really look at the position but it also seems super unfair to Bator to just award Nikolay the win.

Theres really no good solution. Good luck appeals commitee :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X