Gary Kasparov's Facebook Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Kasparov's Facebook Post

Well, the cat is out of the bag! I'l be playing in the first Saint Louis rapid and blitz tournament that begins on August 14, by far the most serious chess competition I have engaged in since my retirement in 2005. I have played a few exhibitions, some "nostalgia matches" against old rivals, and a strong Saint Louis blitz event last year, although the atmosphere was quite casual. This event is another matter, a real tournament against top competition and rapid games, not just blitz. As such, I'm taking my preparation seriously, out of respect for the organizers and for the game itself. Plus, I want to play good chess!

Although I have no plans to play elsewhere, I did not take this decision lightly. I am quite happy with my full life these days. My family, political activism, speaking and writing, coaching—there is no time for the total dedication serious chess requires and deserves. But for me, playing in Saint Louis is special, not least as a way to express my appreciation for what the Sinquefield family has done to promote the game there and worldwide, especially in education. Thanks to Rex Sinquefield, Saint Louis has become the global chess capital and the atmosphere there is approximates the enthusiasm and respect for chess culture back in the Soviet Union—and you can see that the results are excellent as well. In significant part due to the Saint Louis club's collaboration with the Kasparov Chess Foundation in the "Young Stars–Team USA" program, the United States has become a chess juggernaut at the professional and youth level.

I'm very comfortable playing there, and while I'm keeping my expectations in line with my "senior amateur" status, I hope to play well enough to honor such a wonderful host and event with my chess, not just with my name

Re: Gary Kasparov's Facebook Post

We are blessed (spoiled) with the chance to see Gary live in action with all the excitement he brings to the game. I remember the years of Bobby and the excitement (which brought me to the game) and then the disappearance and disappointment. Definitely not so with Gary. What a worthy champion! - and you see that public personality in Magnus and the other young superstars - definitely approachable (although you should have intelligent questions or statements or you will rapidly run out of time) and in the best of surroundings - St Louis! I highly recommend everyone to go to St Louis and see it live.

Comment

Working...
    X