Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Rd. 9 (Sun. - Final) CO (U 1800) Blog

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    The Day Eight Blog (Saturday.) was posted shortly after midnight today (Sunday), if someone wants to re-post it here.

Glad it is available to more people now.....thanks for the re-posting!

Bob A
    The Day Nine Blog (Sunday.) was posted about 11:30 PM tonight (Sunday), if someone wants to re-post it here.

Glad it is available to more people now.....thanks for the re-posting! And thanks for the support...I've had nice feedback, and we are now over 2000 hits for my blog, here on Ct alone. It is also posted on 3 Fb sites as well, and is being well-read there as well. I am pleased to make the effort when the feedback is so positive that people find it entertaining, as well as informative.

This is all she wrote folks...........'til the summer of 2018, when I hope to again inflict my blog on the multi-verse.;)

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 16th July, 2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Re: New Rd. 9 (Sun. - Final) CO (U 1800) Blog

Bob's Chess Blog

(See Knight Logo below)

2017 Canadian Open Chess Championship – U 1800 – Final Day 9 (Sunday)

Day 9 – Sunday, July 16/17

Round 9 (@ 11:00 AM)

Prior Blogs

I have now done nine prior blogs:

1. Preliminary Notice (Posted Sunday, July 9)
      2. Day 1 (Saturday) – Rd. 1 – 9-day Group (Posted Sunday, July 9)
      3. Day 2 (Sunday) – Rd. 2 – 9-day Group (Posted Monday, July 10)
      4. Day 3 (Monday) – Rd. 3 – 9-day Group (Posted Monday, July 10)
      5. Day 4 (Tuesday) – 9-day Group – Rd. 4//6-day Group – Rds. 1 & 2 (Posted Wednesday, July 12)
      6. Day 5 (Wednesday) – 9-day Group – Rd. 5//6-day Group – Rds. 3 & 4 (Posted Wednesday, July 12)
      7. Day 6 (Thursday) – Rd. 6 (Combined groups) (Posted Thursday, July 13)
      8. Day 7 (Friday) – Rd. 7 (Posted Saturday, July 15)
      9. Day 8 (Saturday) – Rd. 8 (Posted Sunday, July 16)

For those who have not been following the blog, reading them before this Blog # 10 may be helpful to get more details, as background. I must do blogs, based to some extent on earlier ones, otherwise there is way too much repetition for regular viewers. You will have to scroll down my personal page a bit to find them.

The Wee Hours of Sunday Morning

At 12:15 AM I was able to post the Saturday, Day 8, Blog.

Earlier, Undriadi and I agreed to walk over to McD’s for breakfast at 8:00 AM later this morning.

After I had posted the blog, Vlad dropped by and we discussed some past chess controversies he knew about over the last few years, and martial arts self-defence – Vlad trained when he was younger. He then went off to bed.

I thought I’d then look at the pairings to see what colour I was and who I played – just curious since I never prepare anyways. I (Rated 1522) am playing White against Richard Essery (1630) on Bd. 45. I then worked on my games ‘til 2:00 AM.

I was then tired, and hit the sack.

Later Morning

I slept my usual tournament short-sleep this morning – 2 ¼ hrs. Sometimes in cases like this, I can peacefully and quietly lie there and rest for an hour and that is of some help; so I tried for 15 min. But this morning the energy level was high, and I knew this wouldn’t work. So I got up @ 5:00 AM.

So I started out re-posting some new articles on Twitter to PEERS (See prior blogs). Then I finished analyzing my game 4 with Claude. And then I started this Sunday Blog draft. I also joined 13 new members to a Fb chess discussion group, Chess Chat (https://www.facebook.com/groups/812434505513580/) , where I am one of 4 Co-Administrators.

Then I decided to tackle my daughter’s problem of getting at her school e-mails…..she had now sent me the password (Weirdest password I’ve ever seen……..will have to find out why it is like that or what it signifies). The Pw worked! I was in! So I forwarded to her all her e-mails from Wed., July 12. And now I can check for her daily, when I am in Toronto, to keep her up to date on the new e-mails.

Then got dressed about 7:30 AM, to be ready to go to McD’s for breakfast with Undriadi @ 8:00 AM. He stuck his head in a bit earlier to say that Bob Gillanders was joining us and would be in the lobby downstairs at 8:00 AM.

So off the three of us went to our now “favourite” McD’s – sadly, last trip, maybe forever…….or until the Soo bids again on the Can. Op. (Hope they will one day again). We had a most enjoyable time……..we talked and talked about health and aging (Sh….and sex), and other interesting things…….I’m sure Big Brother, recording all this, will be entertained!

I got back at 9:30 AM, I now went back to finish entering and analyzing my Rd. 8 game with Bob G, and updating the blog draft.

At 10:45 AM I went over to the playing hall for the final Rd. 9.

My Game 9

I (Rated 1522) played white against Richard Essery (1630). We played on Bd. 13 in our section (Of 17 boards).

Richard played an unusual Benoni-type defence and got a good game out of it. Then I blundered, missing a pin, and Richard picked up a P. But I got some compensation because my dead Q–side B suddenly had an excellent diagonal to join in a K-side attack. A bit later, I was faced with having to recapture a P, to stay just a P down. But I noticed that if I didn’t take, and sacked the P, I had some attacking possibilities, with lots of Ricard’s pieces out of play on the Q-side of the board. So I went down 2 P’s for an attack. Fortunately, Richard picked a bad square for his Q. I captured with my B on h7; Richard could not recapture, because I get a Royal N-fork. So now I’m back to just one P down, with an attack. Richard tried to defend as best he could, but he was just too weak on the white squares…..I got a R on the 7th rank, and my N on f5, trained on g7. Richard tried sacking his Q for R + N, but it was hopeless. I was able to mate with my Q and B.

Afternoon

Post Game 9

After the game, Richard and I went down to the analysis area to review the game. Craig McGilly of our section was there watching us, and then Ed Sellars of the USA (U 2200 section) sat down. So we all had a merry old time checking out all kinds of alternate possible lines.

Getting the Results for the Blog

Then I went back into the hall to await the outcomes of the last couple of games in my section, to get the results I needed for this blog.

At 4:15 PM I returned to the residence, and texted my wife that she, and our two university friends, could come pick me up. We all are July babies, and decided to go to a nice restaurant to celebrate (And it is my wife’s 70th birthday today!). They had a reservation for 5:00 PM at Giovanni’s out Great Northern Road. The food was great and the service excellent. We laughed and reminisced and had a great old time……..we celebrated the Precious’ birthday in memorable style (I even caved and wore casual dress slacks and dress shoes!) And Rosanne and Claranne each had a birthday card for us both at the end.

Evening

They dropped me back at the residence about 6:30 PM. I did some work on my Gillanders’ game first, but was tired. So I took a nap for an hour and then felt ready to get going on this blog draft. But I realized I desperately wanted a coffee, and so first off to Timmies. Vlad was still here as well and he was driving back to Windsor tomorrow. He had just driven one of the foreign GM’s to the airport and had stopped to get a coffee on the way back……so he didn’t need one.

When I came back, Vlad and I chatted a bit about the fact I had feared to try to enter the USA to get to the Soo faster……problem of anti-Trump Fb (Now a big No-No). We talked about the CO in Quebec City, Quebec in July 2018. I said that if the Quebec City CO was out for me, I’d likely come to the Sault Ste. Marie International in August instead (Roman Peredun said it was in discussion for next summer).

Vlad went back to his room, and I started some serious blog work! This clearly required a return to the floor refrigerator to finally finish off my Chapman’s Ice Cream!

I was finalizing this blog draft when Undriadi dropped by. He is flying out tomorrow. He had joined Bob Gillanders and Brian Clarke after their dinner, for drinks at Casey’s. We discussed the 2018 CO in Quebec City, Quebec, and the projected Sault Ste. Marie International Chess Tournament here in August 2018. I also told him about our joint birthday dinner party.

Vlad next door heard us and came and joined us. We talked a bit about the turn-out for the last 2 Canadian Opens (Windsor and Sault Ste. Marie – each around 130). We wondered whether we needed to find a Toronto organizer, so that we could get the registrations back up so that the CO did not lose its lustre.

I posted this last Day 9 Blog about 11:00 PM. I am driving my wife and I back to Toronto tomorrow.

A most pleasant “Life” and “Chess” holiday…..thanks to the Soo!!

U 1800 Winners/Top Finishers (Top 9) after the Final Rd. 9 – 39 players

1st – 7.5/9 pts. – Undefeated – Joey Orozco (1740 – from my Scarborough CC).

2nd – 7/9 - Ferdinand Supsup (1739 – of the Mississauga CC).

3rd/5th – 6.5/9 pts. – Victor Itkin (1761 – second seed); Kai Wang (1679); Junior Boy Jeffery Renfei Zhao (1525 – from my Scarborough CC).

6th/7th – 6/9 pts. - Junior Boy Alfred Dagan (1727); Junior Boy Alan Bui (1716).

8th/9th – 5.5/9 pts. – Amos Kuttner (1706); Robin Belanger (1439).

My Score

4.5/8 pts. (50%!) – Wins: 4 (Rds. 1, 2, 5 & 9); Draw: 1 (Rd. 4); Losses: 4 (Rd. 3 – to the second seed; Rds. 6, 7 & 8). I am satisfied...I started # 29/39 players.

My Opponents’ & My Scores

6.5/9 pts. – Victor Itkin (1761 – second seed) – I lost in Rd. 3 – tied 3rd/5th.
      5.5/9 pts. - Robin Belanger (1439) – I lost in Rd. 7 – tied 8th/9th.
      5/9 pts. – Bob Gillanders (1771 – top seed) – I lost in Rd. 8.
      - Claude Toussaint (1516) – I drew in Rd. 4.
      4.5/9 pts. – Craig Sadler (1642) - I won in Rd. 1.
      - Grisha Crnilovic (1617) – I lost in Rd. 6.
      - Me (1522)
      4/9 pts. – Wane Inkpen (1696) – I won in Rd. 5.
      3.5/9 pts. - Richard Essery (1630) – I won in Rd. 9.
      2.5/7 pts. – Paul McNichol (1556) - I won in Rd. 2 – withdrew after Rd. 7.

An Interactive Blog

All my FB friends are invited to “comment” on my blogs......I would be pleased to answer any questions about my blog material or the tournament.

I do this for fun (Though one year the FQE gave me a modest honorarium to do it officially for them on their tournament website, when the CO was in Montreal). I find many readers enjoy getting a taste of what it is actually like right at the tournament.

So fire away, since this will be your last chance!

So …until the next CO….consider carefully whether you really need to increase your chess time allocation !!!

Bye for a year to one and all! Hope it was entertaining.

Comment

Working...
      X