Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Foundation - a good thing!

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    $5K could buy a lot of extra Queens and other random pieces...
    $5k would buy a lot of chess sets with Queens included

Comment

Re: Some numbers from the last Canadian Closed

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      This is an accurate analysis of the situation. Most of the job of the CFC executive is fighting entropy and putting out fires. This is true for local organizers as well.
      I've always wondered whether there should be at least one CFC officer whose sole aim is to try to advance (or at least plan to advance) the CFC's growth in one way or another that's by relatively big steps, with that officer(s) explicitly excluded from the struggles of fighting entropy and putting out fires. Maybe divide the CFC vice-presidency into two offices: 1st Vice-President and 2nd Vice-President, if expanding the executive is allowable.

No CFC President or Executive is superhuman, assuming these offices have typically been stretched to the limit most of the time.
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
        I've always wondered whether there should be at least one CFC officer whose sole aim is to try to advance (or at least plan to advance) the CFC's growth in one way or another that's by relatively big steps, with that officer(s) explicitly excluded from the struggles of fighting entropy and putting out fires. Maybe divide the CFC vice-presidency into two offices: 1st Vice-President and 2nd Vice-President, if expanding the executive is allowable.

No CFC President or Executive is superhuman, assuming these offices have typically been stretched to the limit most of the time.
        How about Neil Frarey, VP in charge of membership growth & marketing?
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

It might save Neil a lot of the headaches that come with being CFC President.

Now that I think about it, I think a 2nd V-P might still be required by the Handbook to consider & vote on any matter reserved for the Executive... so it may be best if an officer of membership growth be seperate from the Executive. There's an (empty) office for publicizing the CFC that's already on the books, as well as an office (again empty) for garnering sponsorship for the CFC, fwiw.

A 2nd V-P office still might be useful to have though, to help share the existing day-to-day load among the Executive.
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
            How about Neil Frarey, VP in charge of membership growth & marketing?
            I have a list of conditions that must be met for both Membership growth & Marketing ... if we're in agreement, OK I'm interested.

Comment

You and Mr. McKillop should make up a contract and have a signing ceremony.

Comment

What are the conditions?

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                  What are the conditions?

These are some of my more pressing conditions...

Membership Growth:

1. Free Trial Membership, good for at least two CFC rated weekend events, must be in place end of the 2017 AGM.
                  2. I have full access to Membership data.
                  3. We build an ongoing email campaign.

Marketing:

1. I produce and place the brand.
                  2. I oversee all marketing.

...shouldn't be a problem.

Right?
                  Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 2nd August, 2017, 12:05 AM.

Comment

What are the conditions?
                    To start, a constitutional amendment with two thirds voting member support.

Comment

I don't quite follow. Can't the executive create a role, say "Marketing and Membership Growth Director", and "hire" Neil as a volunteer in that capacity?

Comment

I don't quite follow. Can't the executive create a role, say "Marketing and Membership Growth Director", and "hire" Neil as a volunteer in that capacity?
                        We could do that though the discussion was about an executive VP position which would require revisiting the structure of the directors which would entail some restructuring though there may be ways of doing it on a temporary basis (from AGM to AGM) with less buy in required from the voting members. Currently we have one VP in our executive structure.

Comment

Working...
                        X