IM Noritsyn's appeal to CFC the most important decision in Canadian chess history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IM Noritsyn's appeal to CFC the most important decision in Canadian chess history

Canadian chess history hasn't lacked for high-standard achievement; extraordinary tournaments (Winnipeg 1967, Montreal 1979, Saint John 1988, CCCA 60th anniversary tournament being among them); outstanding, dedicated, and innovative players and organizers; superb writers; world-class trainers; interesting and controversial situations; inter-organizational rivalry and turf wars; or administrative blunders.

The current appeal by IM Nikolay Noritsyn, to the CFC Executive, over the execrable outcome from the Montreal Canadian Championship 2017 and the related National Appeals Committee 'resolution' of same, is going to be the most important decision in Canadian chess history.

The reason: the outcome of this case has not only vitally important determinants for Canadian chess, but it also has overall world-wide implications for chess. I am not aware of any previous appeal-related Canadian case in that category.

Let us hope the CFC Executive gets its facts and fair process in order. I encourage the CFC Executive to obtain high-standard legal advice for this case.

Frank Dixon
    NTD, Kingston
    :)

Re: IM Noritsyn's appeal to CFC the most important decision in Canadian chess history

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
    Canadian chess history hasn't lacked for high-standard achievement; extraordinary tournaments (Winnipeg 1967, Montreal 1979, Saint John 1988, CCCA 60th anniversary tournament being among them); outstanding, dedicated, and innovative players and organizers; superb writers; world-class trainers; interesting and controversial situations; inter-organizational rivalry and turf wars; or administrative blunders.

The current appeal by IM Nikolay Noritsyn, to the CFC Executive, over the execrable outcome from the Montreal Canadian Championship 2017 and the related National Appeals Committee 'resolution' of same, is going to be the most important decision in Canadian chess history.

The reason: the outcome of this case has not only vitally important determinants for Canadian chess, but it also has overall world-wide implications for chess. I am not aware of any previous appeal-related Canadian case in that category.

Let us hope the CFC Executive gets its facts and fair process in order. I encourage the CFC Executive to obtain high-standard legal advice for this case.

Frank Dixon
    NTD, Kingston
    :)

I didn't realize there is still an outstanding appeal.... to the CFC Executive? Well, that's going nowhere. Vlad Drkulec has made his opinion known, Bob Gillanders just wants to keep his job, and Hal Bond isn't going to go against his fellow arbiters.

"World-wide implications for chess" -- what specifically would those be, Frank? That's not a trolling question, I'd really like to know. Do you think that, given the outcome, other players will start hiding their opponent's Queen after capturing it? Or there's the case put forth by the arbiter that it is too much to ask any arbiter to keep track (in Blitz or Armaggedon time scrambles) of anything outside the playing board, namely whether there are promotion Queens available or not. Too much, he said, can't keep track of that. So arbiters everywhere will now claim this precedent and no longer ensure there are promotion pieces at the board?

I've already posted several times what the sensible solution to this is but I don't expect FIDE to do the sensible thing. Jonathan Berry just posted over in another thread how much chess players detest to stop the clocks and how tricky stopping the clock actually is. It should be made the last resort in any situation, but in this situation FIDE makes it the first and only resort.

P.S.: Neil Frarey, can you design a FIDE T-shirt? It should show 2 players at the board, one of them fidgeting with the clock, and his flag is just falling... as he tries to stop the clock. The other player is hiding in his hand (under the table) the first player's Queen. Above this scene, you have in big bold letters "FIDE" and under the scene, in big bold letters: "STOP THE CLOCKS!" And have an arbiter in the background, looking away from the board....
    Last edited by Paul Bonham; Saturday, 22nd July, 2017, 05:02 PM. Reason: P.S.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re: IM Noritsyn's appeal to CFC the most important decision in Canadian chess history

Good one, Paul. :)

And Neil, I'll take one of those shirts (XXL) provided the price isn't too outrageous.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
        Good one, Paul. :)

And Neil, I'll take one of those shirts (XXL) provided the price isn't too outrageous.

I realized when I wrote that the first player's flag was falling that I was picturing the old type analog clocks where the red flag was held up by the minute hand of the clock -- that could be the "retro" version of the T-shirt! The "millennial" version would have to have an LCD display just switching to 00:00.
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

I'm a shitty lousy illustrator Paul. Graphics yes, illustrations no.

Great idea tho, perhaps Kevin Eyre would pick up on this or maybe John Torrie? I'll give it shot in my own comic 'style'.

I created this CLUTCH PLAYER OF THE YEAR award graphic for us all ...who knows, might just build the real thing!

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 23rd July, 2017, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

I'm a shitty lousy illustrator Paul. Graphics yes, illustrations no.

Great idea tho, perhaps Kevin Eyre would pick up on this or maybe John Torrie? I'll give it shot in my own comic 'style'.

I created this CLUTCH PLAYER OF THE YEAR award graphic for us all ...who knows, might just build the real thing!

Cool, Neil, great double meaning for the word "clutch".... but there's something a little wrong... you see, it looks like he's holding the pieces up high for everybody to see.

What you need is to convey the idea that he's holding the pieces, you know.... under the table.... for NOBODY to see.

So have it be a "reverse trophy".... you have the plaque with Bator's name and "Clutch Player of the Year"... but the arm goes BENEATH the plaque, looking like it's under the table.

To hold it up, have 4 rods go from the 4 plaque corners down to the surface that the trophy sits on, maybe in clear acrylic so they aren't very noticeable.

That plus the FIDE T-shirt should win us Design Team of the Year award!
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Neil:

Not nice, you should be ashamed of yourself. Come and share your views with GM Sambuev next time he plays in Ottawa.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                Bob Gillanders just wants to keep his job,
                Paul, what’s your problem Bro? Still trolling me? I find your attempts to paint me as a lapdog of the CFC executive or some cowardly employee afraid of losing his job as both pathetic and insulting. Cut it out.
                I often remain silent on debates involving chess politics on chess talk for 2 reasons:
                Reason 1: Threads involving chess politics often degenerate into flame wars, with personal insults, devolving into ridiculous hyperbole on both side. I have no interest in participating in such “debates”. If we can have an intelligent debate (on chess or other topics), great, love to participate. But as you will note on numerous threads, when the insults start, my posts stop. Not interested.
                Reason 2: I am the CFC Executive Director, as such, not on the CFC executive. Many members and CFC Governors (Voting Members) expect the ED to be neutral on matters of chess politics. This gives me a great excuse to avoid those controversial items. :)

Comment

Lighten up Simon, how many of us clutch our captured pieces?

Huh?

GM B.S. just so happened to clutch his opponent's much needed queen. No shame in his game!

Thanks for the invite. Appearance fee: beer & blitz.
                  Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 23rd July, 2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                    Paul, what’s your problem Bro? Still trolling me? I find your attempts to paint me as a lapdog of the CFC executive or some cowardly employee afraid of losing his job as both pathetic and insulting. Cut it out.
                    I often remain silent on debates involving chess politics on chess talk for 2 reasons:
                    Reason 1: Threads involving chess politics often degenerate into flame wars, with personal insults, devolving into ridiculous hyperbole on both side. I have no interest in participating in such “debates”. If we can have an intelligent debate (on chess or other topics), great, love to participate. But as you will note on numerous threads, when the insults start, my posts stop. Not interested.
                    Reason 2: I am the CFC Executive Director, as such, not on the CFC executive. Many members and CFC Governors (Voting Members) expect the ED to be neutral on matters of chess politics. This gives me a great excuse to avoid those controversial items. :)

Ok, you've given your side of it, now here's mine:

This is all more serious than you think. The ascendance of Donald Trump has ramifications far beyond the U.S. or politics in Washington. It has ramifications throughout all civilized societies and throughout all the normal structures set up within those societies. Trump is leading us all into an era where there is no longer any "intelligent debate", where all the norms of a civilized society break down, and most importantly, where everything you hear that you disagree with you can dismiss as "fake news". When everyone does this, we have a fractured society where the most powerful win at everything... "Might Makes Right".

Maybe you think Trump is going to either go away on his own or be forced to go away.... nice thought, but not going to happen. Trump is for real, and his followers are for real, and none of it is going away anytime soon. He is the biggest threat to the civilized world since Hitler.

Bob, you have contributed to the resistance against Trump and all he stands for. Very strongly, in fact. And you were in support of Occupy Wall Street, and a supporter of Bernie Sanders and his movement to dramatically reduce the power of the wealthy and of the rich corporations in society. That is all good, but you need to realize that all the intelligent, logical point making in the world gets you NOWHERE in this new era of "fake news". I can't overemphasize this enough: LOGICAL ARGUMENTS, FACTUAL ARGUMENTS, GET YOU NOWHERE IN THIS NEW WORLD OF TRUMP.

Obviously, ChessTalk has nothing to do with the resistance against Trump. But the CFC is led by a guy who in so many ways is just like Trump, that even this tiny niche world of Canadian chess is threatened.

Recently Vlad Drkulec made a statement here on ChessTalk that made me realize just how serious the situation of his leadership of Canadian chess really is. I can't repeat his statement here because Larry Bevand will immediately remove this entire thread, or at least my post. Can't blame him: Drkulec's statement is a violation of the Canadian criminal code. Larry is smart enough to not let that stick around here.

But I realized that the CFC is headed up by a man full of hate for anyone who doesn't think like he does. If this got out into the media, the CFC would be decimated, painted as a hateful organization because not only of Drkulec, but of all the voting members who do nothing in the face of Drkulec's public statements.

I'm sure you would love it, Bob, if Republicans in Congress or the Senate rose up and acted against Donald Trump, starting the impeachment process. You would cheer them on, I am sure. Well, here in the CFC, YOU are in the same position vis-a-vis Drkulec as those Republicans are vis-a-vis Trump.

If you don't agree with that, tell me why your job title is "Executive Director"? Ok, so you're not on the Executive, but do you "direct" the Executive? WTF, are you going to tell us all you do are the monthly rating lists? More importantly, what is your specified relationship to the CFC Executive? Are you a voting member of the CFC? If yes, why aren't you organizing a movement of the voting members to remove Drkulec as President? Note: I found nothing on the CFC web site as to what the duties of the Executive Director are nor his or her relationship to the Executive.

I could get this story on Drkulec started tomorrow in the mainstream media, do you want that? I can see the headline now: "Canada's Chess Federation Full of Hate". At some point soon, absent any CFC effort to get rid of Drkulec, I will go the Canadian media with what I know about him. It's the kind of story the media will love. I was tempted to do it last week during the Canadian Open, but decided that wouldn't be fair to the hard-working organizers of that event.

You earlier said in another thread that as far as the CFC goes, you and Vlad "leave your political differences at the door". And what I told you then, and tell you again, is that there is no longer the option to leave differences at the door when dealing with people who act like Trump. All legal means must be used to resist them.

No to violence, but yes to confrontation. If that means taking insults, fine, and give as good as you get. That is the only path to respect within the resistance, and yes, it is also the path to derision from those being resisted. You would like a world in which there is no confrontation, and logical debate and wisdom are respected and followed, but that world is already taken away. You want it back? Are you willing to FIGHT for it?

Painting yourself as the "Gentleman" of ChessTalk because you go silent at the very first insult is of no help whatsoever. You're like a hockey player who at the very first instance of rough play, skates over to the bench and decides not to play the rest of the game in protest. Hockey is a tough game, and that mirrors life itself. You can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen and don't even talk about Trump or Wall Street any more. Just watch your TV news as the world around you unravels.

Finally, here's a question for you, Bob. Imagine that Donald Trump wants you to work for him, and makes you a great offer. Work visa, great salary and benefits, recognition, everything a person could want. Only requirement is, you fall in line with everything Trump is doing.

Would you take that job?

This is how I view your working alongside Vlad Drkulec. His comments of pure hatred -- CRIMINAL HATRED -- reveal him as a cancer on Canadian chess, every bit as disgusting and disgraceful as Trump is. You need to decide where your loyalties lie.

No, I will not "cut it out". The resistance goes on. You've made your views known, now you need to back them up. Yes, it would be great if we could just all get along, but people like Trump and Drkulec don't allow for that, just as countries like North Korea and Iran don't allow for the world's nations to get along. What would Bob Gillanders do when insulted by North Korea? Wow, I don't like to even think about it. Learn the lessons of December 7th 1941 and everything that led up to that event!
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Also, let's not forget that arbiters should have made sure there where 2 extra queens.

I've seen that even in the most amateur tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                        Bob, you have contributed to the resistance against Trump and all he stands for. Very strongly, in fact. And you were in support of Occupy Wall Street, and a supporter of Bernie Sanders and his movement to dramatically reduce the power of the wealthy and of the rich corporations in society. That is all good, but you need to realize that all the intelligent, logical point making in the world gets you NOWHERE in this new era of "fake news". I can't overemphasize this enough: LOGICAL ARGUMENTS, FACTUAL ARGUMENTS, GET YOU NOWHERE IN THIS NEW WORLD OF TRUMP.......
                        You can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen and don't even talk about Trump or Wall Street any more. Just watch your TV news as the world around you unravels............ The resistance goes on. You've made your views known, now you need to back them up.
                        Hi Paul, I enjoyed reading that with my morning coffee. I just have 1 question: Who put you in charge of the resistant?
                        You acknowledge my contributions, but now you want to kick me out of the club because I haven't gone nuclear on Vlad.
                        Step back from the keyboard and take a breathe.
                        First: Trump is not Hitler.
                        Second: Drkulec is not Trump. He is a Trump supporter.
                        Third: There are varying degrees of Trump supporters.
                        Fourth: All is not lost. The forces of democracy are fighting back against Trump.
                        Fifth: CFC President is a job nobody wants. Leaving Vlad as CFC President is more punishment than reward. :)

The best defense against Trump is to continue to bring out the truth and debate the issues. Going nuclear only reinforces the Trump argument "that everyone is against him". We need to convince Trump supporters that they made a mistake in voting for Trump. We need to convince Republicans to stop enabling him.

Comment

Hi Paul, I enjoyed reading that with my morning coffee. I just have 1 question: Who put you in charge of the resistant?
                          You acknowledge my contributions, but now you want to kick me out of the club because I haven't gone nuclear on Vlad.
                          Fourth: All is not lost. The forces of democracy are fighting back against Trump.
                          Fifth: CFC President is a job nobody wants. Leaving Vlad as CFC President is more punishment than reward. :)
                          Rubbing it in is not wise particularly when I have your case as an example of stepping away from the madness.

The best defense against Trump is to continue to bring out the truth and debate the issues. Going nuclear only reinforces the Trump argument "that everyone is against him". We need to convince Trump supporters that they made a mistake in voting for Trump. We need to convince Republicans to stop enabling him.
                          We are going to need to do an intervention on you anti-Trumpers. Does every thread have to morph into a Trump thread? You have half a dozen Trump titled threads to choose from.

Comment

If I were sent in a time machine back to say 1935 I would have no moral problem (though maybe other problems) with assassinating Hitler. I somehow doubt being sent back to protest would do much to change the course of history.

If I believed that Trump were Hitler-lite I would have no moral problem assassinating Trump.
                            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I make no claims of being "in charge" of the resistance. And I'm not trying to kick you out of the club.... yesterday I was shown a statement which I immediately recognized as pertinent to this situation: "Some people are like glowsticks, you have to bend them and shake them like hell to get the light to come on."

There is no "convincing" possible by the means you speak of. The forces of democracy are fighting, but Trump is going to win and to eradicate democracy as we know it. He's looking into firing Mueller, , he's looking into pardoning himself and his family. At some point in the next 3.5 years, he is going to realize that the system is too restrictive against his agenda and he will act to undo those restrictions. Checks and balances will become a thing of the past.

Vlad Drkulec is full of hate for more than half the world around him. You are included in those he hates. Even if he had no other resemblance to Trump, that alone would be enough. His nonsensical illogical thought processes exhibited here make him even more like Trump.

And by the way, at least one person (Neil Frarey) does want that CFC President job. He's a Trump wannabe also, but at least there have been no signs of the pure sinister hatred that fuels Drkulec.

You didn't answer any of the questions about your CFC position. I'll repeat them here:

Why is your job title "Executive Director"? Do you actually "direct" the CFC Executive? Are you going to tell us all you do are the monthly rating lists? More importantly, what is your specified relationship to the CFC Executive? Are you a voting member of the CFC? If yes, why aren't you organizing a movement of the voting members to remove Drkulec as President given his criminal hate statements?

And you didn't answer the question about whether you'd accept a job with Trump, but that's ok, I know the answer to that for sure now. And I'm sorry, but I have to continue to call you out for that. You're very much like the pre-WWII American politicians who saw what Hitler was doing in Europe, who saw the buildup of the Japanese military, and just refused to act thinking everything would return to the mean without any action on their part. Wrong!

Trump isn't just one person. Trump is a movement, a paradigm shift in the wrong direction, and THAT is how he is like Hitler. You are relying on polls to tell you things are ok.... but the polls are wrong, many people are simply lying.
                              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                              X