X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Schroeder

James Schroeder

July 26, 2017

Two of the most controversial writers/players in American Chess are Sam Sloan and James Schroeder.

The following is called The Colorful James R. Schroeder by Tartajubow

James R. Schroeder, now retired from chess, was a colorful and sometimes controversial character. His name is pronounced Sch-A-der with a long a, NOT Sch-roader! On his website (now defunct) he described himself as "a renown chess author, editor, critic, master, historian and constant student of the game. He was the Ohio Chess Champion of 1950 and 1985 and the winner of fifty consecutive USCF rated games." Schroeder founded and operated The Prison Chess Fund. He was also a seller of books and chess equipment.

Schroeder was born on November 30, 1927 and as far as I know is still alive and living in Washington state. I knew him quite well when he lived in Cleveland, Ohio and was active as a tournament director and was known for visiting the John G. White chess book collection at the Cleveland Public Library where he would meticulously hand copy games from famous tournaments, type them up, mimeograph them and then sell them for fifty cents apiece at tournaments. I even helped him on one book by proofreading the games and I think he gave me a book (a real one) of Karpov's games for my efforts.

One day he approached me at a tournament and asked if I had a car and could I give him a ride to his apartment to pick up some chess books to bring back and sell. His apartment was in an older building and was sparsely furnished with a small portable black and white TV with a coat hanger antenna. Chess books were piled all over the place. On the way back we stopped for lunch at an out of the way Chinese restaurant where we were the only non-Chinese in the place, but Schroeder seemed to be pretty well known.

One lesser known incident in Schroeder's career was when he was selected by the controversial Nestor Farris to be the editor of The Chess Correspondent. According to Bryce Avery in Correspondence Chess in America, it was the "most catastrophic blunder in Farris' entire CCLA career."

Avery wrote that when he got the job, Schroeder had been given enough material for a couple of issues, but he wouldn't use it, choosing to write his own material instead and got the CCLA board's dander up by complaining in the magazine that they had not given him enough material. He also changed the design that had been used by the previous editors, Isaac Kashdan and William Wilcock. Schroeder's cover was too dark and the font hard to read. He also used filler that included drawings of maggots, photos of Elizabeth Taylor dressed as Cleopatra and a cartoon of a woman wearing only a towel

http://tartajubow.blogspot.ca/2017/0...schroeder.html

A note to the above article says:

James Schroeder died July 8, 2017 in Vancouver WA.

________

J Schroeder was the first researcher to really take advantage of the famous John G. White collection at the Cleveland Public Library, and he used its resources to produce many bulletins and books on forgotten tournaments. Among his best books was Boris Spassky: World’s Greatest Player (1967), the first work in English on Spassky. The series of pamphlets he produced on early World Championship matches, which relied heavily on primary sources, were first rate.

Jim could be brutally honest in his reviews, and, for him, it was never personal. He considered his criticism to be professional and constructive, but those on the receiving end did not always see it that way—friend and foe alike!

Tony Miles has the record for the shortest book review – Utter crap. – but Jim was not far behind. His review of The Dragon Variation by Anthony Glyn could have ended after the first sentence: “I have one good comment on this slop: the book is well bound.”

https://new.uschess.org/news/remembe...der-1927-2017/

________

I subscribed to The Chess Correspondent in 1975 and remember getting the Schroeder issue, which was loaded with typos and ended with the new editor challenging the whole readership to individual matches with him!
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Wednesday, 2nd August, 2017, 11:33 PM.

James Schroeder

September 13, 2018

“Isolanis.com is the Net home of the Isolanis Chess Club. The Isolanis are pleased to feature the writings of their mentor, the renown chess author, editor, critic, master, historian and constant student of the game – James Schroeder.”

http://isolanis.com/about/

If life has lost its savour for you, you might try reading a few of the book reviews by James Schroeder on the site. It’s like getting an electric shock!

This is not an endorsement!

A few excerpts:

Book Review: The Art of Bisguier, Volume Two

“The proof reading is poor and there are many more factual errors, for which the two moronic “Researchers: Allen Becker & David Granik” should be shot.

Art is a poor writer, using insulting childish words: “horse” & “cavalier” instead of knight, “infantryman”, “fortress”, “monarch”, and assorted garbage, “his own king” and the incredibly stupid “three-fold repetition.””

Book Review: 2001 Chess Oddities by Alex Dunne

“Dunne gives a King’s Gambit where Nigel Short beat Kasparov in fifteen moves and says it was the 23rd game of the 1993 World Championship Match. That is an unforgivable mistake. It was an exhibition game played after Kasparov had won the match, and the moves 1 PK4 PK4; 2 PKB4 PxP; 3 BB4 QR5ch; 4 KB1 PQN4 were selected by the audience. Kasparov, to his shame, made no attempt to play good moves. He is notorious for lack of ethics and integrity.

“William Lombardy turned down his induction into the U.S. Hall of Fame because of conflict with his priesthood duties.”

WRONG! Lombardy refused to be inducted because the U.S. Chess Federation would not pay his travelling expenses to the induction ceremonies.”

Book Review: Soviet Chess 1917 – 1991 by Andrew Soltis

“Soltis is notorious for writing the worst researched books in history. This has so many factual errors it is worthless. It is very poorly written and abounds with inane comments such as “The tragedy of Spassky’s brief reign was that it came just as Bobby Fischer returned to chess.”

There is no tragedy involved when Spassky or any other champion lost his title. It bothered Spassky so much that he won the 1974 USSR Championship (that’s sarcasm). Fischer did not play after 1972 and there was nothing to prevent Spassky from becoming world champion again, had he been good enough.”

http://isolanis.com/category/schroeder/page/2/

Comment

Ive been in the chess world for a fairly long time (almost 50 yrs) and I had simply no idea of James Schroeder's writings. I played him a couple of times in the 70's (draw and loss) as a young buck vs experienced master and he visited London (Ontario) and Bob Edwards 7 day a week chess club more than once in 1974 and 75. I remember driving down with Bob to the Cleveland Library and meeting James there but I had no clue about his writings. (you think that would have clued me in). Well I guess he had a long and colourful life judging by his expressions. Thanks for sharing Wayne.

Comment

Working...
      X