When extra Queens were needed: Fischer vs Petrosian, 1959

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When extra Queens were needed: Fischer vs Petrosian, 1959

Many people know the game I am quoting, but it is still fascinating, 58 years after it was played. I am presenting it here as part of my 'Promotion' themes series of posts.

The 1959 Candidates Tournament in Yugoslavia featured four players who would eventually become world champion: GMs Mikhail Tal (who won the event, and the world title the next year), Vassily Smyslov (champion 1957-58), Tigran V. Petrosian (champion 1963-69), and Bobby Fischer (champion 1972-75). The rest of the field wasn't chopped liver either: GMs Paul Keres, Fridrik Olafsson, Svetozar Gligoric, and Pal Benko. Olafsson (who later became FIDE President 1978-82) and Benko are still alive.

One of the craziest games of all time had Fischer and Petrosian playing to a 'rich and strange' draw, with four Queens on the board. Extra Queens were needed there, and were provided by the arbiters, in an event from the World Championship cycle. Not so in the now infamous blitz playoff game between GM Sambuev and IM Noritsyn from Montreal 2017! Enjoy! :)

Robert Fischer vs Tigran V. Petrosian
    Yugoslavia Candidates 1959
    Caro-Kann, B11
    www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1106430
Working...
X