Long Distance/Internet Tournaments with Arbiters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Distance/Internet Tournaments with Arbiters

I know we have a great deal of independent thinkers on Chesstalk that are also... chess-players.

So I must ask you guys: what do you think of this idea of tournaments where teams or players who have a large geographic separation play against each other while having a single arbiter or member from the other team present with them to ensure fair play? In this manner their can be substantially good quality tournaments or team matches via internet while also minimizing the costs associated with travel. This can put more focus into the actual chess, and even into prizes because of increased security.

I'm sure I've seen this on Chessbase somewhere, and I have to wonder why as Canadians who are geographically challenged (or blessed?) and have dwindling budgets, we do not invest in something like this.

Any thoughts? Refutations? Support?

Mavros

Re: Long Distance/Internet Tournaments with Arbiters

Fwiw, there was such a Canadian internet match (though just a friendly one) long ago between two clubs in Brampton and Ottawa, I vaguely recall; Neil Frarey was one of the players. Neil had the same sort of general idea you're suggesting, Mavros (not sure if he set up this particular match).

If there's to be serious money and ratings at stake in any tournament or match via the internet, there's going to be logistical problems to solve (e.g. even what happens if a connection breaks) and possible trust issues related to possibly increased chances of cheating.

In short lots of planning for eventualities has to be done, and there's little experience with precidents afaik. Daunting enough that it seems few organizers have even seriously considered the idea for very long; instead it's the easy way out to keep running tried-and-true over-the-board events.

Maybe a start is to somehow survey a lot of potential players about whether they like the concept in principle, or dislike it out of hand (I vaguely recall the idea was discussed on a message board long ago, and some people wanted to see their opponents). Either that or someone raise the concept at a CFC or provincial chess association meeting.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 4th August, 2017, 09:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
      Fwiw, there was such a Canadian internet match (though just a friendly one) long ago between two clubs in Brampton and Ottawa, I vaguely recall; Neil Frarey was one of the players. Neil had the same sort of general idea you're suggesting, Mavros (not sure if he set up this particular match).

If there's to be serious money and ratings at stake in any tournament or match via the internet, there's going to be logistical problems to solve (e.g. even what happens if a connection breaks) and possible trust issues related to possibly increased chances of cheating.

In short lots of planning for eventualities has to be done, and there's little experience with precidents afaik. Daunting enough that it seems few organizers have even seriously considered the idea for very long; instead it's the easy way out to keep running tried-and-true over-the-board events.

Maybe a start is to somehow survey a lot of potential players about whether they like the concept in principle, or dislike it out of hand (I vaguely recall the idea was discussed on a message board long ago, and some people wanted to see their opponents). Either that or someone raise the concept at a CFC or provincial chess association meeting.
      That Brampton Ottawa match was organized by me. I wrote up an assessment of the match at the time and the issues around it. Don't think I have the report still. I did post it on chesstalk at the time (early 2000s I think). Some Ottawa people might have it ( others present or playing were Haldor, Neil, ????, Brampton side was put together by Barry Thorvadson)

But my overall experience with that match and other opportunities since then is that the reaction of most people is that internet matches are a good idea for other people but they themselves are not interested in playing. So I no longer bother working on that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavros Whissell View Post
        I know we have a great deal of independent thinkers on Chesstalk that are also... chess-players.

So I must ask you guys: what do you think of this idea of tournaments where teams or players who have a large geographic separation play against each other while having a single arbiter or member from the other team present with them to ensure fair play? In this manner their can be substantially good quality tournaments or team matches via internet while also minimizing the costs associated with travel. This can put more focus into the actual chess, and even into prizes because of increased security.

I'm sure I've seen this on Chessbase somewhere, and I have to wonder why as Canadians who are geographically challenged (or blessed?) and have dwindling budgets, we do not invest in something like this.

Any thoughts? Refutations? Support?

Mavros
        I think the Pro Chess League has developed a set of rules that should be available. I would think that would be a good starting point. I know they use anti-cheating software as players aren't forced to all play from the same location. An arbiter would solve that issue.

Comment

Here's the wiki on that Pro Chess League (oops):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profes...e_Chess_League
          Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 5th August, 2017, 12:47 AM.
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

That was fun, I believe Stijn was also playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
              Here's the wiki on that Pro Chess League (oops):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profes...e_Chess_League
              Thank you Kevin, Roger, Fred and Neil for your input. This is a good starting point.

I will check it out and perhaps ask a few more questions.

Mavros

Comment

Working...
              X