Which rating should we use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Which rating should we use?

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
    Are you sure? Here are my ratings:

FQE = 1839
    CFC = 1841
    FIDE = 1851
    USCF = 2008
    Louis,

The last thing I want to do here is to argue with you about rating. I wanted to help Larry and tried to answer his question.

To answer your question: Yes, I am sure.

Comment

Re: Which rating should we use?

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      I have also always assumed US ratings to be higher. Goichberg tournaments (Continental Chess Association) tournaments traditionally added 100 points to FQE and FIDE ratings (and some number to CFC ratings), but they now have a foreign rating conversion web page at http://www.chesstour.com/foreignratings.htm
      FIDE ratings now have a minimum of 50 points added - with more added the lower the rating. FQE ratings have a similar sliding scale. CFC ratings are taken at par.

Maybe the CFC should look at these tables - possibly an item to be brought up at the AGM, or some work for the Rating Auditor?

My ratings:

USCF: 2030
      CFC: 1851
      FQE: 1859
      FIDE: 1909
      Hugh,

You, like many other players from QC, have relatively low CFC rating and relatively high FIDE rating. Many players from Ontario have CFC rating 150 points or even 200 points higher than FIDE one. My CFC rating is usually around 2400 and FIDE around 2250-2280. Average gap for Ontario players is more than 130 points.

In my opinion, average:

CFC = FIDE + 130

CFC = USCF + 70

USCF = FIDE + 60

CFC = FQE + 70.

About your example with USA organizers. They want to reduce chances of foreign players to win class prize. Very simple. Canadian organizers should do exactly the same.
      Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Wednesday, 9th August, 2017, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Joining the conversation late, as I was off the grid for a few days, but I don't think anyone mentioned using the India rating. Couldn't that be the most relevant one?!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
          Joining the conversation late, as I was off the grid for a few days, but I don't think anyone mentioned using the India rating. Couldn't that be the most relevant one?!
          Several posters said DO NOT use the Indian rating (my emphasis, not theirs; but the impression is that the Indian ratings are just out of the question).
          In any case, in the example that Larry quoted there is no information about how recent the game(s) were for each rating and how many games were rated using a given system within (say) the last 2 years. All of those factors are crucial in my opinion. A 5 year old CFC rating from a one time appearance in the Canadian Open for example is pretty much worthless for estimating current strength (unless that person won the Canadian Open etc - haha)
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
            Louis,

The last thing I want to do here is to argue with you about rating. I wanted to help Larry and tried to answer his question.

To answer your question: Yes, I am sure.
            Well, a couple of posters just showed you their ratings and it's more like:

USCF = CFC + 100 (or even 150)

Not

CFC = USCF + 100 (which doesn't make sense)

Comment

How often do you play in the US? My CFC rating is USCF +100, and my FIDE is USCF - 80. I think Victor is basically accurate. (although Im an old guy and fast losing all my points)

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                How often do you play in the US? My CFC rating is USCF +100, and my FIDE is USCF - 80. I think Victor is basically accurate. (although Im an old guy and fast losing all my points)
                I thought it was pretty much agreed that USCF ratings are higher than CFC or FIDE. Just look at the USCF top ratings:

So : 2891
                Caruana : 2883
                Nakamura: 2857
                Onischuk: 2771
                Akobian: 2771
                Kamsky: 2758

All these ratings are roughly 100 points higher compared to their FIDE rating.

The CFC ratings are certainly not higher than the USCF ones, right?

Comment

There's got to be a more reliable way of comparing rating systems than looking at the odd set of individual player(s).
                  Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                  Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

What are the American ratings of the top Canadian players?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      Several posters said DO NOT use the Indian rating (my emphasis, not theirs; but the impression is that the Indian ratings are just out of the question).
                      In any case, in the example that Larry quoted there is no information about how recent the game(s) were for each rating and how many games were rated using a given system within (say) the last 2 years. All of those factors are crucial in my opinion. A 5 year old CFC rating from a one time appearance in the Canadian Open for example is pretty much worthless for estimating current strength (unless that person won the Canadian Open etc - haha)
                      Hi Kerry, I don't disagree with anything you say. Over the years, I've gotten into the habit for foreign players with no/low CFC rating to check their country of origin and FIDE. Basically, I'm just looking for way higher numbers, which could imply an attempt to sandbag at their first significant CFC tournament. I've only caught this ruse once though.

Back to Kerry's post, I do agree, most of the weight SHOULD be given to the most recent performance evaluations, but I don't know how to always be sure that's done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                        There's got to be a more reliable way of comparing rating systems than looking at the odd set of individual player(s).
                        Well, I just took the top players for the sake of example.

Feel free to do a more in depth analysis. I dout it will show that USCF ratings are 100 points lower than CFC ratings like some posters pretend.

Comment

I was referring to not just your post, Mathieu. Fwiw, I don't know if anyone (including a rating auditor) has done such a study as you suggest. A good sample size might be N=100 (or even N=36, in case of a basic Chi-Square analysis, if that's appropriate[?] - been a long time since I've done any stats calculating), where the individuals that are on all of the rating lists are taken more or less equally from the top, middle, and bottom sections of a given rating list.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                            I was referring to not just your post, Mathieu. Fwiw, I don't know if anyone (including a rating auditor) has done such a study as you suggest. A good sample size might be N=100 (or even N=36, in case of a basic Chi-Square analysis, if that's appropriate[?] - been a long time since I've done any stats calculating), where the individuals that are on all of the rating lists are taken more or less equally from the top, middle, and bottom sections of a given rating list.
                            I don't know either, but I'm pretty sure that USCF ratings are higher than CFC ratings.

Comment

http://glicko.net/ratings/rating.system.pdf

Page 7, Section 2.6 may be relevant.
                              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Thanks Tom. So, quoting almost verbatim from page 7:

If an unrated player has a FIDE rating, use a converted rating according to the following
                                formula:
                                USrating =
                                (
                                180 + 0.94 x FIDE if FIDE <= 2000
                                20 + 1.02 x FIDE if FIDE > 2000)
                                If an unrated player has a CFC rating, use a converted rating according to the following
                                formula:
                                USrating =
                                (
                                CFC - 90 if CFC <= 1500
                                1:1 x CFC - 240 if CFC > 1500)

Just looking casually, it appears my rating (approx. 2200 regular CFC) would be about the same if converted to a USCF one.

[edit: I forgot I might have an old USCF rating that's still considered valid. I played for U of T's 'B' team in a Pan-Am event that was circa 1981.]
                                Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 10th August, 2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X