X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garry Kasparov Q&A

Garry Kasparov Q&A

August 12, 2017

Prospect Magazine (UK) asked Garry a series of general questions. The answers are entertaining to read.

This is only part of the feature:

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/m...ck-to-the-game

First news/historical event you can recall?

The 1970 football World Cup. Pelé and the phenomenal Brazilian champions, the legendary semi-final between West Germany and Italy, and the controversial extra-time goal that eliminated the Soviet Union in the quarter-final game against Uruguay.

The book you are most embarrassed you have never yet read?

Sun-Tzu’s The Art of War. One of those books that is quoted all the time and people are always citing it to me regarding chess and politics, but I’ve never read the actual book.

One bit of advice you’d give to your younger self?

I dislike “time machine” questions. My decisions, good and bad, have made me who I am and created the wonderful life I am lucky to lead. I would not risk changing anything that might alter it.

What is your favourite saying or quotation?

I have a dangerous addiction to aphorisms, I’m afraid, especially from great speeches by the likes of Churchill and Lincoln. But I’ll go with one that has special pertinence to my life, a saying of the Soviet dissidents that my mother put on my wall as a youth: “If not you, who else?”

The talent you wish you had?

To draw.

The best and worst presents you’ve ever received

Best is easy. The morning of my sixth birthday I awoke to find a large globe next to my bed. My father, who died not long afterward, would sit with me for hours and trace the paths of the great explorers we would read about. I would not want to insult anyone who has given me a present from the heart, but over the years at events I have been presented with quite a few ceremonial gifts that were obviously far too large to pack in my luggage, leaving me in an awkward situation.

See the article for more Q&As

Re: Garry Kasparov Q&A

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
    Garry Kasparov Q&A

August 12, 2017

Prospect Magazine (UK) asked Garry a series of general questions.
    What is your favourite saying or quotation?

I have a dangerous addiction to aphorisms, I’m afraid, especially from great speeches by the likes of Churchill and Lincoln. But I’ll go with one that has special pertinence to my life, a saying of the Soviet dissidents that my mother put on my wall as a youth: “If not you, who else?”
    The saying quoted by Kasparov reminds me a US WWII recruiting ad narrator's question, probably put the same way. In middle-age I started to live by it a little more, such as getting into Canadian chess politics. Soon you find out kibitzing, however brilliant the idea or intent, often makes little impression, and the real difference (if any) is made by organizing events, or in some cases being on an executive. So, now I'm just a player. At least I donate blood.

The talent you wish you had?

To draw.
    The old school American GMs (Reshevsky, Fine...), at least, were great at doing this at a high success rate when they needed to. Nowadays practically any elite player is the same way. Being at a lower level, I sometimes cheapo or gradually ease my way to a draw from a bad position, especially with Black. I seem to draw more with White lately, probably because it's easier and/or many White openings are fairly solid in spite of having some bite.

The best and worst presents you’ve ever received

Best is easy. The morning of my sixth birthday I awoke to find a large globe next to my bed. My father, who died not long afterward, would sit with me for hours and trace the paths of the great explorers we would read about. I would not want to insult anyone who has given me a present from the heart, but over the years at events I have been presented with quite a few ceremonial gifts that were obviously far too large to pack in my luggage, leaving me in an awkward situation.
    Bad presents are the stuff of comedy routines sometimes. After a while as a junior, I had no more use for chess trophies (at least relatively minor achievement ones). I love gifts of cash, but most people feel they ought to give something more personalized. Luckily the family members of chess players often run out of ideas for such.

P.S.: By liking gifts of cash, I don't mean bribes. ;)
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
      The old school American GMs (Reshevsky, Fine...), at least, were great at doing this at a high success rate when they needed to. Nowadays practically any elite player is the same way. Being at a lower level, I sometimes cheapo or gradually ease my way to a draw from a bad position, especially with Black. I seem to draw more with White lately, probably because it's easier and/or many White openings are fairly solid in spite of having some bite.
      He definitely meant not to draw in chess LOL
      Draw drawings etc

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        He definitely meant not to draw in chess LOL
        Draw drawings etc
        Oh...

Well, in recent years I discovered I can pencil sketch people's faces from memory, fwiw. You never know if you don't try to see if you have a hidden talent, or at least are partially good at it.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
        X