More on Kovalyov...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on Kovalyov...

The latest from Chessbase: "Kovalyov case moves to Ethics Commission".

http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-kov...port-editorial

Re: More on Kovalyov...

Finally, a balanced report on Chessbase. We will see if FIDE can discipline its own for egregiously offensive behaviour.

Comment

Quoted from Kovalyov himself...

I would like to propose the following idea: if dressing classy is so important in chess why not to include it as a an extra attribute in the chessbase database? This could also be used as an extra tie-break system in tournaments called "Player's disrespect level" or just PDL. A PDL close to 0% means that the player was dressed extremely classy for the whole tournament. Also when having such a field in chessbase, player's can have a more complete preparation for their opponents, and it can be a consolation prize for those that can't beat their opponents over the board, beating them at least in something...
      Doesn't sound like the young lad takes his general appearance seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
        Finally, a balanced report on Chessbase. We will see if FIDE can discipline its own for egregiously offensive behaviour.
        Almost balanced. The gaudy & second-rate humor product placement of Short's release cheapened the effort.

Peterson's begins his article with: "It's tempting to make light of this affair by, for instance, referring to it as "the short(s) report"

It kinda was just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
          Almost balanced. The gaudy & second-rate humor product placement of Short's release cheapened the effort.

Peterson's begins his article with: "It's tempting to make light of this affair by, for instance, referring to it as "the short(s) report"

It kinda was just that.
          Today there is an update with a Q & A with Hal Bond and information about the upcoming appeal... I am afraid I don't see much happening here and for that matter, I cannot envision much of any possible outcome other than a slap on the hand for Z.A. (of course we would like to see more than a slap and directed not at the hands)
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            Today there is an update with a Q & A with Hal Bond and information about the upcoming appeal... I am afraid I don't see much happening here and for that matter, I cannot envision much of any possible outcome other than a slap on the hand for Z.A. (of course we would like to see more than a slap and directed not at the hands)
            To clarify - the update is the new post at chessbase http://en.chessbase.com/post/kovalyov-the-canadian-case

Comment

Yet another New article on Chessbase "The Canadian Case"
              http://en.chessbase.com/post/kovalyov-the-canadian-case

This was one of the comments.
              JackCrabb 3 hours ago
              "FIDE Ethics Commission", laughing out loud - this sounds as funny as independent courts under Putin and Erdogan.
              If this body deserved its name, rogues like Azmajparashvili would be banned from any post in the chess world.
              I'm afraid the Canadians are wasting their time and money."

I could not agree more that "the Canadians are wasting their time and money". Anton no longer wants anything to do with this and has no interest in receiving prize money owed to him from these "scumbags".

In 2014 the chess world lost the opportunity of a lifetime and so did the CFC to have the full support of Garry Kasparov with the full backing of a billionaire in Rex Sinquefeld. This is one of the consequences of that decision. The likes of Azmajparashvili would have never been involved with a FIDE under Garry. Now the CFC and its members have been dealt yet another horrendous blow by being denied the potential of a possible Canadian Candiate for the World Chess Championship. Back in the day the closest we ever saw was when Spraggett made it through a few rounds of the Candidates that in itself was incredible.
              Sadly, I don't see a solution to the situation as I doubt after Kok, Karpov and Kasparov all were fallen by incredibly corrupt elections that no one in their right mind would waste their time with this truly pathetic organization.
              The CFC could take a lead in boycotting FIDE and working in concert with chess Federations around the world to start a new Federation. I am not holding my breath! The CFC does not have the resources for such an undertaking as they thought it was a good idea to alienate sponsors including me and instead endorse FIDE thugs who's word has proven over and over again to be worthless.
              Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Sunday, 8th October, 2017, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                In 2014 the chess world lost the opportunity of a lifetime and so did the CFC to have the full support of Garry Kasparov...
                I do think this was an " opportunity of a lifetime ", but probably not for the same reasons as you think.

FWIW. I tried to persuade Vlad D. and Hal B. to vote for Garry K. in the previous FIDE Presidential election. That was not because I thought GK would be a better leader of FIDE than Kirsan. Who could possibly believe that optimistic nonsense??? AFAIK, 100% of the evidence shows that GK is incapable of working with anyone who doesn't always agree with him. (e.g. see: FIDE World Championships; see: ACP). In this respect, GK is exactly like the current FIDE autocrats: paying lip-service to democracy only so long as it agrees with his own preferences.

Rather, IMO, and as I said to Vlad D. and Hal B., a vote for GK would have been a vote for the implosion of FIDE.

In response, they both said that it was better to vote for KI and try to change FIDE "from the inside".

Now, we will see... In the next few days -- during the Ethics Commission meeting at the FIDE general assembly -- we will see whether the current FIDE administration will opt for their standard 16th century Rule-by-Authority model, or whether they will (temporarily?) bow to a 20th Century Rule-by-Law.

Personally, I am hoping to be surprised... maybe Kirsan's Buddhist abhorrence for (Zurab's) lack of self-control will over-ride FIDE's seemingly insatiable desire for sponsorship money.

OTOH, I am by nature pessimistic, and so I expect FIDE will do nothing significant to curb the chess world's Zurabs of their unchecked power.

But maybe I'm too pessimistic.

Anyone want to bet?
                Last edited by John Upper; Monday, 9th October, 2017, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                  OTOH, I am by nature pessimistic, and so I expect FIDE will do nothing significant to curb the chess world's Zurabs of their unchecked power.
                  This is probably the correct answer. Hence why I would advise any young and upcoming chess professional to dress up a bit for anything FIDE related. Show them you're above their own mediocrity. Do your part and complain if they don't do theirs.

The very fact that FIDE is a corrupt organization is not a valid reason to show up at the world cup with only a pair of shorts. If you do so, you're essentially playing their game.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper
                    Who could possibly believe that optimistic nonsense??? AFAIK, 100% of the evidence shows that GK is incapable of working with anyone who doesn't always agree with him. (e.g. see: FIDE World Championships; see: ACP)
                    I for one as a former board member of the Kasparov Chess Foundation experienced the polar opposite of what you described. The Kasparov Chess foundation has been a very successful and smoothly running organization to this day. It did not implode ever. As for FIDE the best outcome would be an implosion so that the chess world could free itself from this malignant cancer. People mature over time as they gain life experience. The likes of Rex Sinquefeld was a far more relevant factor who has worked very closely and successfully with Garry over a number of years. Rex created the world renowned St Louis Chess Center. I can give you a long list of sponsors and colleagues equally as impressive as Rex who have had no trouble working with Garry even in times of inevitable disagreements that come up. But why bother...? It is water under the bridge.
                    What I see from you as I saw then is a cheap rationalization for a horrendous blunder that unfortunately the Canadian chess community has now paid dearly for. At least learn from your mistakes! You have completely misjudged Garry. Maybe a vote for Trump was a vote against Hillary but a vote for Garry was much more then a vote against a corrupt murderous ex dictator that in itself should have been enough. If you have not noticed FIDE has already "imploded". Why do you think the chess world has to put up with bizarre venues like Iran or Libya for important chess events? Almost no Western sponsor wants anything to do with this group.
                    Results count for something and the St Louis Chess Center, The Kasparov Chess Foundation and World class western sponsors and even non World class sponsors including my unconditional support over many years in Canada should have spoke for itself.
                    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 9th October, 2017, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Reading through the latest Chessbase article, I have to agree, and unfortunately it's because of Anton's actions since the incidence. By refusing to testify to the ethics committee about the incidence even via Skype, he is sabotaging his defence. This makes little to no sense to me. Anton doesn't want to testify and doesn't even want any prize money. If he is doing it for principles, then speaking in front of the ethics committee is a platform to make his case for his grievances. By refusing to do so he is damaging his own reputation, not FIDE's. In contrast, the CFC's actions since the incidence occurred appear to be exactly what they should be doing. Official letters of protests, appeals to the ethics committee to prevent similar situations in the future, and what I read to be excellent statements by Hal and Vlad on the whole situation.

I can only conclude that Anton is done with chess at this point, period. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Comment

Here is a different question: aside from the last FIDE election and boycotting FIDE events, what could and should the CFC be doing differently to better support their top players at these world events?

If I understand the latest Chessbase article, Anton was alone at the tournament. Could this have been part of the problem? A young chess professional, alone in a foreign country, finds himself in the world spotlight as an underdog in a chance at the world title, after defeating a heavy favorite. He is ill prepared, and does not know how to cope. Who can he turn to?

If my take on this is correct, then we need to do something to prevent such scenarios. At the very least, we need to find some way to send a chess coach or second with the Canadian players, to provide the chess and emotional support that is needed.

Other thoughts/lessons learned from this sorry incident?

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                          Reading through the latest Chessbase article, I have to agree, and unfortunately it's because of Anton's actions since the incidence. By refusing to testify to the ethics committee about the incidence even via Skype, he is sabotaging his defence. This makes little to no sense to me. Anton doesn't want to testify and doesn't even want any prize money. If he is doing it for principles, then speaking in front of the ethics committee is a platform to make his case for his grievances. By refusing to do so he is damaging his own reputation, not FIDE's. In contrast, the CFC's actions since the incidence occurred appear to be exactly what they should be doing. Official letters of protests, appeals to the ethics committee to prevent similar situations in the future, and what I read to be excellent statements by Hal and Vlad on the whole situation.

I can only conclude that Anton is done with chess at this point, period. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.
                          Originally posted by Garland Best
                          I can only conclude that Anton is done with chess at this point, period. It's the only thing that makes sense to me
                          That was obvious when Anton walked out of the tournament hall never to return. As one pundit already said, "the CFC is wasting it's time and money". Bold moves are required as the strategy, trying to "change FIDE from the inside" has been a complete and total disaster.
                          Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 9th October, 2017, 01:02 PM.

Comment

E.Sutovsky wrote on a facebook that the case was thrown out - Anton himself needed to complain, not the federation.

Comment

and here goes the statement by FIDE EC
                              http://www.fide.com/component/conten...lyov-case.html

Comment

Working...
                              X