long slow games online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long slow games online

I haven't played serious online chess for quite a few years now. Back then, on ICC, the longest games that were regularly scheduled were 60 minutes per player, no increment.

Is there a website out there that regularly has longer games, like 90 minutes + 30 seconds increment per move? I don't mind paying for this if there are many semi-serious players.

Thanks in advance, Aris (rated about 1900).

Re: long slow games online

If you would like correspondence games on the internet, anywhere from 1 - 20 days per move, then try www.chessworld.net. I have used it for four years and enjoy the games and the banter.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Streit View Post
      If you would like correspondence games on the internet, anywhere from 1 - 20 days per move, then try www.chessworld.net. I have used it for four years and enjoy the games and the banter.
      thanks, but I was looking for regular time controls, not correspondence pace, regards

Comment

you may try Playchess.com (chessbase). There is a special rating for slow games. However, I have never played or looked for such games on internet (excluding tournament transmissions).
        At this moment the slowest game is 30min+20s; players rating ~1400 vs ~1700. Stronger players (~2200) use 30min. Most games are with 6 min and less.
        My observation with Playchess - it is more popular in Europe. That may create lack of opponents at evenings. Nevertheless there is now about 1300 players.
        Try :)

Comment

Hi Aris,

I think I have the perfect solution for you. There is a group called the ANCL (http://anclchess.net/showteams.php) that manages and organizes games with tournament style time controls. Currently they operate on playchess and possibly the ICC. I have never joined but would be happy to join/create a team with you. Maybe there would be some players active in Ontario/Canada who would be interested in this proposition as well?

Either way I am open for long games on the ICC if you want to play. My blitz rating is over 2000 but my CFC is a poor 1530 - hence I need practice in long games. Overall long games can be difficult to find on the internet due to practicality - and when you do find a game for example, such as 90+30 often the player is not very strong.

Comment

Aris:
            PlayChess works fine but you may have to wait a bit for your challenge to be accepted at the less busy times of the day.
            Gordon

Comment

Hi Aris,

I think I have the perfect solution for you. There is a group called the ANCL (http://anclchess.net/showteams.php) that manages and organizes games with tournament style time controls. Currently they operate on playchess and possibly the ICC. I have never joined but would be happy to join/create a team with you. Maybe there would be some players active in Ontario/Canada who would be interested in this proposition as well?

Either way I am open for long games on the ICC if you want to play. My blitz rating is over 2000 but my CFC is a poor 1530 - hence I need practice in long games. Overall long games can be difficult to find on the internet due to practicality - and when you do find a game for example, such as 90+30 often the player is not very strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Zaghi View Post
                Hi Aris,

Hi Michael, let me look into it. Offhand, I don't believe that a team environment would be most appealing, but give me a few days. I'm also going to try PlayChess. Is PlayChess now what ICC used to be 10 years ago, as in the single dominant online poker server?

Comment

Is there anyone out there who plays (or has played recently) on both ICC and PlayChess? If yes, I could call you (or email you) with some questions I have.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                    Is there anyone out there who plays (or has played recently) on both ICC and PlayChess? If yes, I could call you (or email you) with some questions I have.

Thanks.
                    I use an Playchess interface which comes with chessbase products (right now Fritz 11). Probably it is the same or similar as given at www.playchess.com. please write any your question here or in private. playchess has private messaging as well.

ICC - I used try-t7-days-for-free several times over a decade. I wanted to try-before-buy again several month ago, but could not arrange a 7-day free account to see if there is anything better. Thus gave up with icc. Now i'm receiving their newsletter :D

One more thing: at Playchess you could connect a DGT board for slow games (you may use for any time-control if you are fast enough). Don't know about ICC.

--
                    the last thing: disclaimer: i have some interest with playchess, as they relay my non-commercial chess website for Lithuanian players :)
                    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 3rd July, 2009, 04:49 PM.

Comment

ICC has a team 45 45 league, you arrange a time to meet with the opponent you are paired with, those are pretty long games, you have to play a certain # of standard games to have an established rating to join this league & then find a team, you can play a bunch of 15 minute games that qualify, 20 games are required

here's part of the scoop

=============================================
                      ===> TEAM 45 45 LEAGUE - PLAY IN TOURNAMENT #41! <===

Sign up now to play in the next exciting TEAM 45 45 LEAGUE tourney on ICC.
                      Team 45 45 League provides team format competitive play for ICC members of
                      all levels of skill, with sections for team averages of U1200, U1400,
                      U1600,U1800, U2000, and U2200. Play one game a week with a time control of
                      45 45 for six weeks, followed by up to three rounds of playoffs. Players
                      play on a
                      team of 4-6 players, with any 4 members playing each week. Games are played
                      at a date and time agreed upon by the paired players.

~~ LONG TIME CONTROLS! ~~ Time Control 45 45 gives time to think!
                      ~~ SIX SECTIONS! ~~ Teams for Experts, Novices, and Between!
                      ~~ TEAMS! ~~ Enjoy the camaraderie of teammates. Teams of 4-6 members.
                      ~~ SIX ROUNDS! ~~ Play one game per week April 28 - June 16 (plus possible
                      playoffs).

SIGN UP NOW, and start looking for a team. Teams may enter April 7 - 21.

HOW TO JOIN: Read the QUICK GUIDE at http://team4545league.org/Quick.html

COMMITTMENT: Please sign up only if you have flexibility to schedule a
                      3-hour game weekly for 6 weeks (10 if your team advances to the playoffs).

PRIZES! The ICC donates one-month membership extensions to the winning team
                      in each section.

MORE INFORMATION:

finger team4545.

Ask in channel 345 (type "g-join Team4545League" to request admittance).

TEAM 45 45 LEAGUE ON ICC -->
                      http://www.chessclub.com/groups/Team4545League

TEAM 45 45 LEAGUE WEBSITE --> http://team4545league.org
                      Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 3rd July, 2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I have had the Playchess subscription for two years and just recently have bought a one year subscription for ICC. In terms of which server is the most dominent I would have to lean towards ICC, however by no means does one superceed the other completely as "the online chess website". Since I was not playing chess a decade ago thus having no basis for comparison between then and now so I can only give you my general opinion of each.

The playchess client interface is very polished as a result making it more user friendly. The ranking system is compelling which rewards time spent. The avg. population of playchess is slightly more then ICC however I believe the overall player base is weaker in terms of rating. There are few Canadiian players on the playchess server.

However, overall I believe ICC has more "stuff" going on, which includes videos, simuls, broadcasts and other such events - add to this stronger players and I believe you have the better of the two. ICC has made some advancments with the Dasher client compared to Blitzin but it is still not that great, memebership is also more expensive, this aside if you are in for the chess these factors become trivial. So in final to answer your question I would have to say no.

Also, PM me if you have any questions.
                        Last edited by Michael Zaghi; Friday, 3rd July, 2009, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Just to clarify the games have to be standard rated not 15 minute rated. ICC does seem to have a lot of different ratings, its rated 15 minutes if you hit the automatic match 15 or 5 or 1 icons.

I find ICC good and you get chess.fm included, including the game of the day analysis.

I didn't find the interface all that daunting, it is straight forward to see what tournaments you can join etc and you can always ask for help online in channel 1.

The admins seem okay too although I did get a request to change my handle from Budha as someone complained that this was a 'god'? I pointed out one of their tournament administrators had the handle of Jesus.

They sometimes have sales on membership which I recently took advantage of. They also do offer online extensions if you win a tournament sometimes.
                          Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 3rd July, 2009, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                            ICC has a team 45 45 league, you arrange a time to meet with the opponent you are paired with, those are pretty long games, you have to play a certain # of standard games to have an established rating to join this league & then find a team, you can play a bunch of 15 minute games that qualify, 20 games are required

here's part of the scoop

===> TEAM 45 45 LEAGUE - PLAY IN TOURNAMENT #41! <===

Sign up now to play in the next exciting TEAM 45 45 LEAGUE tourney on ICC.
                            Team 45 45 League provides team format competitive play for ICC members of
                            all levels of skill, with sections for team averages of U1200, U1400,
                            U1600,U1800, U2000, and U2200. Play one game a week with a time control of
                            45 45 for six weeks, followed by up to three rounds of playoffs. Players
                            play on a
                            team of 4-6 players, with any 4 members playing each week. Games are played
                            at a date and time agreed upon by the paired players.

~~ LONG TIME CONTROLS! ~~ Time Control 45 45 gives time to think!
                            ~~ SIX SECTIONS! ~~ Teams for Experts, Novices, and Between!
                            ~~ TEAMS! ~~ Enjoy the camaraderie of teammates. Teams of 4-6 members.
                            ~~ SIX ROUNDS! ~~ Play one game per week April 28 - June 16 (plus possible
                            playoffs).

SIGN UP NOW, and start looking for a team. Teams may enter April 7 - 21.

HOW TO JOIN: Read the QUICK GUIDE at http://team4545league.org/Quick.html

COMMITTMENT: Please sign up only if you have flexibility to schedule a
                            3-hour game weekly for 6 weeks (10 if your team advances to the playoffs).

PRIZES! The ICC donates one-month membership extensions to the winning team
                            in each section.

MORE INFORMATION:

finger team4545.

Ask in channel 345 (type "g-join Team4545League" to request admittance).

TEAM 45 45 LEAGUE ON ICC -->
                            http://www.chessclub.com/groups/Team4545League

TEAM 45 45 LEAGUE WEBSITE --> http://team4545league.org
                            So far, it seems to me that this 45 45 on ICC is the longest regular games available online. That's not too bad actually, but the one thing that struck me as different was that you're supposed to schedule your game with your opponent. Isn't that challenging? Like I remember the 60 0 games were at 3 specific times a day (11am-4pm-7pm, all Eastern), which seems easier to fit into one's life. Are there any regular fixed-time tournaments like this that anyone is aware of? I'm beginning to think maybe not? :(

Comment

It can be challenging, I remember one time when it was particularly challenging. That is one reason why I only played in this concept once a number of years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X