X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open starts this Saturday in Edmonton

Official website: www.edchess.ca

168 players have registered so far.
    Final Registration from 10:00 am to 1:00 PM on Saturday July 11 at the playing site.

Then GM Shirov will give a lecture (open to everyone, no charge) in the playing hall at 1:15 PM.

1st round starts at 4:00 PM.

There are still some tickets left for a simul with Michael Adams, as well as simuls with Ni Hua, Zhao Xue, Irina Krush, Mark Bluvshtein, etc. Available at the registration desk.
    Last edited by Micah Hughey; Tuesday, 7th July, 2009, 07:39 AM.

Re: Canadian Open starts this Saturday in Edmonton

Let's get this thing going! Yeah! Ok, what the hell is this? This board won't allow me to type in caps? I WANT TO DISPLAY MY ENTHUSIASM. THIS IS BULLSHIT.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
      Let's get this thing going! Yeah! Ok, what the hell is this? This board won't allow me to type in caps? I WANT TO DISPLAY MY ENTHUSIASM. THIS IS BULLSHIT.

He may be insane. But I once survived a whole weekend in Lucas's house. I mostly shut myself in their spare room and watched Lucas's Trailer Park Boys DVDs, but I did survive.

Comment

1.Are there going to be live games with Mon Roi?

2.What will be the official site to watch live games.

3.Will it be the Mon Roi site?

4.Are the Edmonton game times 2 or 3 hrs behind Toronto Times?

Good luck to all the participants.

Comment

[QUOTE=John Brown;10921]
          1.Are there going to be live games with Monroi?
          Yes. The top boards will be broadcast, but I won't know how many until Friday when Zeljka from Monroi gets here.

2.What will be the official site to watch live games.
          The official site will be http://monroi.com/2009-canadian-open...hip-games.html

But I hope that ICC will also be broadcasting them, getting the moves from Monroi.

3.Will it be the Monroi site?
          Yes. You are asking the same question, heh heh.

4.Are the Edmonton game times 2 or 3 hrs behind Toronto Times?
          Two hours. So, the first round starts at 4 PM in Edmonton, but 6 PM in Toronto.

QUOTE]

Comment

Right now, GM's Shirov and Mikhalevski are visiting Elk Island National Park (in the rain, no less!) with another Canadian player, Rob Gardner. Shirov is intending to swim in the cold lake... let's hope he survives.

I'm at the Edmonton Chess Club now, where I see that we now have 185 entries to the tournament.
            In about four hours, the Chief Arbiter Vlad Rekhson and I will go to the airport again to pick up GM/WGM Zhao Xue, GM Ganguly, and GM Adams.

If you're in town for the tournament already, but want some pre-tournament chess, come to the Edmonton Chess Club tonight. The doors open at 6:30 PM. Address: #204, 10840 124 st.
            There's a chance I can convince GMs Adams, Xue and Ganguly to stop by the club and kibitz for a while after dinner. I hope so.

Lastly, the tournament is now listed on www.chessgames.com, and they should have the games for public commentary when the tournament starts on Saturday.

Comment

Important update!

1. Shirov did not go swimming in the lake.

2. GM's Adams, Ganguly and Zhao Xue have arrived.

3. After dinner at an Indian restaurant (Adams's choice), Adams, Ganguly and Zhao Xue visited the Edmonton chess club to thrill the patzers. Zhao Xue was nice enough to play a blitz game against yours truly (I lost, of course). Then my little chess student, Jamil (8 yrs old) asked her to play a blitz game and she obliged with a smile. Yes, she won again.

4. Tomorrows arrivals include GM Ni Hua, GM Bluvshtein, IM Krush and many others.

5. The tournament starts Saturday at 4:00 PM local time (6:00 PM eastern). Live games here (registration is free): http://monroi.com/watch/?tnm_id=1289
              I also hope that ICC and Playchess will pick up the games live from the Monroi site. I know that Playchess intends to.

Comment

And if we did the pairings this morning, the first round matchups would be:

1. GM Shirov 2748 vs Allan Wu 1867

2. GM Ni Hua 2701 vs Jered Fokkema 1864

3. GM Michael Adams 2699 vs Ali Razzaq 1859

Comment

Are you not using accelerated pairings for the first two rounds? I think some Cdn Opens did that in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                    Are you not using accelerated pairings for the first two rounds? I think some Cdn Opens did that in the past.
                    This year's Canadian Open will not use accelerated pairings.

Vlad Rekhson
                    2009 Canadian Open
                    Head Arbiter

Comment

You missed out BIG TIME. If you were there now, you could watch Chungking Express.

Comment

Man, there are NO convenience stores around here. This is ABSURD. Went around looking for one; all that could be found were a ton of Subways and a spooky room. Got a chicken sandwich, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                          You missed out BIG TIME. If you were there now, you could watch Chungking Express.

I had to watch that movie for a Film Studies class in University. Really good, although the narrative was kind of over my head. California Dreaming.

Comment

Working...
                          X