X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top three priorities for the CFC Presidency of Eric Van Dusen

Top three priorities for the CFC Presidency of Eric Van Dusen

1) Communication

Beyond fiscal responsibility, the number one priority of the president is communication: Communication to the CFC Executive, the CFC Office Staff, CFC Governors, provincial bodies, tournament organisers, other entities that promote chess, and the rank and file chess players whom without there would be little point.

1.1) Web magazine
    1.1.1) Web magazine was an utter failure; VP De Kerpel admitted there was no content.
    1.1.2) Hire an editor who will be directed to plead, beg, cajole, and bribe designated columnists, tournament directors, and club presidents for content.

1.1.3) Execute a one-time re-design of the web-magazine.

1.2) Electronic Newsletter
    1.2.1) Editor will also publish an electronic newsletter on a monthly basis. It does not have to be long. It just has to be regularly published. The newsletter can use material from the web magazine. That is what the USCF does. For its magazine, one article from a monthly issue is free on the web. The others are locked.

1.2.2) All of the CFC Executive including the Executive director are required to submit a short summary of their monthly activities and a financial statement.

1.2.2) In addition, the newsletter gives something tangible to the rank and file. If Jean Hebert can put out a free newsletter, which he does himself, the CFC certainly can do it also for minimal costs. In addition, if the Ottawa Science Fiction Society can publish an electronic newsletter done by one volunteer without salary, then the CFC certainly can do the same.

1.3) CFC Governors
    1.3.1) The Executive needs to do much more consultation with the governors, tournament organizers, tournament directors, regarding the annual and long-term (five years) priorities of the CFC.

1.3.2) A budget with specific line items needs to be passed at the AGM.
    1.3.3) Rationale: The CFC is a not-for-profit corporation consisting primarily of volunteers. Decision-making needs to be done more on a consensus basis to encourage volunteers to take ownership of decisions and to carry out the mandate of the CFC to promote chess.

1.4) Negotiations
    1.4.1) While the CFC President or his or her designate may have the power to negotiate on behalf of the CFC, the CFC Executive is required to be privy to all progress of such negotiations, and as much as possible consult governors regarding priorities and concerns, and keep them in the loop as much as possible.

(2) Youth Chess
    (2.1) Negotiate a memo of understanding with Chess and Math.
    (2.2) A structured transition program managed jointly by the CFC and CMA to aid youth players on their journey from children’s tournaments run by CMA to CFC adult chess.

2.2.1) A camp run by IM O’Donnell and GM Kunte teaching chess theory but also specific FIDE rules such as a proper way to offer a draw or claim a three-fold repetition, and chess etiquette, the unwritten expectations that govern relations between strangers.

2.2.2) An exchange program between India and Canada, an idea originally suggested by GM Kunte. Larry Bevand thinks the idea is terrific.

2.3) A Youth committee chaired by the Youth Coordinator, and four CFC governors. This permanent committee will be directly responsible for the management of the youth programs, in particular the CYCC and WYCC.

2.3.1) A separate budget, financial statements, and bank account for the Youth Program to ensure that this program is self-sustaining.

2.4) Establishment of an Education Committee
    2.4.1) Its purpose is to support lobbying efforts of provincial organizations. The committee will be chaired by the Youth Coordinator and consisting of any number of CFC governors and members. Patrick McDonald of SWOCL would be a valued member of this committee.

3) Governance
    3.1) CFC Governors
    3.1.1) I will be supporting the motion reducing the number of governors to a much more manageable size.

3.1.2) Activity clause that any governor not contributing on regular basis will be recommended by the CFC Executive to the affiliated body for recall.

3.2) CFC AGM
    3.2.1) Elimination proxy abuse at CFC AGM by educating CFC governors and taking much more time to ascertain that all instructions are being followed. The CFC may want to examine eliminating proxies altogether because Robert’s Rules of Order (as almost all rules of order) assume a meeting consists of informed decision-makers and does not accept proxies outright.

3.2.3) Transform the CFC from a representative democracy to more of an assembly democracy. The CFC may want to examine the possibilities of conducting the AGM by using telephone conference perhaps even televised conferencing. Rationale: While it may have its costs, it would guarantee full governor participation, as well as regular members of the CFC. If the Ontario Lawn Bowling League can conduct regular meetings by teleconference, then the CFC can.

3.3) CFC Executive
    3.3.1) No change to positions, except a Fund-raising manager whose portfolia includes fund-raising, marketing, corporate sponsorships, and promotional campaigns.
    3.3.2) Curtailing of presidential power: All decisions that are urgent by made by a vote of the CFC Executive committee. Any significant decisions affecting the CFC that are not urgent be discussed and decided by the twenty-five CFC governors.

3.5) Establish a Marketing and Fund-raisinng committee chaired by the Fund-raising Manager with invitations, for example, to Gary Gladstone, Gordon Ritchie, Brian Fiedler, and Roger Patterson and any other interested CFC members.

3.6) Establish an Office committee headed by the President consisting of the VP and Treasurer, and two CFC governors at large to manage employee relations.

3.6.1) Negotiate a multi-year contract with the office staff. Rationale: The CFC needs to eliminate political aspects from the running of the office and to have stability regarding office staff.

Re: Top three priorities for the CFC Presidency of Eric Van Dusen

One of my supporters responded after reading this document that it is very ambitious and could take a few years to implement.

To reassure him and all of you, my plan was always to stand for two to three terms as CFC President, assuming most of you thought I was doing a good job.

I welcome your comments, concerns, suggestions.

Let's work to promote the game we all love.

Yes, I once told me wife I had a mistress and that her name was Caissa.

She replied, "Who the $%#@ is this homewrecker!"

I told her she was Greek Godess of Chess.

When I am away with a chess book and a board, my wife knows what I am up to.

Cheers, Eric Van Dusen.

Comment

The Webzine was not user friendly. That is one reason it failed. It was easier for TD and organizers to just post on chess talk.

Getting and editor for the webzine would just waste your money again as it did with the Chess Canada Magazine. I'm not sure how Mr. Hebert gets paid but I like his chess articles that he emails me.

I like the idea of monthly newsletter and you could make it so only members could use and read it. In fact is that not what Chess Talk is ? (a daily chess information centre ). You can read it but only people who register can post on it.

Good Luck with your ideas Eric but can you really do all you say?

I've been a TD and an Organizer of chess since 1982 and I've never had one Governor from my area ever contact me. You have a lot of past follies to repair.

Comment

Re : Top three priorities for the CFC Presidency of Eric Van Dusen

Originally posted by Eric Van Dusen View Post

1.2.2) In addition, the newsletter gives something tangible to the rank and file. If Jean Hebert can put out a free newsletter, which he does himself, the CFC certainly can do it also for minimal costs. In addition, if the Ottawa Science Fiction Society can publish an electronic newsletter done by one volunteer without salary, then the CFC certainly can do the same.
        Nothing is free in this world. It either costs money or time. You dont make an omelette without brewaking some eggs. It is often possible to find a Joe Smith willing to volunteer his time. But notwithstanding the fact that a newsletter by Joe Smith will probably not be of much interest to most people (a serious handicap for a newsletter...), Joe Smith is not likely to last long.

That said, your program is substantial if not perfect of course. This is more than I can say about most political programs that I have seen in the past.

Comment

Re : Re: Top three priorities for the CFC Presidency of Eric Van Dusen

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
          Getting and editor for the webzine would just waste your money again as it did with the Chess Canada Magazine. I'm not sure how Mr. Hebert gets paid but I like his chess articles that he emails me.
          This is no secret. I don't get paid directly but I use it to advertize my services (private lessons, analysis of games, simuls, speeches, etc.). I also get some revenues from a few remarqulbly smart tournament organizers who see the point in advertizing their event on a weekly basis instead of a second or third month basis, while supporting what I am doing.

In my opinion the CFC and the FQE should do something similar, a free newsletter for all, and possibly an extended one with more content for members. This is the way to reach out for former and new members. Staying within the members circle (especially when it is at an historical low) is a dead end.

P.S. Thank you for the word of appreciation of my articles!

Comment

Eric, you've hit the nail on the head. Your priorities of communication, youth, and governance are exactly what is needed. Thank you for communicating such a detailed and positive plan. Not everyone will agree with every point, but I do see a lot of excellent ideas and initiatives.

Good luck in your bid for the Presidency. You have my full support.

Bob

Comment

Motion 2009-14 - Presidential Candidates Take Sides

Motion 2009-14 - Presidential Candidates Take Sides

Hi Eric:

The CFC Constitutional Coalition, which had Governor Patrick McDonald/Governor Paul Leblanc file the motion to reduce the number of provincial representative governors ( Motion 2009-14 ) was very disappointed when it learned the position of the current CFC President, David Lavin, on their motion. He said in GL # 6:

" There has been considerable discussion over the years regarding Governor participation. Like many, I assumed that there were too many Governors and now there is a motion on the floor to reduce the number of governors. However, I have to as, what specific problem does reducing the number of Governors solve? Have there been motions that failed due to a lack of quorum? Have motions failed to pass simply because not enough people voted? While the optics of half the Governors not voting is bad, we should remember that in time of crisis the vast majority of Governors have stepped up and voted. On the other hand, there is a real risk in reducing the number of Governors too much. By minimizing voices, we run the risk of having a very small group of unelected Governors essentially running the organization with no mechanism for change. Fundamentally, reducing he number of Governors is undemocratic and does not solve any problem other than one of optics. "

The Coalition believes that the reason we have so many non-participating govenors is because the provinces cannot find enough good candidates to fill the seats they are allotted. By reducing the number of governors, it will make the positions competitive, and there will likely have to be elections, rather than acclamations. This will bring the good governors to the top. We realize it is only a first step, and is certainly not a guarantee that all new governors will be good, but it will be a definite improvement, and improves the odds that we will get good governors.

So we are delighted to see that as part of your election platform, you support Motion 2009-14:

" 3) Governance
              3.1) CFC Governors
              3.1.1) I will be supporting the motion reducing the number of governors to a much more manageable size. "

We will be telling our Coalition members about your support !

As you may know, we also brought two other motions ( which we designated Motion # 2 & # 3 ) which also reduce the governors - it reduces the unelected former president governors at large by 50% ( and in the process eliminates totally future life governors ). Unfortunately these were " lost " by the secretary and didn't get into the GL. We are still trying to get them onto the AGM agenda. We will look forward to your support for those two motions as well, once they come to vote - sooner or later.

Also, we note your support for an " activity " rule for governors - this is good. The Coalition has focused first on governor reduction, but it is on our agenda as our next project, to stake out a position on this idea ( we will likely be favourable ), and to determine what might be effective activity criterion. So if you become President, we will likely be on the same side on this issue as well in future.

Thanks for seeing the benefit in our governor reduction motions.

Bob

Comment

Eric - how do you plan to deal with the FQE? Would you keep the status quo - or have a different relationship?

Currently - there are only two CFC-rated open events in Quebec annually (Quebec and Outaouais opens) - and possibly some smaller club events in the Gatineau area. What can the CFC offer in the future that the FQE doesn't (e.g. the FQE has a printed magazine). More French services? Some deal on membership rates?

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Top three priorities for the CFC Presidency of Eric Van Dusen

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                  In my opinion the CFC and the FQE should do something similar, a free newsletter for all, and possibly an extended one with more content for members. This is the way to reach out for former and new members. Staying within the members circle (especially when it is at an historical low) is a dead end.
                  Exactly right. I used to publish lots of extra copies of the CCCA publication and whenever people who weren't members wrote for anything or when I went to any chess club or tournament I would give them out. We got new members from that.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                    Eric - how do you plan to deal with the FQE? Would you keep the status quo - or have a different relationship?

Currently - there are only two CFC-rated open events in Quebec annually (Quebec and Outaouais opens) - and possibly some smaller club events in the Gatineau area. What can the CFC offer in the future that the FQE doesn't (e.g. the FQE has a printed magazine). More French services? Some deal on membership rates?
                    Hi Hugh,

Thanks for reminding of the FQE. There is nothing to lose and much to gain to negotiate a Memorandum of Understanding in order to co-operate.

As for comparing the CFC and FQE regarding a magazine, correct if I am wrong but I believe the FQE receives some funding from the provincial government which means that at the moment the FQE could afford a magazine. In addition, the FQE's mailing cost is considerably cheaper and the magazine is in black and white.

The CFC could still have a magazine but revenue would have to be raised, which at this point would have to be an increase in the annual membership fee or an increase in user fees, for example, rating fees.

The CFC governors have not been naturally disposed to an increase in any fees. For example, the membership fee has not been increased in eight years, which ignores the effects of inflation as measured by the consumer price index resulting in a decrease in real dollars of purchasing power.

Any homeowner knows full well that if they want the present level of services from their municple government, property taxes need to increased over time.

While the following generalization is true, it is not necessarily true for every individual, but for the most part, chess players ask themselves what do I get out of a relationship, perhaps what would be much more useful is to ask oneself is what can I give.

According to Dirty Harry, a man has to know his limitations. This is just one of many constraints a CFC politician has to live with.

Politics is fundamentally about what is possible, not what is impossible.

Cheers, Eric Van Dusen.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Van Dusen View Post
                      Thanks for reminding of the FQE. There is nothing to lose and much to gain to negotiate a Memorandum of Understanding in order to co-operate.
                      Define "co-operate". Without defining what you have in miind it's meaningless.

Let me ask you the same thing I asked Mr. Pugi in the early 1970's. What's in it for Quebec?

Quebec chess has done at least as well as the CFC over the last 3 1/2 decades so, other than negotiating the takeover the the CFC by the FQE, what do you have in mind?
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                      X