Canadian WGM, GM, WIM and IM titled players ... the complete list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian WGM, GM, WIM and IM titled players ... the complete list?

Is there a complete list of all our WGM, GM, WIM and IM titled players past and present? Preferably with an image of each.

We would like to do a tribute site.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Canadian WGM, GM, WIM and IM titled players ... the complete list?

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
    Is there a complete list of all our WGM, GM, WIM and IM titled players past and present? Preferably with an image of each.

We would like to do a tribute site.

Thanks in advance.
    chess.ca would be a good start or your honor forbids to visit the federation's website?

Comment

The FIDE site lists all current titled players by country. I'll add the link to this post later when I get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        chess.ca would be a good start or your honor forbids to visit the federation's website?
        Thanks Egi, I'll scrape off my shoes when I leave.

Comment

OK, thanks Hugh! I found this little gem of a website:

http://www.canadianchess.info/canadi...graphiesA.html

Comment

All current Canadian players with FIDE titles can be found here... https://ratings.fide.com/advaction.p...=name&line=asc

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
              OK, thanks Hugh! I found this little gem of a website:

http://www.canadianchess.info/canadi...graphiesA.html
              When we created our current CFC web site, we thought it was important to have this biographical information and we entered an agreement with David Cohen to use his biographies. We now independently update the CFC site.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                When we created our current CFC web site, we thought it was important to have this biographical information and we entered an agreement with David Cohen to use his biographies. We now independently update the CFC site.
                Understandable, that's a fine source a cite. I just finished reading most everything from that link, there's some really ancient stuff reaching back into the late 19th century. And, some really fascinating characters too.

Good to read that the Cheese Barn is keeping player biographies current. Is there a minimum threshold for a chess player or organizer or director to be listed?

Comment

Thanks!

Just digested the list into bite sized chunks:

11 GMs
                  10 WIMs
                  38 IMs

Thanks again!

Comment

Canada has 12 living GM's (Bareev, Bluvshtein, Charbonneau, Hansen, Kovalyov, Lesiege, Preotu, Roussel-Roozmon, Sambuev, Spraggett, Suttles, Tyomkin); 1 GM-elect (Hambleton); 2 deceased GM's (Ivanov, Yanofsky); and 1 GM who was a Canadian when he got his title (Biyiasas)

Comment

Thanks for the note, I miss counted. And thanks so much for the other GM info too! Biyiasas seems to make the cut. I guess that Aman's GM title simply awaits FIDE's next publication? If that's all there is to it I'll create his square as a GM.

16 GMs
                      10 WIMs
                      37 IMs

Almost a full chessboard, eh? This is working out better than I thought :)

Comment

Qiyu Zhou is a WGM

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                          Our masters need to be celebrated.

Over the years there have been great biographies in the CFC magazines. Can they be scanned and pdfs put on the CFC website? I also wrote in Toronto Chess News some biographies on Toronto masters and was thinking that they need to be on a permanent site. If so, I'll probably write more in the future.

Comment

Gary NG is an IM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                              Qiyu Zhou is a WGM
                              Nice catch, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X