Kovalyov vs. Haynes 1-0 Round 3 Canadian Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kovalyov vs. Haynes 1-0 Round 3 Canadian Open

Not sure why Black resigned here after 59. Ke2-e3 (if he did do so), if anything he has the slightly better position, for instance starting with 59...Nxa4.

Last edited by Hugh Siddeley; Tuesday, 14th July, 2009, 01:15 PM. Reason: Adding more content.

Re: Kovalyov vs. Haynes 1-0 Round 3 Canadian Open

Somewhere around there I stopped using the Monroi device. This wasn't on purpose, but I was in time trouble and I missed a couple moves. When I next looked at it, I couldn't figure out what moves I had missed, and I wasn't going to worry too much about it.

However, I did write down the rest of the moves on my paper scoresheet, as I was actually using both.

I did play Nxa4 and I think my opponent played Rc8+ then Rc7+. He then won the g pawn and was going to be queening his e-pawn- I resigned right before that was about to happen.

In the diagrammed position I might have an edge, I really don't know. I can't remember the specific moves, but I may have missed a line where I can keep attacking whites bishop with my rook and right, and perhaps force a draw.

Either way, I was worse for most of the game. I thought I defended well up to a point, but in the end time trouble and my opponents technique did me in. It was a good learning experience, and hopefully I get another crack at a titled player this tournament...

Comment

Re: Kovalyov vs. Haynes 1-0 Round 3 Canadian Open

Thanks for the clarification Nic. Yeah it's tricky writing down your moves and using the Monroi device, time-consuming as well.

In the diagrammed position Junior does indeed say you have a slight advantage (and if I had to pick a side to play I'd probably choose Black), although R+B tend to co-ordinate better than R+N (as Fischer has demonstrated). Tough one, good luck the rest of the way.

Comment

Working...
      X