How to improve ChessTalk thread - removed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to improve ChessTalk thread - removed?

I notice that my post & thread 'How to improve ChessTalk' was removed 3 or 4 days ago. If that was done in error then I am pasting the post below.
    If the admin does not like what I have to say then he should remove me as a poster on ChessTalk - I promise to go quietly.
    The original post >>>>>

It seems to me that rather then dwelling on the mechanics of the web page, what would really improve this site is an influx of new posters. How about recruiting some people at the next Canadian Open? It wouldn't hurt to get some dialog on chess games and positions, for example. This could be facilitated if there was a ready made diagram available at the click of a mouse. I imagine some of our GMs would be happy to comment on some games once a dialog were established. I have always found some of the world's top players were only too happy to participate in chess discussions when approached personally - eg Boris Spassky, Bent Larsen in the original Chess Canada (Masters" Forum)!

Wow! This post is revived after almost two years! The responses focused mostly on the idea of user friendly diagrams for chess positions. What I had in mind was a ready board with pieces on the side so you could click and drag a man into position.
    Also we now have GM Nakamura as a regular. Most gracious of him to do so!

Now, if we had the chess diagram facility as well as a few more GMs posting, we could have a site drawing many more participants. However, if some of those making inane uninformed comments on this site turn their attention to the GM discussion of chess positions we will soon lose the GMs

I agree that stickies are annoying! I think the solution is including a sidebar on the right of the main body of the posts. This is common in other web sites (Susan Polgar for example).
    Now the stickies can be posted on the sidebar as well as any non chess-related threads. There, also, the spam invaders can be invited to buy ad space to sell their wares. Furthermore, that is a good space to place links to other chess sites - the CFC, Live Ratings, Chess Bomb Games, Susan Polgar's Blog etc, etc.

The topic of this thread is How to improve ChessTalk Not how to 'improve' chess.
    Another way to improve ChessTalk, but not mentioned in any post thus far, is for the moderator to urge posters who are off-topic to start a new thread! Presumably, the moderator would stay on topic himself.

helpful threads removed

Another thread with the same title/subject was also removed. See

"How to improve ChessTalk"

The thread with the title "How to do this or that on ChessTalk" is still around. But most of the links are kaput.
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 2nd May, 2018, 01:05 PM. Reason: kaput
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: helpful threads removed

It's a mystery to me. One thought I had that the current moderator, Dark Knight, may have thought my last paragraph >>>>
      " Presumably, the moderator would stay on topic himself." was somehow aimed at him. Whereas the paragraph is a cut&paste from the original thread when you were the moderator. I was prepared to enlighten him that that was the case.
      Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Wednesday, 2nd May, 2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Hi Vlad,

Sorry your post was deleted in error when Tech was attempting to merge duplicated posts.

Thank you for your suggestions which are being reviewed positively.

Dark Knight

Comment

I notice that the favicon is the default one for v-bulletin (at least I assume that is what it is...)
          Might I suggest (and have it WaaaaaY down your list: something chess related for the favicon so this site stands out in list of favourites etc)

:)

PS: NOT a dark knight favicon though... ;)
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
          X