Daniel Xu.... a star is born in Kanata?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel Xu.... a star is born in Kanata?

John Upper (who always does a great job!) has reported about this young fellow on the CFC site.

This 9-year old plays regularly at the R.A. club and he performed extremely well (performance rating over 2350!) at the Three-Rivers tournament in March.

Can someone tells us more?

Larry

Re: Daniel Xu.... a star is born in Kanata?

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    John Upper (who always does a great job!) has reported about this young fellow on the CFC site.

This 9-year old plays regularly at the R.A. club and he performed extremely well (performance rating over 2350!) at the Three-Rivers tournament in March.

Larry
    Had the pleasure of working with Daniel at the WCCC last September in Brazil. Talented kid and glad to see him doing well :)

Comment

I've had the pleasure of witnessing Daniel's progress over my last few years in Ottawa. He is frankly quite remarkable. Not only is he outstanding on the chessboard, but he is an outspoken individual who never shies away from post-game analysis. He has the attitude of a champion and I wish him the very best. I just hope that I can beat him a couple more times before he surpasses me entirely. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Larry
        • He plays classical main-line openings as Black and White (no "system" openings like KIA, London, c4-g3).
        • He regularly plays at the RACC Sunday rapid (10 + 5) and even a year ago could (mostly) remember his games after playing them.
        • He takes Skype lessons from the 3-time RACC Champion, now Waterloo student Joey Qin, who is 2500 CFC but somehow has no FIDE title.
        • He tied for first at the Arnprior Open last weekend.
        • He's getting better.

Link to the mini-report Larry mentioned:
        http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/1054

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
          • He takes Skype lessons from the 3-time RACC Champion, now Waterloo student Joey Qin, who is 2500 CFC but somehow has no FIDE title.
          I don't think Joey has played in any events - or did not achieve a good enough result or enough norms - that would qualify him for a FIDE title. No FIDE events since 2015.

Comment

I liked it better when Daniel would cry after losing!:) Now it is my turn to cry. He is a tough young competitor, improving very fast. Fine calculator combined with strong positional sense. One of our most promising youngsters at the RA, and we have produced a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              I don't think Joey has played in any events - or did not achieve a good enough result or enough norms - that would qualify him for a FIDE title. No FIDE events since 2015.
              It's a very rare situation if a player has CFC above 2500 and no FM title at least. I don't remember anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                It's a very rare situation if a player has CFC above 2500 and no FM title at least. I don't remember anyone else.
                I've nothing against Joey - he's a strong player - but he has worked his rating up slowly via dozens of RA tournaments (Ottawa), and Canadian Closeds in 2011 and 2012. Don't norms expire after a certain time of inactivity?

http://www.chess.ca/players?check_ra...989&key=180510

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  I've nothing against Joey - he's a strong player - but he has worked his rating up slowly via dozens of RA tournaments (Ottawa), and Canadian Closeds in 2011 and 2012. Don't norms expire after a certain time of inactivity?

http://www.chess.ca/players?check_ra...989&key=180510
                  One doesn't need any norm to get FM title. Just cross once 2300 FIDE - that's it. Again, this is a very rare case, that player with CFC above 2500 never crossed 2300 FIDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                    One doesn't need any norm to get FM title. Just cross once 2300 FIDE - that's it. Again, this is a very rare case, that player with CFC above 2500 never crossed 2300 FIDE.
                    AFAIK, Joey was close to 2300 FIDE, but had a bad tournament just after FIDE doubled the k value for juniors. Since then he's been serious about university and plays only online and in Canadian University championships (winning the last two), but those aren't FIDE rated.

Comment

I believe that in fact Joey's "bad" tournament came before​ he jump in the k-value but the CFC screwed up the sequencing and was not prepared to correct its error. This despite representations and an undertaking to cover any cost in doing it correctly.

Comment

Working...
                      X