• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess photograhs of a distant past

http://www.rogerpaige.me.uk/historical_photographs.htm

JPR

Re: Chess photograhs of a distant past

Fascinating. For me pictures of the early Soviets who I had never seen before. Also one picture of Tartakower telling an interesting joke or story and everyone laughing. Sonja Graf and Vera Menchik. Sir George Thomas was almost as big a man as Max Euwe. Tylor was a giant. The 1945 Canadian Championship! I think I recognize Nathan Divinsky. Was Phil Haley in that one? Thanks for the wonderful pictures.

Comment

Caption for Saskatoon Canadian Championship 1945:

Standing, L-R: Canon Roy, Divinsky, Hall, Belson, Neatby, Taylor, Haley, Yerhoff, Rauch, Holowach
      Seated: MacAdam, Hegler, Duval, Helman

Comment

There is one captioned Inter - state Teams (with many of the strongest players in the US) and underneath Thousand Islands 1897. The Thousand Islands are well known by many Canadians as a beautiful vacation area with much history. Stephen, does this mean league chess matches were played there in the 1800's?

Comment

Depends which side of the border you're referring to. The photo depicts teams from New York and Pennsylvania (NY on the top row, PA on the bottom - note also the style of the chess clock on the board in the front row) which met in 1897 at the Murray Hill Hotel. There were several of these matches in the late 1890s, for details see this article by John S. Hilbert:

http://www.chessarch.com/excavations...saratoga.shtml

On the Canadian side places like Cobourg and Kingston were certainly involved in team matches, but whether any were actually played in the Thousand Islands I do not know - many such 19th century matches were played by telegraph or correspondence because of the distances involved.

Comment

Working...
          X