Summary of Golden Horseshoe CC - June 2-3, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summary of Golden Horseshoe CC - June 2-3, 2018

Here is the summary of Golden Horseshoe Chess Championship which was held at Sandman Signature Mississauga Hotel over last weekend June 2-3, 2018

The highlights :

1. A record number 184 players attended the tournament over 7 sections. We will be targeting 200-220 players in our next tournament in a hotel.

2. Almost 30 players in the top section where there were 2 GMs and 1 IM. All 3 of them won the top prizes with GM Bator S ( Canadian Champion ) won 4.5 points drawing with IM Tomas Krnan and beating GM Razvan Preotu. He won $ 1,000 for his effort and Razvan and Tomas shared 2nd and 3rd prize.

3. In the U2000, Kevin Bu won 1st place and a cool $ 800 for his effort. 5 other section winners won a cool amount of $$$.

4. Total prize money awarded - more than $ 7,000 which is one of the biggest in GTA. It was guaranteed even before tournament began. It was a big risk on our part but all went well. We will e transfer to those who has not received their prize money.

5. Rounds started on time except for round 1 which was delayed for about 15 minutes due to some problems. IA Danny Goldenberg handled the situation superbly and ensure the tournament was well run.

6. 3 live boards were set up by deputy arbiter Mikhail Egorov. There were even live screen in the skittle room.

7. http://chess-results.com/tnr358300.aspx?lan=1&art=4

8. Positive feedback from parents and players all round made it very encouraging for us to continue to hold these tournament and make it even better. Next year prize money will more likely to increase.

9. Players all over Ontario attended ( Ottawa, Barrie, Windsor, Kitchener, London, Guelph and many others ).

10. The question on the entry fee - Is it very high ? Most parents and players do not think so as this tournament was played in a big hotel where the atmosphere was superb/relaxing and the prize money was unconditionally guaranteed. Free parking at the hotel as well. The tournament was so well managed by IA Danny Goldenberg which made it feel even better.

Thanks to everyone who has supported us as always and continue to support us as this made us want to host better and bigger tournaments for all of you. A win win situation for all. We may also have a section for senior in our future tournaments.

We are in the process of finalizing our 2019 tournaments. Stay tuned for more updates.

Cheers for Chess in GTA and Canada

Gary Hua

EMC

Re: Summary of Golden Horseshoe CC - June 2-3, 2018

Do you have PGN files of the DGT games and any others?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      Do you have PGN files of the DGT games and any others?
      Hi Hugh,

I will ask Mikhail to send to you.

Thanks

Gary

Comment

Congratulations on what by all measures sounds like a great success of an event.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          Congratulations on what by all measures sounds like a great success of an event.
          Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          Thanks for your kind words and I would like to think the same way....

I always strive to do the best in whatever I do. In business, it should be a win-win situation for all stakeholders and in this case, the followings :

1. Customer / Player / Parent
          2. Shareholder - Organizer
          3. Management- TD
          4. Venue - Hotel

Just to make it short, if one of the parties above lose out from the transaction, the event will not be successful and you can be rest assured that the future tournaments will be in jeopardy.

We do hope that the players/parents will continue to support us in big way so that we can make it even better and worthwhile for them to join.

We also hope you will join us as well in future. We also hope with the strong competition, it will bring improvement the chess level of all players involved.

Gary Hua

EMC

Comment

I just want to congratulate and thank Gary and his team. As a parent I was impressed with the organization and attention to detail they managed to execute at this event.

My son is fairly new to the chess tournament scene but I can appreciate the effort put forth with my past experience as a promoter and competitor at the highest level in competition paintball.

As a competitor you want an event that is run:

On time
            Competent officials
            Excellent venue
            Informative website
            Guaranteed substantial prizes
            Multiple divisions to play against players of similar strength
            An opportunity to see some of the country's most talented players competing

The Elevate My Chess team checked all of these boxes and everyone of them were pleasant to talk to and seemed like they had a genuine interest in growing the game in Canada. Trust me. Nobody filled their pockets at this event. The prize payout, cost of the hall, and bringing in a top arbitrator from Montreal was not cheap.

I look forward to attend and support their future events.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Hack View Post
              I just want to congratulate and thank Gary and his team. As a parent I was impressed with the organization and attention to detail they managed to execute at this event.

My son is fairly new to the chess tournament scene but I can appreciate the effort put forth with my past experience as a promoter and competitor at the highest level in competition paintball.

As a competitor you want an event that is run:

On time
              Competent officials
              Excellent venue
              Informative website
              Guaranteed substantial prizes
              Multiple divisions to play against players of similar strength
              An opportunity to see some of the country's most talented players competing

The Elevate My Chess team checked all of these boxes and everyone of them were pleasant to talk to and seemed like they had a genuine interest in growing the game in Canada. Trust me. Nobody filled their pockets at this event. The prize payout, cost of the hall, and bringing in a top arbitrator from Montreal was not cheap.

I look forward to attend and support their future events.
              Hi Tom,

Thanks for your kind words and your positive feedbacks. We will keep strive to host worthy tournaments for ALL. Players are still the most important stakeholders and without their participations, NO tournaments will be successful.

More details on our future tournaments coming up soon.

Cheers

Gary

EMC

Comment

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...lObFV5cmlBM2J3

https://elevatemychess.com/wp-conten...le-Results.pdf

Once again, thanks to all participants and we will see you again in the coming tournaments.

Cheers

Gary Hua

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post

Hi Hugh,

I will ask Mikhail to send to you.

Thanks

Gary
                  Still waiting for those games. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Still waiting for those games. :-)
                    Hi Hugh,

I passed them over to Larry on June 10th, they're in
                    a yellow file, strapped together with an elastic band:)

Thanks,
                    Francis

Comment

I have received the games - they are gradually getting entered.

Comment

Thanks Francis for bringing it to Hugh and Hugh for your effort.

Cheers
                        Last edited by Gary Hua; Friday, 22nd June, 2018, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X