2018 GM Edmonton International

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 GM Edmonton International

The 2018 edition of the Edmonton International will take place on June 19-24 at the Edmonton Chess Club. The main event this year is a 10 player RR which offers GM norm opportunities. There is also an Open event with up to 20 participants (13 currently registered). Visit edmonton-international.com for more details.

GM section field:
    # Title Name Federation FIDE Rating
    1 GM Anton Kovalyov Canada 2651
    2 GM Victor Mikhalevski Israel 2581
    3 GM Bator Sambuev Canada 2524
    4 GM Enrico Sevillano USA 2461
    5 FM Levy Rozman USA 2400
    6 Bitan Banerjee India 2398
    7 IM Michael Kleinman Canada 2394
    8 FM Ian Findlay Canada 2224
    9 FM Dale Haessel Canada 2173

Re: 2018 GM Edmonton International

The 10th participant is the current Canadian Women's champion-WIM Maili-Jade Ouellet.

Comment

2018 GM Edmonton International

June 20, 2018

There is an interview with Anton Kovalyov in the Edmonton Star today:

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/201...andmaster.html

Some excerpts:

“Grandmaster Anton Kovalyov, the highest-ranked player in Canada, travelled from Richardson, Texas, where he’s completing graduate studies in computer science.

On Monday night, Kovalyov performed a two-hour “simul,” a display of stamina and skill that saw the 26-year-old play 16 simultaneous games against opponents of all ages and stripes.

After finishing off his last opponent, a nine-year-old boy, in a series of flawless victories, the Montreal-based master took a breather to tell StarMetro about the makings of a grandmaster.

What’s it like to play 16 people at the same time?

You play worse for sure. At least I play worse, even though your opponents are somewhat weaker than you. Sometimes you do lose games. I was very close to losing. It can happen. Even the best players in the world, they cannot calculate everything. There’s a lot of intuition involved. You get it by playing a lot of games and studying. It’s not something that you just guess. There was one kid, I think he was a little better. I had a lot of tricks and eventually I tricked him.

How did you train to reach the grandmaster level?

I started when I was 10 years old and I became grandmaster at the age of 16. When I was a kid, I was studying a lot by myself and I progressed pretty quickly. But then with time, when you reach higher and higher levels, progressing is much, much harder. It requires more and more work. Also it requires luck, it requires contacts also, because you need to get invited to strong tournaments. So it’s not that easy.

Did you stop trying as hard after achieving grandmaster status?

I think there is a little bit of truth in that. Eventually, to make progress, you have to study a lot with a computer, you need coaches, and it’s not that easy. For some reason, I did not feel like it was that interesting for me anymore, because of all of that preparation. At higher and higher levels that becomes very essential. And that takes some of the fun for it, at least for me.”

The 13th Edmonton International chess tournament runs June 19 to 24 at the Edmonton Chess Club. Spectators are welcome and can find the schedule at

https://www.facebook.com/TheEdmontonChessClub/

Comment

Are the games posted live anywhere? Or at least the round by round results?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Are the games posted live anywhere? Or at least the round by round results?
          Vlad Rekhson mentioned the tournament website in the original post: http://edmonton-international.com

...but I don't see any results etc.
          Last edited by Kerry Liles; Thursday, 21st June, 2018, 10:22 PM. Reason: clarification
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The standings are on the official website at http://edmonton-international.com/Standings.html

The games are at http://edmonton-international.com/Games.html

Sometimes the Edmonton Chess Club's Facebook page posts results and games slightly earlier than the official website:
            https://m.facebook.com/pg/TheEdmontonChessClub/posts

The Organizer, Rafael Arruebarrena, was going to broadcast the games live and TD as a volunteer. But he had to step in and join the tournament as a player when another player had to drop out one day before the tournament due to a death in the family.
            Last edited by Micah Hughey; Friday, 22nd June, 2018, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Micah Hughey View Post
              The standings are on the official website at http://edmonton-international.com/Standings.html.
              the current standing table is quite confusing.

Comment

I noticed that the WIM maili-jade Ouellet was able to defeat bator as black congrats to her hope she can manage a norm from this tournament!

Comment

Yes congratulations to the win over GM Bator. Excellent norm opportunity.

Comment

According to the X-table, her win was against Arruebarrena not agianst Sambuev to whom she lost.
                    file:///C:/Users/Mahkameh/Desktop/Edmonton%20International.html

Comment

Arruebarrena - Ouellet
                      1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 a6 5. Nc3 Qc7 6. Bd3 Nf6 7. O-O Nc6 8. Be3 Ne5 9. h3 Bc5 10. Qe2 d6 11. f4 Ng6 12. Nb3 Bxe3+ 13. Qxe3 O-O 14. a4 b6 15. Rae1 Bb7 16. Rf2 Rac8 17. Qe2 Ra8 18. g4 Nd7 19. g5 d5 20. Qg4 dxe4 21. Nxe4 Nc5 22. Nbxc5 bxc5 23. b3 Kh8 24. h4 Ne7 25. Ng3 Qc6 26. Be4 Qc7 27. Bxb7 Qxb7 28. h5 c4 29. bxc4 Qb4 30. Qe2 Nc6 31. f5 Qxa4 32. g6 Rae8 33. f6 gxf6 34. Rxf6 fxg6 35. Rxf8+ Rxf8 36. Qxe6 Qxc2 37. Re2 Qc3 38. Kh2 Qf6 39. hxg6 hxg6 40. Re4 Kg7 41. Qd7+ Rf7 42. Qg4 Qf2+ 43. Kh3 Ne7 44. Re2 Qc5 45. Re6 a5 46. Qe2 a4 47. Qb2+ Kg8 48. Qb5 Qc8 0-1

Sambuev -Ouellet
                      1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. e3 e6 4. Bd3 c5 5. b3 Nc6 6. O-O Bd6 7. Bb2 O-O 8. a3 b6 9. Nbd2 Bb7 10. Qe2 Rc8 11. Ne5 Qc7 12. f4 cxd4 13. exd4 Ne7 14. c4 Qb8 15. Ndf3 Qa8 16. Rae1 Ne4 17. Bxe4 dxe4 18. Ng5 f6 19. Nxe6 fxe5 20. fxe5 Bxe5 21. dxe5 Ng6 22. Nxf8 Rxf8 23. Qg4 Qe8 24. e6 Qe7 25. Rxf8+ Nxf8 26. Qxg7+ Qxg7 27. Bxg7 Kxg7 28. e7 Kf7 29. exf8=Q+ Kxf8 30. Kf2 Ke7 31. Ke3 1-0

Comment

Hmm that’s weird then they must have had the standings wrong early and fixed them well

Comment

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post
                          Hmm that’s weird then they must have had the standings wrong early and fixed them well
                          It seems so

Comment

Interesting games!!

Comment

Congratulations Mr. Kovalyov! Winning with 8/9
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X