Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE Arbiter Seminar in Guelph, August 10-12

FIDE Arbiters’ Seminar in Guelph, August 10-12, 2018

Aspiring Arbiters please take note! Guelph is hosting a FIDE Arbiters Seminar from August 10-12. We will be on the lower floor (room 004) of the Guelph University Centre. Whether you are a National Arbiter, a veteran club Arbiter or just starting out, this seminar will cover all of the technical aspects of Arbiting – from the laws of chess to pairing rules to GM norms and anti-cheating regulations. Successful attendees (ie those who pass the exam) will earn a compulsory norm toward their FIDE Arbiter (FA)Title. The FA title allows you to be the Chief Arbiter in a norm tournament.

In order to cover all the material, it will be a full weekend. Friday night will run from 6pm – 10pm and Saturday /Sunday will run from 9am-7pm. The exam will be set on Sunday afternoon.

The seminar fee is $275. You can pay by e-transfer to my email address.
    The Chief Lecturer will be me, Hal Bond, and my assistant will be IA Aris Marghetis. Aris is the Secretary of the FIDE Arbiters Commission and will have recently returned from their pre-Olympiad Commission meeting.
    For further details please contact me halbond@sympatico.ca

Re: FIDE Arbiter Seminar in Guelph, August 10-12

Can a person who passes your course immediately start to direct a FIDE-rated tournament on their own, or will they need to assist an IA/FA at two events to get their FA title?

To prepare for the course, students should read through the official fide rules:
    http://arbiters.fide.com/images/stor...al-2018-v1.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
      Can a person who passes your course immediately start to direct a FIDE-rated tournament on their own, or will they need to assist an IA/FA at two events to get their FA title?

To prepare for the course, students should read through the official fide rules:
      http://arbiters.fide.com/images/stor...al-2018-v1.pdf

After passing the exam, and getting licensed by FIDE [submit papers, they accept them], you could start own FIDE-rated events. Not sure how strictly goes the part "licensed". The list of FIDE licensed arbiters are at http://arbiters.fide.com/images/stor...d_Arbiters.pdf

FA/IA - mainly for title type tournaments.

Immediately - you need to register the tournament with FIDE through the CFC. Latest is two or three weeks before the tournament. Maybe you could go a thin line with a shorter period :)

Anyway, the seminar is piece of a cake :) Aris and Hal are excellent. However, the exam is quite difficult. Start refreshing rules now. Even with the open book, you need to know where to look for a particular clause. Four hours fly fast.

Comment

There are 3 levels of Arbiters in FIDE. The first one is National Arbiter, then FIDE Arbiter and finally International Arbiter. Generally you apply to the CFC for the NA title with the blessing of your provincial association. The licence fee is about $40 FIDE processes these pretty quickly.

Once you are a licenced National Arbiter you can be the Chief Arbiter for a FIDE rated event. FIDE is now very strict about this. When you advance to the level of FA you can be the Chief Arbiter for a norm tournament.

Comment

I really think all the directors of junior tournaments such as regional CYCC or Chess Challenge should take this course. (In some cases isn't professional training a tax-deductible expense?) It is so important to know the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            I really think all the directors of junior tournaments such as regional CYCC or Chess Challenge should take this course. (In some cases isn't professional training a tax-deductible expense?) It is so important to know the rules.

Eric,

That is an excellent idea!

The general course in other countries is for the national
            federation (in our case, the CFC?), which either directly
            sponsors, or subsidizes, the cost of such courses/seminars
            so that they reach as much of the chess populace as possible.

For most chess-players $275 is quite a chunk 'o change!

Just saying:)

Francis R
            IA

Comment

We have 6 prepaid registrants so far and we have room for a few more. Please let me hear from you (halbond@sympatico.ca) if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                We have 6 prepaid registrants so far and we have room for a few more. Please let me hear from you (halbond@sympatico.ca) if you are interested.
                I've sent 3 your way (OS, ME and MMV), as well as provided them with lots of prep material
                case-studies, stuff from Geurt Gijssen, etc. If they flunk the exam, I'll have their heads!:)

FR

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
                  I've sent 3 your way (OS, ME and MMV), as well as provided them with lots of prep material
                  case-studies, stuff from Geurt Gijssen, etc. If they flunk the exam, I'll have their heads!:)
                  Was it from his Chesscafe column? Many fide rules editions passed by now. You should have nice trophies on your walls LOL

Comment

Hope this went well:)
                    ME couldn't make it (Canadian Junior org!), but I know
                    OS, MC, AF and MMV at least did - we await the results!

Comment

Congratulations all around!
                      http://fide.com/component/content/ar...a-results.html

Comment

Some familiar faces. Congratulations to all.

Comment

Working...
                        X