Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Continental championship Sau Paulo Brazil

Hi,

I am playing together with Leonid Gerzhoi representing Canada. After the first round both me and Leonid won our games. There are about 270 players and the playing conditions are not ideal (very crowded and noisy as you can hear the traffic from the street). The first 6 qualify for the world championship or is it the world cup? in Khanty Mansisk. I will try to post from time to time.

Ron.

Re: 2009 Continental championship Sau Paulo Brazil

Originally posted by Ron Livshits View Post
    Hi,

I am playing together with Leonid Gerzhoi representing Canada. After the first round both me and Leonid won our games. There are about 270 players and the playing conditions are not ideal (very crowded and noisy as you can hear the traffic from the street). The first 6 qualify for the world championship or is it the world cup? in Khanty Mansisk. I will try to post from time to time.

Ron.
    Thanks for doing this Ron! Good luck to you and Leonid!

For those who would like more information about this event go to:

http://www.continental2009.com/regulation.htm

Comment

Thanks Larry! For round 2 I get paired with white against the #1 rated player GM Granada Zuniga. Leonid should be paired down with someone not as strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Livshits View Post
        Hi,

Ron.
        Thanks for posting whenever you can... sounds like the conditions are quite a bit less than ideal! I followed the link that Larry posted and found this interesting statement:
        A player may appeal against any ruling made by Chief Arbiter or one of the assistents, provided the appeal is accompanied by a fee of € 150 euros and submitted in written form not later than 1 hour after the end the respective round.

Ouch! Don't leave home without money...
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          A player may appeal against any ruling made by Chief Arbiter or one of the assistents, provided the appeal is accompanied by a fee of € 150 euros and submitted in written form not later than 1 hour after the end the respective round.

Ouch! Don't leave home without money...
          Such a measure is not unusual, and the fact that it is denominated in Euros rather than Reis or Cruzeiros or whatever their currency is now, leads one to suspect that it is common across many events, say for example all Continentals. Just guessing.

If the appeal is not frivolous, the committee will usually direct the organizers to refund the money.

More interesting in my view is the schedule, which calls for 11 rounds over 9 days. Double rounds the first Sunday and the second Saturday. Weekday games in the evening, so that those with a day job in Sao Paulo can play too. I can see this for a Canadian Open, but for a Continental? I guess the overcrowding is a function of this promotional gambit working better than they had imagined.

Nobody has mentioned it in this here thread, but there was some concern about H1N1, it being winter now in the Southern Hemisphere. I doubt that coastal Brasil ever has what we Canadians would consider a winter, but it is their flu season. Adds excitement to following the results. Here is the results basepage:

http://continentalamericas2009.blogs...esultados.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
            Such a measure is not unusual, and the fact that it is denominated in Euros rather than Reis or Cruzeiros or whatever their currency is now, leads one to suspect that it is common across many events, say for example all Continentals. Just guessing.
            What struck me is the appeal fee is in more valuable Euros and the prize money in less valuable American Dollars.

Still, I see the reason for the fee. Frivolous appeals are distracting to the opponent and take up the time of the organizers. Probably 5% of players cause 90% of the problems. At least that's what I found over the years.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Congratulations to Ron for achieving a draw versus GM.Granda Zuniga in second round!
              :)

Comment

Working...
              X