Round 10 Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 10 Update

Another exciting game. This time with black against a solid 2450+ IM. For most of the game I had to defend against a very dangerous attack. After a timely counter-blow I was able to reach an endgame with a B + 5 against a B + 4. I think it should be winning although I wasn't able to. I would like to know what The computer says.

Black: pawns h7,g6,f7,e6, d5; Be7 Kd7
    White: pawns h2, g3, f4, e2; Be5, Kd3

Re: Round 10 Update

I left Fritz running on it overnight. It thinks Black *can* win... I don't have the endgame tablebases installed though, and without those it can be a little weak on endings since a human can in some cases go deeper than the computer will.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I don't know if you need Rybka, but rather Rybinstein.

ECE does not have your ending. The closest I could find was 4 v 3 (all pawns on one side and no inroads), four examples in NB 7/g. Three were won, and the other (Ingrid Dahl vs. Agnieszka Brustman, Slupsk 1987) was drawn. The wins were Szabo - Westerinen, Leningrad 1967; Beljavskij - Rogulj, USSR vs Yugoslavia 1977; and a study by Beljavskij and Mikhalchishin dated 1992. That pair also did the analysis of the female game.

One guy who can play bishop endgames all week is Spraggett. Heck, he doesn't even need the pawn up, if the opponent has a bad bishop. But all pawns on the same side makes the challenge different.

In most endgames where 4 vs 3 is good, 5 vs 4 is better. I guess most famously with rooks. But with bishops the hurdle is often the inroad, i.e., getting the king in to attack the opponent's pawns. No inroad = no win.

I'd certainly have played that position to be a win. If it is not, you have my heartfelt condolences.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
        In most endgames where 4 vs 3 is good, 5 vs 4 is better. I guess most famously with rooks. But with bishops the hurdle is often the inroad, i.e., getting the king in to attack the opponent's pawns. No inroad = no win.

I'd certainly have played that position to be a win. If it is not, you have my heartfelt condolences.
        Right. Basically you need to create a passed pawn with your king in front of it, or well advanced, and even that doesn't ensure a win. (at least I think that's the try.) I don't think this is an easy ending because white doesn't have an isolated pawn.

Still, the chances are all with black and he can cause white lots of aggrevation. It's white who has to eat the time on the clock if black has a plan. So I'd have played on. Often after another 10 or 15 moves the position and chances take on a different perspective.

If a computer will solve this position, I will have to be the computer on a players shoulders.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Both Ron and Leonid drew in the 10th (Leonid found Castaño too tough a nut to crack :D) and have 6.5 points going into the last round. I think that 8 will be required to qualify, if so they're out of the running, but they've represented Canada well. Congratulations!

The good news is ... they don't play against each other!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            So I'd have played on.
            What a thought! Ron implied that he played on from the given position. He just wasn't able to win it, is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
              What a thought! Ron implied that he played on from the given position. He just wasn't able to win it, is all.
              That's nice to hear. I didn't see the entire game, only the posted position. Maybe Ron will post the entire game for end game buffs to pore over. If someone could find a win it would certainly be instructive.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
              X