X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Governor inactivity and Peter Stockhausen

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
    ... he appears to be simply a man who left his spouse without informing her ...
    This is a severe understatement of the reality of the situation, which in no way is a "normal" separation of any type. In fact, the chess angle is clear there are officer(s) of the CFC who know where Peter is and have access to him. Given that Peter's family is searching for him, it is morally unsound to not facilitate a meeting of the minds here ( unless Peter is somehow in danger which on the surface appears not to be ).

One interesting point is I believe anyone facilitating Peter's disappearance may in fact be committing an illegal act. I can't be sure on this and it is puzzling that Peter's wife is not commencing legal action at this time. I would assume a ton of loose ends will be over once she does so. Even if everyone involved believes they are doing the right thing, or Peter has significant health issues, the family has rights over and above anyone else in this case. It is arrogant of anyone else to think otherwise.

As for it being a private manner, the minute Peter disappeared without supporting his family it became a public matter. It is certainly a sad story, I empathize with Peter's hardships, but the family situation must be resolved.

Comment

Why are we discussing this on Chesstalk?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        Indeed... Although Peter S. was (is?) a known personality in the chess world of Canada, this whole affair has nothing whatsoever to do with chess. It became clear early on (once it was obvious Peter had not been kidnapped or killed) that it was just a family matter. Now, these threads are just a lightning-rod for people to attack each other when it suits their purpose. I think Larry should kill this thread too.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
          One interesting point is I believe anyone facilitating Peter's disappearance may in fact be committing an illegal act. I can't be sure on this and it is puzzling that Peter's wife is not commencing legal action at this time. I would assume a ton of loose ends will be over once she does so. Even if everyone involved believes they are doing the right thing, or Peter has significant health issues, the family has rights over and above anyone else in this case. It is arrogant of anyone else to think otherwise.

As for it being a private manner, the minute Peter disappeared without supporting his family it became a public matter. It is certainly a sad story, I empathize with Peter's hardships, but the family situation must be resolved.
          AFAIK there's nothing criminal per se about leaving one's family, and this is corroborated by the speed with which the police closed their file. Does Peter have civil law obligations toward his family? Almost certainly, but it's up to his family to take action.

His wife's "disappearance blog" is something else. I understand that she is upset, devastated in fact, but she's gone over the top by attacking the entire body of chessplayers in Canada. It's clear that the vast majority have no knowledge of Peter or his life situation.

When someone chooses to "disappear" and they have not not committed a criminal act, is it up to those who might know their whereabouts to blow the whistle on them? Private investigators face this decision all the time. AFAIK it is standard practice to tell the family the individual is all right but doesn't wish to be contacted.

If there are legal proceedings and service of documents is required, most PIs will do the job and leave it to the respondent to, well... respond.

My ten cents.

Comment

The fact that Peter is well-known in the chess community does not make his decision to leave his family a "public matter." Just because we're talking and writing about it doesn't mean that our emotional or financial interests are affected -- and in the given context this is surely what is meant by a "public matter."

Comment

Because it's of interest to a segment of the chessplaying community and the rules for this board do not prevent it.

Comment

I started this thread not as a commentary on Peter but for discussion about the proposed Governor inactivity rule. Peter has been 'inactive' as a governor for a couple months now. He is obviously not fulfilling his role as a Governor and the CFC should have policies in place for dealing with situations where a governor is no longer able/willing to participate as a Governor. Peters case seemed like a prime example...

Personally, I have met and played against Peter in a couple of tournaments, I really don't know him that well, but I have had a couple of conversations with him about various topics... I like the guy, so this is not a personal problem that I am using as an excuse to 'boot' him out of the CFC.

Comment

Any chance Larry might like to close this thread as per Kerry's suggestion?

Comment

Any chance Larry might like to close this thread as per Kerry's suggestion?
                    Any chance that instead of constantly trying to evade this situation that the chess community will do something constructive to resolve it ? Haven't heard a thing about how the CFC will help the family out. That's my concluding point.

Comment

Any chance that instead of constantly trying to evade this situation that the chess community will do something constructive to resolve it ? Haven't heard a thing about how the CFC will help the family out. That's my concluding point.
                      On the contrary (and since Larry has not closed this thread) let me ask why the chess community should bear any responsibility at all to do something? Sure, it would be nice to help them, but who should be helped? Does anyone have all the pertinent facts?? I doubt it.

Maybe Peter also belongs/belonged to the B.C. amateur railroading club - where the hell are they? [tongue-in-cheek emoticon here]

As for "Governor inactivity issue" with Peter - that is laughable; considering the lame excuses one might hear, to try to tar Peter with that brush is ridiculous.
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Time to close the thread. Duncan, the chess community does not have any responsibility to "resolve" this issue.

Comment

No Duncan the question is what are you going to do. Ask not what others can do, do what you can do first.

Comment

This is a severe understatement of the reality of the situation, which in no way is a "normal" separation of any type. In fact, the chess angle is clear there are officer(s) of the CFC who know where Peter is and have access to him. Given that Peter's family is searching for him, it is morally unsound to not facilitate a meeting of the minds here ( unless Peter is somehow in danger which on the surface appears not to be ).

Belabouring the point & suggesting there is anything criminal that has gone on is not going to make the family feel better, as you have in the past claimed this is a public board & we should be careful what we say that the family may read. Even hinting that Peter may be in mortal danger is not designed to make anything easier for the family, obviously you are milking this for your own purposes.

Comment

Working...
                            X