No Mon-Roi Transmission for the upcoming Canadian Zonal in Guelph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Mon-Roi Transmission for the upcoming Canadian Zonal in Guelph?

It looks that there is not going to be a transmission of the played games of that Zonal tournament, - on the Mon-Roi's website. It has not been scheduled/listed yet on the list. Isn't that tourney the most important one in this year??
    :(

Re: No Mon-Roi Transmission for the upcoming Canadian Zonal in Guelph?

There is no doubts that the Canadian Zonal Tournament (Closed) that is organized every two years, it is really the # 1 one in Canada by all means. In addition to that, there are two FM titles and one IM one at stock to be achieved by untitled chess players. That makes it even more attractive, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Caesar Posylek; Wednesday, 5th August, 2009, 11:53 AM. Reason: small corrections

Comment

I'm sure they'd be willing to broadcast the games if you pay for their presence :)
      i rep back 3+

Comment

Absolutely, no doubts at all, Kevin!
        :)

Comment

It seems that chess tournaments are barely self-sufficient. Brian Fiedler lost money on the very successful recent Toronto Open.

So when it comes to a Closed tournament ( I think there are 25 entries now ), I guess the money for added expenses, like Mon Roi, is simply not there.

At the recent CFC AGM the governors suggested moving the $ 10,000 in the budget for the webzine to a National Championships' fund, to help develop and promote bids for the Closed, Junior, CYCC, etc.. I don't know whether paying for the Mon Roi expense for a Closed would be considered as an expense for that new fund.

Bob

Comment

It seems the Monroi company isn't looking for new business; I wrote to them in April, May, and June, regarding an event I am planning for 2010, with no response.

Maybe it's me...

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
              I wrote to them in April, May, and June, regarding an event I am planning for 2010, with no response.
              Try to call them: Telephone: (514) 332-2462 (http://monroi.com/chess-contact.html )

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                In addition to that, there are two FM titles and one IM one at stock to be achieved by untitled chess players. That makes it even more attractive, doesn't it?
                In addition to that some politics involved too: the champion and the runner up become Governors; the players may elect their representative too - Masters Representative.

---

During the OCA meeting two years ago, it was mentioned that Kitchener had (have) some Monroi devices but some issue with the main "server". Somehow I thought it was the OCA property. Maybe someone can update this info.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                  It seems that chess tournaments are barely self-sufficient. Brian Fiedler lost money on the very successful recent Toronto Open.
                  Can you name cultural or sporting events that are "self-sufficient" ? Almost all of them rely on sponsorships or public grants to survive. What makes chess "special" in Canada is that in most cases we are not even trying to find sponsors. Is it normal that the arguably premier chess tournament in Canada relies solely on entry fees from the participants to finance itself ? I don't think so. There is a mentality change needed here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Me View Post
                    I'm sure they'd be willing to broadcast the games if you pay for their presence :)
                    As Kevin points out, it's simple. If a sponsor or sponsors want game transmission, presumably to enhance the value of their sponsorship, they should pay for it. Otherwise, money should go to enhance the conditions for the players, be it snacks or better site or more prize fund or lower entry fee or travel grants or ...

I don't know what MonRoi charges, but even if it seems like a lot, it may be subsidized by the hope of selling more of the MonRoi devices. You know, the free razor with the package of blades. It can't be cheap to bring a professional person, drawing a real world salary, transport, accommodation, then any server supervision back home, for a week or longer. That's a long prelude to the question: how many MonRoi devices would they sell to a small field of 2200+ players?

On a more immediate level - the CFC site never was corrected to give the starting date of the tournament. Instead it gives the starting date of a different tournament in a different city. For that matter, the CFC site doesn't mention the city where the tournament is being played. Fortunately, the downloadable PDF does mention the dates (August 7th, arrival day - August 16th) and the city, Guelph. Unfortunately, the word chess does not appear anywhere in the PDF. So we're really showing our colours as chess players, looking inwards. Is there a website? A google search didn't find one, and the chessfest.ca site is for the Kitchener events. It's even OK if they don't have a website (though the fact that websites come more or less free of cost makes them a handy tool for chess promotion), if the best is done for the players. But tell us. That's free and requires little effort.

Incidentally, though I try to ignore CFC politics as much as possible, doesn't the idea of $10,000 for top events (well, from the description not for top events, but for developing bids for them, but if you have to say what it is in a couple of words...) versus the webzine--doesn't that have a Machiavellian air? Pitting the elite versus the ordinary player? I personally wouldn't see it that way, but I wonder if that's the way it plays out, if any non-Governor cares.

Comment

I think that Mr.MacDonald is capable to do Mon-Roi's job with 4 chessboards connected to the internet for games transmission.

Comment

Unfortunately, MonRoi doesn't use DGT boards! In order to broadcast games, MonRoi devices, along with the receiver must be purchased and shipped to Guelph.
                        i rep back 3+

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                          I think that Mr.MacDonald is capable to do Mon-Roi's job with 4 chessboards connected to the internet for games transmission.
                          Or volunteer runners, operators, laptops, internet connection, ICC. But you were asking about MonRoi.

I'm imagining a tournament hall with an inward-facing balcony. Each operator at a laptop uses opera glasses to keep up with the moves in the games, played on the main floor below, like a bear-baiting pit. The operators wear oversized white top hats. Bizarre arm signals optional. :)

Comment

Regarding what is normal for a Zonal, some excerpts from FIDE rules:

In every Zonal Tournament, at least 50% of the participants shall receive prizes.
                            The prize fund shall be at least 10,000 Swiss Francs for a Men's zonal
                            A federation, which constitutes a complete Zone, shall itself determine the amount of its prize fund.
                            Their national federations will meet the players' travelling costs; the organizing federation will pay for accommodation, meals and pocket money for the duration of the tournament.
                            /endquote

Obviously Canada is the world's worst place to qualify to a Zonal.

Comment

If there is no money for such a thing, I'm thinking about other possibilities/solutions to that, Jonathan. Am I right? Time is running out quickly. There are two days left only to start the Zonal tournament!
                              Last edited by Caesar Posylek; Thursday, 6th August, 2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X