Labour Day weekend tournaments - across Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labour Day weekend tournaments - across Canada

Events September 5th to 7th, 2009 - unless noted!

Winnipeg - Abe Yanofsky Memorial Sept 4 to 6

Langley - (BC) Chess Club LDWO

Alberta? I see a slot in Calgary at the ACA site, but no TA.

Quebec City - Robin Girard Memorial Sept 4 - 6

(Montreal Open is the following weekend)

Ottawa Tom O'Donnell small tournament, Sept 5-6.

Toronto - LDO

torontochess.org also has an announcement. CFC not checked until I know it's safe.
    Fredericton - Philippe Brunet Memorial (link fixed mea culpa) Sept 5-7 ; white tie optional.

Halifax - Paul Hake LDO Sept 4 - 7 ; Eight rounds!

St John's : (see note from Morgon Mills, below). Tournament announcements often appear at the NLCA website, but nothing yet

Any more?
    Last edited by Jonathan Berry; Thursday, 3rd September, 2009, 10:20 PM. Reason: Ottawa change; add Halifax; ? St. John's

Re: Labour Day weekend tournaments - across Canada

Hi Jonathan,

I think that Ottawa event was already held in 2008. I don't think there is a Labour Day event in the Ottawa area this year. I have talked to Brad Thomson and the Strategy Games store is open on the Saturday and Sunday. If anyone is interested in some small FIDE-rated event that weekend they can post here or contact me privately via tomohawk 52 at hotmail dot com (with no spaces). I am thinking of something like small Swiss with say 8 players, two of whom wouldn't have FIDE ratings (yet).
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Toronto Labour Day Open

Posted by Gary Gladstone on another ChessTalk thread on the Toronto LDO:

August 5th, 2009, 09:14 PM
      Gary Gladstone

Re: Toronto Labour Day Tournament

http://gtachessevents.memberlodge.com

2009 Toronto Labour Day Open Chess Tournament

September 5th, 6th & 7th (Sat, Sun & Mon)
      Macedonian Community Hall
      76 Overlea Blvd Toronto

Style: 6 round Swiss in 5 sections:
      OPEN (w/ U2300 -- FIDE-rated), U2200, U2000, U1800, U1600 (w/ U1400 & UNR)

Rounds: 11:00AM & 5:30PM on Saturday, 10:00AM and 4:30PM on Sunday & Monday

Time Control: 40/2, SD/1

Byes: Maximum of 2 in rounds 1-5

Entry Fees: $75 if payment is received in advance
      $80 if registered in advance but paying onsite
      $90 cash only onsite
      AMATEUR: $30 Adult, $25 Junior (under 20) (for U1800 and U1600 only)
      (Amateur entries not eligible for cash prizes & do not contribute to prize fund)

Discount 1: $20 less for Juniors (under 20), Seniors (60 and older), Women, and FMs.
      $30 less for Juniors (under 12), and IMs. Free entry for GMs.
      No discount for Amateur players; only one discount per player.

Discount 2: $5 discount per tournament to play in both Labour Day and Thanksgiving Open.
      This discount applies to all players.

Registrants after 10:30AM are not guaranteed to be paired by 11:00AM

In advance by mail to: Bryan Lamb 95 Ferncliffe Crescent, Markham ON L3S4N6
      Make cheque payable to Bryan Lamb. No postdated cheque please.

Email registration to bryan.lamb@rogers.com. Email registrants who haven’t paid must arrive onsite before 10:30AM to pay or will be charged the onsite fee.

Email Money Transfer also accepted. Please send to bryan.lamb@rogers.com

Deadline for advance registration: September 4th at 9:00PM.

Membership: CFC membership must be current. Renewal and tournament membership payments accepted onsite prior to playing.

PRIZES: $7,000
      (Based on 150 non-amateur players or 70 %)
      1st place in Open Section - Prize of $1,000 Guaranteed!

Open section prizes based on entire tournament.
      Unrated players may only play for Open prizes or Unrated prize in U1600 section.

Other Info: No Smoking. Please bring Chess Sets and Clocks.
      Organizer & TD: Bryan Lamb [905.554.4548 or 416.904.5938] bryan.lamb@rogers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post

[Strike]Ottawa - RA Fall Open[/Strike] oops, that was 2008, see note by Tom O'Donnell below. The 2009 event is Sept 25 to 27. And maybe somebody will show me how to do the S or STRIKE tag, the obvious ways don't seem to work.
        [DEL]Strike-out Attempt[/DEL] Apparently del is the new s, but I suspect this will not work either.
        I believe codes must enabled by the vbulletin administrator.
        Last edited by Tony Boron; Wednesday, 12th August, 2009, 06:34 PM. Reason: html

Comment

When I was in St. John's, Alick Tsui mentioned that there would be a Labour Day tournament at the MUN Chess Club as well. They are good folks out there, by the way, and have nice casual gatherings...

Comment

bump.

See changes in first posting: Tom O'Donnell event in Ottawa, possible event in St. John's.

Comment

Bumpitty bump bump bump.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgon Mills View Post
                When I was in St. John's, Alick Tsui mentioned that there would be a Labour Day tournament at the MUN Chess Club as well. They are good folks out there, by the way, and have nice casual gatherings...
                I haven't heard from Alick yet, but there most likely will be an NL Championships on Labour Day weekend. Alick has been busy with life outside of chess lately, so I am not surprised that there is no update. I'm sure he will e-mail the usual participants shortly.

Morgon: Any chance you're coming to St. John's again some time soon? I was in Montreal when you came by this summer, or I would have shown up on the Tuesday night when the b'ys meet...
                No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Philippe Brunet Memorial (Fredericton, NB)

Format: 6 Round CFC Rated Swiss (Open)

Time Control: 40/2, 20/1, SD/30

Entry Fees: Adult $40 / Junior $35
                  (FIDE titled players – GM, IM, FM - receive free entry)

Prizes:
                  1st Overall – Plaque + book
                  2nd Overall – Plaque + book
                  Top Under 1600 - Book
                  No cash prizes

Organizer / TD: Charles Graves

Web site (full details)

Comment

Hi Charles;
                    Which day is Charles Graves tie day?

Comment

Hi John:

I was wondering if I might be able to post the tournament notice and sidestep that question. ;-)

But since you ask...

Sunday (September 6) is tie day – or, as I suppose it is better known, Charles Graves Tie Day.

Yes, CGTD lives on!

We may not be the best chess players down here in New Brunswick, but a case can be made for us being the best dressed.

:)

All the best,

Charles

Comment

Hi Charles, Check out these photos from the other coast.

Link to Best Dressed in the West

Comment

Wow, Brian, I must say... I am impressed!

Full marks to Elliot – the hat is very sharp (both of them). Yes, Howard was lookin’ rather snazzy too! And kudos to Mark for looking like the ol’ pro that he is.

When I announce Charles Graves Tie Day at the beginning of this weekend’s Philippe Brunet Memorial, I’ll let the participants know that there are some evil west coast lads hot on our heels for the reputation of best dressed tournament players in Canada.

Charles

P.S. Apologies to Jonathan if we’ve strayed somewhat from the original theme of this thread – hopefully he recognizes the, um, intrinsic value of this concept and does not object. :)

Comment

Just a reminder to all tournament organizers and players that I am accepting reports for the CFC newsletter (name forthcoming). I have emailed several organizers asking for submissions, but I could also use a few paragraphs from players as well.

Comment

My dear Charles: what piques me more is the Kevin Spraggett Fan Club. Are we passing the Torch to future generations? Just who are those future generations?

Comment

Working...
                              X