Labour Day Event in Ottawa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labour Day Event in Ottawa?

I have secured a site for Saturday/Sunday on Labour Day Weekend, and was wondering if anyone is interested in joining a FIDE-rated small Swiss. Post here or email me at tomohawk 52 at hot mail dot com (with no spaces). Thanks!

So far, I have already received one positive response. I guarantee no byes in the event, as I will play if the numbers would otherwise be odd.

I am looking for a total of eight players, two of whom don't (yet) have FIDE ratings. The tournament will be a four-rounder.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Re: Labour Day Event in Ottawa?

Thus far we have six tentative confirmations (including one unrated standby).

Three of the players are FIDE-rated players (not including me). No more non-FIDE rated players will be accepted.

It's first come, first served so get your application in early. I am putting a cutoff of twelve players, as the room really isn't designed to hold more than that comfortably.

I am thinking of an entry fee structure like this:

FIDE 2200+: $20
    FIDE < 2200: $30
    Unrated FIDE: $40

It certainly won't be higher, but I could be convinced to make it lower.

Four rounds, two on Saturday, September 5th and two on Sunday, September 6th. Time control would be G/90 + 30 secs/move. Round times something like 9 and 3.

I am getting confirmation about whether the event must be rated CFC to be rated FIDE. If it doesn't have to be, it will be rated FIDE only.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Response has been pretty good for this first event (already at eight participants), so I am going to be running four or five other ones over the year. The CFC no longer pays for FM titles, and has never paid for CM titles. So ... I will be extracting $5 out of each EF to these Ottawa FIDE events to be used to pay for any FIDE title actually achieved at one of these events. I think it is likely that Ottawa has at least a half-dozen CM candidates (FIDE 2200+) and another half-dozen FM (FIDE 2300+) ones.

Still a couple of open slots to FIDE-rated players. First come, first served.

Comment

Midway report:

Eight players descended upon Strategy Games yesterday to participate in the "Good Luck Kevin (Wan) and Karoly (Szalay) at the World Championships" FIDE-rated tournament.

After two rounds the scores:

Tom O'Donnell, Dave Gordon, Karoly Szalay: 1.5

Maher Saleh, Jerry Xiong, David Li: 1

Sonja Xiong: .5

Kevin Wan: 0

Despite being outrated by about 700 points in the first round, Kevin managed to unravel from a dubious opening against Karoly, to actually be at least equal (I think) far into the ending. Unfortunately illness after round two meant he had to withdraw, despite still wanting to fight (his parents' better judgement prevailing).

Comment

The final results of the "Good Luck Kevin (Wan) and Karoly (Szalay) at the World Championships" FIDE-rated tournament saw Karoly come through with a last-round win over David Gordon while Jerry Xiong upended Maher Saleh to finish clear second. Youth was served; served a big helping of FIDE points, that is. Kevin Wan recovered enough to play his last-round game which allowed me to re-enter and claim a share of third with Dave.

Karoly Szalay 3.5

Jerry Xiong 3

Tom O'Donnell, Dave Gordon 2.5

Sonja Xiong 1.5

Maher Saleh, David Li 1

Kevin Wan 0
          Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Monday, 7th September, 2009, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Hi Tom -

Do you have any/all games from this event?

Comment

No, sorry. Perhaps other players will be interested in posting their games.

Comment

Working...
              X