Gredine Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gredine Open

I was looking around the internet for interesting games this morning when I stumbled upon a game between GM Hajo Hecht and the young phenom from India, IM Praggnanandhaa.
    GM Hecht is approaching 80 yrs of age and is a seasoned veteran with a fine positional style. In 2006 he played in the Canadian Open in Kitchener so I kept an eye on his chess and enjoyed analyzing his games. In this current tournament he started nicely with two wins and as a reward he is currently playing the 12 yr old phenom. At move 30 white has a slight advantage and its interesting to see choice of moves.

In time pressure White misses the tickler 36.f5! and plays the "safe" Nxf6+ and play leads to a probable losing endgame for White. I enjoyed watching and predicting moves in this game.

Comment

After time control GM Hecht finds several forced moves (according to the computer) and Black must force a perpetual to avoid losing. Congratulations on a fine save by the veteran GM Hecht! I hope he can recover for the next round.

Comment

Of course I was curious as to how GM Hecht would do today as Black. I must say Im impressed. He is playing GM Pruijssers and he's playing a young mans opening - the Modern. I was curious to see how he would handle it and learn strategy and wow I am learning. At move 20 he plays Ke7 keeping his king in the center for the upcoming endgame (the computer suggested 0-0 as best) The position is about equal but rich in strategical possibilities.

Comment

The position exploded into mega tactics with White's eventual pawn lever f4. Black had opportunites for turnaround moves but his king position turns out shaky and the computer at time control thinks he's dead lost. Still the computer variations were very interesting and its good to learn from the defensive possibilities. Now lets see if GM Hecht can defend his lost position.

Comment

Middlegame comes before endgame. The shattered black king position could not survive.

Comment

https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2018...dermann_Stefan I just noticed this game and the game winning tactic. Look for those tactical opportunities. Sometimes they are game winners. Hint: pawn move, double attack, trapped piece

Comment

https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2018...t_Hans_Joachim King walk from kingside to queenside! and then the e5 tickler! Nice fighting game by GM Hecht!

Comment

First post in this thread involved the young Indian phenom Praggnanandhaa. Today he won and all he needs tomorrow is a draw for his third GM norm and the GM title.

Comment

Working...
                  X