Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Chess Hall of Fame

Canadian Chess Hall of Fame

Researched, compiled, written and copyright 2000-10 by David Cohen. Last updated: 2010.07.20.

I thought this was a great initiative by David.

Any chance it gets revived?

Larry

I know in bridge, there is a Canadian HOF and every year at the Canadian Championship a player and an organizer (builder), gets inducted. There is a HOF committee and someone has to be nominated and the committee decides who gets inducted. The player has to be over a certain age or deceased. The only problem is that every year, the quality of the candidates tends to go down, since all the best players are already in the HOF.

In our chess Canadian HOF http://www.canadianchess.info/canadi...allOfFame.html , I see one glaring omission and that would be Vlad Dobrich, who founded Chess Canada and organized many great tournaments in his day and even getting the current world champion (Boris Spassky) to play in one of his Swiss tournaments!

Yes, Larry, great idea to bring revive it. There are some notable gms missing also, but perhaps they are still too young.

Comment

Thanks Ian!

I would like to move forward with this initiative. I will e-mail David first of course. Someone like you on a committee would be awesome!

As for Vlad...In the 60's and early 70's he was chess in Canada!...I would await his magazine ''Chess Canada'' in the mail and read it from cover to cover. I played in his event (I believe 1971) at the CNE...yes I have always said that Vlad was a major contributor to chess in this country.

We could do an 8-year update and go from year to year after that. After I speak with David, I will post something here.

Larry

Comment

I would be happy to help out.

Ian

Comment

I have e-mailed David Cohen and we have come to an agreement to revive (what I think to be) an important part of Canadian Chess History.details to follow as I have to run this by my board of directors in early September. Ian and David are on board...can't wait to get this project moving forward!

Larry

Comment

The board has approved the CMA support of re-establishing the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame (actually they were very excited!).

So we will be working out the details with David Cohen.The CMA Head office in Montreal will become the physical location for the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame and David will will be in charge with the help of a selection committee.

Expect more news over the next few months on this.

Larry Bevand
            Executive Director
            Chess'n Math Association
            Last edited by Larry Bevand; Saturday, 15th December, 2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Well the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame has been revived!

The folks on the committee are: David Cohen, Fred McKim, Ian Findlay, Hugh Brodie and Stephen Wright.

The 2018 inductee WIM Smilja Vujosevic: You can read her biography at: http://chess.ca/node/376

I was not able to attend but I just received an e-mail from David:
              '
              '' Presentation was perfect! Alex Ferreira from Hart House introduced us, I mentioned a bit about the Hall history, Ian talked about Smilja, Ian presented to Vojin, I told about CMA hosting. Photos in a day or so.''

The Chess'n Math Association is proud to host this important part of Canadian Chess History.

Larry

Comment

Thanks for reviving the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame in style, Larry!

Comment

Thanks Hans!

The plaque we produced was actually very nice...we are devoting approximately 20 feet by 5 feet of wall space to this project. We just had the room freshly painted....when I learn how to post pictures on this site... I will be able to share ....help :)

Larry

Comment

Working...
                  X