2018 FIDE Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg AKA Rip Van Winkle View Post
    Again, I do not see the connection. You are so 2004. I live in the present moment.

Have someone explain it to you before you unduly embarrass yourself.

The threat is usually stronger than its execution.

If Paul Bonham is right and I am a psychopath/narcissist/diagnosis of the day from the peanut gallery then I will not react by being disturbed by your threats.
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 18th July, 2018, 02:42 PM.

Comment

The CFC exec discussed their preferred candidate when there were two candidates. Now that one of those has left the field and two others have joined the race, I presume we will have a discussion about the relative merits of the 3 candidates, prior to Canada casting its vote. I am not seeing a lot of value in this exchange between Sid and Vlad.
      Last edited by Ken Craft; Wednesday, 18th July, 2018, 03:04 PM.

Comment

To Hold Down a Pillow

"To Hold Down a Pillow" means not allowing the enemy's head to rise.

In contests of strategy it is bad to be led about by the enemy. You must always be able to lead the enemy about. Obviously the enemy will also be thinking of doing this, but he cannot forestall you if you do not allow him to come out. In strategy, you must stop the enemy as he attempts to cut; you must push down his thrust, and throw off his hold when he tries to grapple. This is the meaning of "to hold down a pillow". When you have grasped this principle, whatever the enemy tries to bring about in the fight you will see in advance and suppress it. The spirit is to check his attack at the syllable "at...", when he jumps check his jump at the syllable "ju...", and check his cut at "cu...".

The important thing in strategy is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive. First, you must act according to the Way, suppressing the enemy's techniques, foiling his plans and thence command him directly. When you can do this you will be a master of strategy. You must train well and research "holding down a pillow".

http://www.bookoffiverings.com/to-hold-down-a-pillow

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
          The CFC exec discussed their preferred candidate when their were two candidates. Now that on of those has left the field and two others have joined the race, I presume we will have a discussion about the relative merits of the 3 candidates prior to Canada casting its vote. I am not seeing a lot of value in this exchange between Sid and Vlad.
          I am not seeing much value either beyond the information content of the implied revelation that Sid is a rat who is running to tell mommy on me. Maybe I have been doing this for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            That's the thing, you are basing your analysis on only part of the picture. I am basing my analysis on a more complete picture including first hand reports from affected people and first hand reports from individuals on the chess circuit who have seen these behaviours.

I cannot blame Mr. Short for being attracted to young women who are extremely beautiful. Most heterosexual males are. In most cases the young woman gets to decide when the behaviour crosses over into what is offensive. When that line is crossed it is often possible to cross back with the right blend of humour and charm. Its even possible to occupy the dirty old man niche but sometimes things go awry and no amount of charm can put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Seduction is a dance of negotiation. It is best if the parties to the negotiation are operating from positions of equality and equal power.
            Uff. Hard to comment reading only your thoughts, and not facts. Was there anything illegal, amoral etc? Have you heard the second side's (aka N.Short) interpretation too?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Uff. Hard to comment reading only your thoughts, and not facts. Was there anything illegal, amoral etc? Have you heard the second side's (aka N.Short) interpretation too?
              Do we really need to go very deeply into it when we have a number of issues which are very clear and not in any dispute.

He attacked Tony Miles in his obituary and implied that he exacted a measure of revenge by sleeping with his girlfriend.

He attacked and mocked Wesley So for his Christianity.

Even ignoring everything else he made himself a poster boy for attacks from women for his pronouncements on women.

He wants to be King maker but why do we need him to be King maker? It seems to me to be a better strategy to look at the potential kings and decide which one is the best and vote for that person.

Comment

I agree with Vlad totally re Nigel.

I mentioned before, but if I can repeat:

Makro has too much negative baggage, supporting Kirsan all these years.

I think CFC should vote for Dvorkovich - it is a good gamble to get someone new in.

Bob A

Comment

Dear Vlad, while I admit to limited knowledge of FIDE and its politics, thus i will not comment on my biased views, I do take exception to your comment "...what is clear in the last decade Kirsan Ilyumzhinov contributed more to Canadian chess than you did", referring to Sid Belzberg. This is simply untrue, and from my perspective continues the unfortunate positioning of adversarial dialogue. Chess has many issues, and certainly being competitive among ourselves is self defeating. Chess to flourish requires collaborative leadership that is able to navigate the natural competitiveness of chessplayers to coalesce them toward a common goal. Are you up to that challenge?

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    I agree with Vlad totally re Nigel.

I mentioned before, but if I can repeat:

Makro has too much negative baggage, supporting Kirsan all these years.

I think CFC should vote for Dvorkovich - it is a good gamble to get someone new in.

Bob A
                    We don't know very much about Mr. Dvorkovich beyond the fact he did a good job at the FIFA world cup and also when he was involved in the Russian Chess Federation.. I don't see George Makropoulos as being bad simply because he worked for Kirsan.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hartman View Post
                      Dear Vlad, while I admit to limited knowledge of FIDE and its politics, thus i will not comment on my biased views, I do take exception to your comment "...what is clear in the last decade Kirsan Ilyumzhinov contributed more to Canadian chess than you did", referring to Sid Belzberg. This is simply untrue, and from my perspective continues the unfortunate positioning of adversarial dialogue. Chess has many issues, and certainly being competitive among ourselves is self defeating. Chess to flourish requires collaborative leadership that is able to navigate the natural competitiveness of chessplayers to coalesce them toward a common goal. Are you up to that challenge?

Brian
                      In the last decade from 2009 to 2018 I am not aware of his contributions beyond trying to annoy me. There was a moment when the conversation could have evolved but then the talk turned to bribery and I am not going to let that go unchallenged.

I believe that I am up to that and any other challenges that we might face. There have been many fair criticisms of the CFC over the years and many more unfair ones.

Comment

Dear Vlad, I appreciate the feedback. I have firsthand knowledge of Sid's considerable contributions, not only monetary, including the Belzberg Canadian Championships, Olympiad contributions/attendance/captaincy, including being a crucial component of the 2006 $60K+ budget for the Olympiad team, assisting individual promising players, etc., etc. I request you concede this point. I will thereby concede in your conviction to continue your contribution to chess in Canada on a collaborative basis.

PS - there are many successful, positive people in the wings to assist if the situation presented itself....

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hartman View Post
                          Dear Vlad, I appreciate the feedback. I have firsthand knowledge of Sid's considerable contributions, not only monetary, including the Belzberg Canadian Championships, Olympiad contributions/attendance/captaincy, including being a crucial component of the 2006 $60K+ budget for the Olympiad team, assisting individual promising players, etc., etc. I request you concede this point. I will thereby concede in your conviction to continue your contribution to chess in Canada on a collaborative basis.

PS - there are many successful, positive people in the wings to assist if the situation presented itself....

Brian
                          There is no question that Sid made massive contributions to chess before 2007 when I returned to chess after a decade's absence so of course I will concede that point. I only knew of Sid as a businessman because I missed that decade or so at least in the sense that I was not actively involved in chess. I can even respect the reason why he stopped supporting FIDE related chess because of the shabby treatment of Israeli players at an Olympiad held in Libya or somewhere like that. We still have too many tournaments held in places where players from Israel or in some cases women are not treated as equals. Some players are happy to play under such conditions. Others are not so willing.

There are many successful, positive people who are assisting Canadian chess and players. We can always hope for even more such people. Thank you for your feedback and for urging me back on a positive path. The dark side always beckons.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                            The CFC exec discussed their preferred candidate when there were two candidates. Now that one of those has left the field and two others have joined the race, I presume we will have a discussion about the relative merits of the 3 candidates, prior to Canada casting its vote. I am not seeing a lot of value in this exchange between Sid and Vlad.
                            Hi Ken,
                            For those that are not aware Ken is part of the CFC executive.I have pointed out that Vlad has changed the reasons three times in this forum as to why the CFC did not receive the remaining 60k of FIDE sponsorship. 1) The first being that FIDE had financlal difficulties, 2) the second being that somehow Vlad would be exposed to sanctions if he crossed into the US if the CFC accepted the money, and finally and recently that the 3) CFC was not eligable for the money because they did not get required tournaments organized in time.

So far the FIDE representative Hal Bond has denied here on chesstalk that the third reaosn was the problem citing that without funds tourneys could not be organized. Furthermore Hal Bond apologized here on Chess Talk for FIDE not keeping its "campaign promises". In my opinion when an international sporting organization confers different treatment to a national sporting organization conditional on supporting an incumbent candidate this is not just a "campaign promise" but it is indeed a bribe. The reason is an international sporting organization is utilizing its assets for a campaign for a particular candidate..That is not part of the mandate for FIDE.

Therefore reasons 2 and 3 are false as per the FIDE rep Hal's postings. So the CFC exec needs to question why would Vlad posts lies about this on a public forum? So far other then trying to belittle me I have seen no coherent response from Vlad or any member of the CFC exec. about this. In view of all these lies how would we know that Vlad did not simply get this money for himself? Without an innocent explanation it looks very bad. Especially when no explanations are offered other then more lies (denial of ever having a specific deal in the first place (although the specific deal previously posted here on chesstalk and elsewhere)). or addressing questions that were not asked such as pointing out that the initial payment was properly distributed to tournament organizers.

One of the questions asked by Peter Mckillop in May of 2016 was where did the initial 20K come from FIDE or Kirsan? At a minimum if FIDE sent the money then the CFC could document that FIDE denied sending the CFC the remaining 60K as per Hal Bond's explanation. By the way I was perfectly content to accept Hal's explanation of a broken campaign promise although I did disagree with his characterization of it as a campaign promise as per above. Now with contradictory posts by Vlad I am not sure.

So to the entire CFC exec i would prefer to bring this discussion to an end and confirm to us that 1) FIDE and not Kirsan sent the initial money to the CFC and 2) FIDE confirmed it broke it's agreement to send the balance. Hopefully that is the correct explanation as was originally implied by the FIDE Rep Hal Bond as to the second point.
                            Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 21st July, 2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

If we had been quicker off the mark with our tournaments it is likely that we would have received more of the sponsorship funds. The funds were guaranteed by Kirsan regardless of the outcome of the election. It is possible that if we had approached Kirsan he might have honored the sponsorship deal but in order to do so we would have risked incurring the wrath of the U.S. Treasury department as he was under sanction at that time. Hal Bond did talk to FIDE about the sponsorship but was told that the cupboard was somewhat bare. That is my recollection of the situation. It is possible my recollection is somewhat flawed but I suspect it isn't. My reasons for not getting the funds have not changed. They are all part of the same set of circumstances.

It is hard to maintain sunny ways in the course of your lies about me, Sid. No member of the CFC executive was in any way enriched by the sponsorship. Some players in Ontario and Alberta got a chance at norms. Some GMs and IMs received some payments. The title of this thread is about the 2018 election. Why don't you get back to trying to shill for a problematic candidate in this year's election. That seems to be your lot in life.

Comment

Vlad, your story still does not make sense. Hal Bond already posted here that being quicker off the mark in organizing tourneys was not the problem, no funding was. Secondly the issue was between the CFC and FIDE, not Kirsan who simply guaranteed that he would supply the funds to FIDE that he apparently did not.

As for trying to shill a problematic candidate I am trying to support a candidate that would get rid of all of the corruption and sanctions issues we are talking about here. I have only spoken to Nigel a few times in my life many years ago so I am afraid "shilling" does not figure into it.Speak for yourself when it comes to "shilling".

I would definitely say "shilling" is a more apt description for you who supports a candidate that apparently dishonored its FIDE obligation to the CFC and longtime partner of a sanctioned man deeply involved with a regime led by one of the most psychopathic murderers on the planet. A candidate that did not lift a finger to right the wrong done to the best Canadian Chess player we had in decades. The other candidate is even more closely involved with Putin's regime. Instead of these very real issues you focus on Short's apparent lack of social graces. That sounds like a very lame excuse.

So Vlad, none of what you stated is logical at all. Usually when something makes no sense there is a reason for it. I think your best bet kiddo is to quit while you are ahead and keep your stupid yap shut!

Comment

Working...
                                X