2018 FIDE Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
    Vlad, your story still does not make sense. Hal Bond already posted here that being quicker off the mark in organizing tourneys was not the problem, no funding was. Secondly the issue was between the CFC and FIDE, not Kirsan who simply guaranteed that he would supply the funds to FIDE that he apparently did not.

As for trying to shill a problematic candidate I am trying to support a candidate that would get rid of all of the corruption and sanctions issues we are talking about here. I have only spoken to Nigel a few times in my life many years ago so I am afraid "shilling" does not figure into it.Speak for yourself when it comes to "shilling".

I would definitely say "shilling" is a more apt description for you who supports a candidate that apparently dishonored its FIDE obligation to the CFC and longtime partner of a sanctioned man deeply involved with a regime led by one of the most psychopathic murderers on the planet. A candidate that did not lift a finger to right the wrong done to the best Canadian Chess player we had in decades. The other candidate is even more closely involved with Putin's regime. Instead of these very real issues you focus on Short's apparent lack of social graces. That sounds like a very lame excuse.

So Vlad, none of what you stated is logical at all. Usually when something makes no sense there is a reason for it. I think your best bet kiddo is to quit while you are ahead and keep your stupid yap shut!

Soon enough you will descend into profanity as you did last time. Brian Hartman took me to task for saying that Kirsan had done more for Canadian chess in the last decade than you have done but he did not factually contradict my statement since he spoke about things that happened in 2006 which was outside of the terms of reference.

When you are engaged in a turnaround as Mr. Makropoulos was at the time we approached him you have to say no a lot.

Nigel is no more a reform candidate than Garry was. He has more skeletons. We blamed Kasparov for the lawsuits by the ECF against FIDE but Nigel was the one who actually filed them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg
      Vlad, your story still does not make sense. Hal Bond already posted here that being quicker off the mark in organizing tourneys was not the problem, no funding was. Secondly the issue was between the CFC and FIDE, not Kirsan who simply guaranteed that he would supply the funds to FIDE that he apparently did not.

As for trying to shill a problematic candidate I am trying to support a candidate that would get rid of all of the corruption and sanctions issues we are talking about here. I have only spoken to Nigel a few times in my life many years ago so I am afraid "shilling" does not figure into it.Speak for yourself when it comes to "shilling".

I would definitely say "shilling" is a more apt description for you who supports a candidate that apparently dishonored its FIDE obligation to the CFC and longtime partner of a sanctioned man deeply involved with a regime led by one of the most psychopathic murderers on the planet. A candidate that did not lift a finger to right the wrong done to the best Canadian Chess player we had in decades. The other candidate is even more closely involved with Putin's regime. Instead of these very real issues you focus on Short's apparent lack of social graces. That sounds like a very lame excuse.

So Vlad, none of what you stated is logical at all. Usually when something makes no sense there is a reason for it. I think your best bet kiddo is to quit while you are ahead and keep your stupid yap shut!
      Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec
      Soon enough you will descend into profanity as you did last time. Brian Hartman took me to task for saying that Kirsan had done more for Canadian chess in the last decade than you have done but he did not factually contradict my statement since he spoke about things that happened in 2006 which was outside of the terms of reference.

When you are engaged in a turnaround as Mr. Makropoulos was at the time we approached him you have to say no a lot.

Nigel is no more a reform candidate than Garry was. He has more skeletons. We blamed Kasparov for the lawsuits by the ECF against FIDE but Nigel was the one who actually filed them.

Of course you do not address the main point of the discussion which is that your convoluted explanation is not logical and in fact contradicted by posts by Hal Bond here on Chesstalk That is the first two sentences of the post that you quoted in case you did not notice.

As for what I have done for Canadian chess post 2006 I could list invaluable contributions that some of the strongest players this country ever had could vouch for. Financially it was many times greater then the 20k in tournament sponsorship the CFC received from FIDE/Kirsan. You continue to put your foot in your mouth. Just because you are not aware of something does not give you the right to make assumptions and then post false statements about me. Don't force me to embarrass you even more!

Whatever so called skeletons Nigel has does not equate to being deeply involved with Vladimir Putin or those that served as an enabler of this debacle that has almost brought FIDE to extinction and it never will.

So I stand by what I already said, "Usually when something makes no sense there is a reason for it. I think your best bet kiddo is to quit while you are ahead and keep your stupid yap shut!"

Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 21st July, 2018, 09:59 PM.

Comment

So I stand by what I already said, "Usually when something makes no sense there is a reason for it. I think your best bet kiddo is to quit while you are ahead and keep your stupid yap shut!"
        Of course you know that I won't keep quiet. I am unaware of any contribution to Canadian Chess in the last decade from you. If you are making them on the QT then great for you.

Its nice to know that you concede that I am ahead.

Comment

I am unaware of any contribution to Canadian Chess in the last decade from you
          Vlad you are full of it. Here is an important and public unconditional offer of support from my colleagues that you in your capacity as president of the CFC in your infinite wisdom chose to reject. This offer was a direct result of my involvement for many years with this group and in fact I had pushed for this outreach to Canada long before Garry ran for FIDE. Additionally I also have helped individuals post 2006 that you might be unaware of although I doubt it. .

This is the unconditional offer here on chesstalk from one of our colleague's of "the terrible candidate" in 2014. Nigel by the way has learned from 2014 and unless the CFC executive changes he will focus his energies where he has a fair chance of being endorsed.

As I said before when something does not make sense there is a reason for it and often that reason is not good.

Originally posted by Mig Greengard
          Response to Canadian Fed Prez Drkulec
          By Mig on July 30, 2014 15:05 | Permalink

[ The Chess Talk message board where I posted this reply to Canadian Federation president Vladimir Drkulec yesterday mysteriously shut down hours later. I'm not a suspicious guy, so I'm guessing it was caused by aliens. I'm just posting this in the long-dead Dirt (RIP) so I can send the link to a few people who wanted to read and/or share it. Sorry it's out of context, but it's clear enough. I fixed a few typos and unclear phrasings. - Mig ]

How do you spend money without first raising it? (And you miss that there are also KCF offices in Johannesburg, Brussels, Singapore, and Mexico City with their own budgets and programs and sponsors.) Do you think the money for this campaign and the private jets through LatAm and Africa were paid for on MasterCard? Do you think Rex Sinquefield is on the ticket so we can then not make good on the campaign's plans and promises? This election wouldn't even be competitive without massive amounts of private sponsorship so Garry could travel constantly and bring federation representatives together at events. Kirsan has done little but focus on how to retain power for 19 years and has rigged nearly every riggable thing possible. Combined with his Russian embassy support worldwide and very successful policy of keeping federations poor and dependent on FIDE and the Continental power verticals so they have to come begging for crumbs and tickets every four years, even challenging Ilyumzhinov was considered impossible.

When you're citing loony stuff like the above [Spraggett] there's obviously no hope of any rational dialogue about what is good for the chess world over the next four years. There are maybe six federations who would go against Kasparov because of his politics and they are all ex-Soviet and/or are tightly in the Kremlin orbit. If the rest actually cared about politics they'd be far more concerned about Ilyumzhinov's FIDE now being completely dependent on Putin's increasingly rogue and sanctioned Russia. As for the rest, as Nigel Short put it well, nobody who supports Kirsan talks about his recent record or his future plans at all. (Nor does Kirsan himself, and nobody on his ticket campaigns or speaks at all other than Makro.) His supporters are either getting something or are afraid of losing something (or both).

That's the way the system has been designed, so FIDE is the boss and every four years the federations come begging for chump change for their votes. And then, votes counted, all those nice Kirsan promises vanish every single time. This is why Kasparov and Leong put things in writing, which of course provided an easy target. Nobody likes to see the sausage being made but it's a lot better when everyone can see what goes into it. The contracts specify that all the money goes into chess, not to individuals. And it's signed, so win or lose, the money goes to chess. Chess! Imagine! Of course Kirsan wants to keep everything under the table. It's a lot cheaper and more efficient to pay one guy than to actually support chess organizations in writing.

Eliminate the fees, the debts, and return power to the federations. Sponsor THEM, work with them to obtain local sponsorship, regional partnerships, and scholastic programs. We've been doing it for years; this isn't just theory or pretty words. FIDE should have been in education and online initiatives, oh, 19 years ago. Instead the only new initiatives have been repeated versions of Agon (FIDE Commerce, CNC, et al) where Ilyumzhinov, Makro, and their gang squeeze even more money out for themselves. You think that's going to be an issue with Garry? With anyone on his ticket? Pffft. Money out or money in, it's a pretty clear choice on that front.

Anyway, we hope for the best for Canadian chess, Mr. Drkulec. I do hope you got something that will benefit your organization and members for your support of Ilyumzhinov. Tromsø tickets for the teams, at least? A few seminars or an event or two? I mean, all of these impassioned attacks on Kasparov would be truly embarrassing if you were the only one in the world doing it for free.

My inbox is always open if you or anyone there would actually like to talk about building up the future of chess in Canada and the world. Garry's is as well. We don't give up on any president or any country because we don't give up on any players and kids who deserve better and who deserve not to be punished for political squabbles they care little about. Let's talk chess in schools in Canada. Let's talk bringing thousands of new members into the system by incorporating online players and bundling them into an attractive demographic for sponsors in Canada and globally. Let's talk you and Canada being an essential member of new FIDE commissions based on language and other more useful and rational categorizations than continents. (The official Americas Continental website is only in Spanish. Still blows my mind. Sorry, USA and Canada and most of the Caribbean!)

Saludos, Mig
          Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 28th July, 2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

It's clear that Drkulec doesn't want to work with successful Capitalists. While I can agree that Belzberg has been an irritant, taking criticism is part of the President's job. It is disgusting that our CFC President puts a slimy ten-year limit to what has Belzberg done for chess, to insult one of the Top Historical Canadian Patrons of Chess (John Prentice, Bernard Freedman, Roger Lemelin, Phil Haley, Daniel MacAdam, Larry Bevand(CMA), etc). Belzberg sponsored national championships and gave employment to several masters. As the official voice of the CFC, our President should be eternally grateful. It really makes any other donors doubtful about contributing their money.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
              It's clear that Drkulec doesn't want to work with successful Capitalists. While I can agree that Belzberg has been an irritant, taking criticism is part of the President's job. It is disgusting that our CFC President puts a slimy ten-year limit to what has Belzberg done for chess, to insult one of the Top Historical Canadian Patrons of Chess (John Prentice, Bernard Freedman, Roger Lemelin, Phil Haley, Daniel MacAdam, Larry Bevand(CMA), etc). Belzberg sponsored national championships and gave employment to several masters. As the official voice of the CFC, our President should be eternally grateful. It really makes any other donors doubtful about contributing their money.
              As the official voice of the CFC I am grateful for generosity that occurred in the distant past. What I have a problem with is the insistence on obsequious toadying and undertaking actions that would hurt the CFC in the long term and short term in deference to these past contributions. My job is to represent the interests of the CFC to the best of my ability and in my best understanding of what those interests were and are, unfettered by what has happened in the past. FIDE is an important pillar of what we are. Getting recognized by the Canadian Olympic Committee was an important milestone which is just starting to pay dividends and that would not have been possible without our association with FIDE and their affiliation with the IOC.

I am not interested in turning over the FIDE car keys to people who have not shown that they have a driver's license or even know how to drive or have wrecked every car they sat behind the wheel of.

I have no problem working with successful capitalists. I have little problem getting people to invest in chess. All I have to do is talk to them and tell them what we are doing. My issue is that we don't have enough organizers to make use of all the opportunities that have been uncovered. In March we met with 26 communities and multiple hotel chains interested in working with us to hold chess events. Most of them are still deeply interested. I don't have enough organizers who can assist them in their efforts. I even had one organizer that was irritated that we were stirring up sponsorship opportunities on "their turf".

Where we do have organizers it seems to me that these efforts in March by Fred McKim and myself have probably led to on the order of $40,000 to $50,000 of sponsorship assuming that the communities get the events they are bidding on or the tournaments being organized go ahead. They could easily lead to ten times that if we had a better infrastructure of organizers

Giving employment to several masters is presumably a mutually beneficial arrangement and hardly something that I would be expected to feel gratitude for. Get real here.

Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 30th July, 2018, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Vlad you are full of it. Here is an important and public unconditional offer of support from my colleagues that you in your capacity as president of the CFC in your infinite wisdom chose to reject. This offer was a direct result of my involvement for many years with this group and in fact I had pushed for this outreach to Canada long before Garry ran for FIDE. Additionally I also have helped individuals post 2006 that you might be unaware of although I doubt it. .

This is the unconditional offer here on chesstalk from one of our colleague's of "the terrible candidate" in 2014. Nigel by the way has learned from 2014 and unless the CFC executive changes he will focus his energies where he has a fair chance of being endorsed.

As I said before when something does not make sense there is a reason for it and often that reason is not good.
                At no point did I reject that offer.
                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 30th July, 2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

At no point did I reject that offer.
                  Good, if you took them up on it you have me to thank for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

As the official voice of the CFC I am grateful for generosity that occurred in the distant past. What I have a problem with is the insistence on obsequious toadying and undertaking actions that would hurt the CFC in the long term and short term in deference to these past contributions. My job is to represent the interests of the CFC to the best of my ability and in my best understanding of what those interests were and are, unfettered by what has happened in the past. FIDE is an important pillar of what we are. Getting recognized by the Canadian Olympic Committee was an important milestone which is just starting to pay dividends and that would not have been possible without our association with FIDE and their affiliation with the IOC.

I am not interested in turning over the FIDE car keys to people who have not shown that they have a driver's license or even know how to drive or have wrecked every car they sat behind the wheel of.

I have no problem working with successful capitalists. I have little problem getting people to invest in chess. All I have to do is talk to them and tell them what we are doing. My issue is that we don't have enough organizers to make use of all the opportunities that have been uncovered. In March we met with 26 communities and multiple hotel chains interested in working with us to hold chess events. Most of them are still deeply interested. I don't have enough organizers who can assist them in their efforts. I even had one organizer that was irritated that we were stirring up sponsorship opportunities on "their turf".

Where we do have organizers it seems to me that these efforts in March by Fred McKim and myself have probably led to on the order of $40,000 to $50,000 of sponsorship assuming that the communities get the events they are bidding on or the tournaments being organized go ahead. They could easily lead to ten times that if we had a better infrastructure of organizers

Giving employment to several masters is presumably a mutually beneficial arrangement and hardly something that I would be expected to feel gratitude for. Get real here.
                    As the official voice of the CFC I am grateful for generosity that occurred in the distant past.
                    You have a strange way of showing it.
                    What I have a problem with is the insistence on obsequious toadying and undertaking actions that would hurt the CFC in the long term and short term in deference to these past contributions.
                    That is your made up conjecture. Your FIDE rep told me he was going forward with our recommendation and we expected these obligations honored. Not only that but we warned you that the US govt had interest at the highest levels in this and that it would not be good for anyone to support Kirsan. We were exactly right!

My job is to represent the interests of the CFC to the best of my ability and in my best understanding of what those interests were and are, unfettered by what has happened in the past. FIDE is an important pillar of what we are. Getting recognized by the Canadian Olympic Committee was an important milestone which is just starting to pay dividends and that would not have been possible without our association with FIDE and their affiliation with the IOC.
                    Kasparov would have easily achieved the same objective. In fact the IOC now has grave reservations about FIDE thanks to Kirsans sanctions.

That is a simply a rationalization of your own shortcomings in decision making. Your choice (Kirsan) was a massive blunder that has now put FIDE on the brink of extinction. The Kapsarov Ches foundation is an enormously successful program as is The Saint Louis Chess Centre.

have no problem working with successful capitalists
                    That is at odds with your post here from 2014 where yuou proudly stated you raised money through a pizza party with "no contributions from rich guys!"

They could easily lead to ten times that if we had a better infrastructure of organizers
                    Your attitude is not conducive to this.

They could easily lead to ten times that if we had a better infrastructure of organizers
                    As you acknowledged in your next post I have done much more then just that.
                    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 30th July, 2018, 03:43 PM.

Comment

You have a strange way of showing it.

That is your made up conjecture. Your FIDE rep told me he was going forward with our recommendation and we expected these obligations honored. Not only that but we warned you that the US govt had interest at the highest levels in this and that it would not be good for anyone to support Kirsan. We were exactly right!
                      So how exactly did you know this?

Kasparov would have easily achieved the same objective. In fact the IOC now has grave reservations about FIDE thanks to Kirsans sanctions.
                      Why are we so focused on 2014? We are here four years later dealing with a new election and you are asking us to support Benny Hill.

That is a simply a rationalization of your own shortcomings in decision making. Your choice (Kirsan) was a massive blunder that has now put FIDE on the brink of extinction. The Kapsarov Ches foundation is an enormously successful program as is The Saint Louis Chess Centre.
                      You must be posting from your phone.

That is at odds with your post here from 2014 where yuou proudly stated you raised money through a pizza party with "no contributions from rich guys!"
                      I don't ever recall raising money through a pizza party. We did have a pizza party for the kids at a grandmaster chess camp with Gergely Szabo in 2016 but that was a break even event though I had anticipated that it would incur some loss at the beginning but the turnout was better than expected. Its possible that you are referring to the fundraiser for the 2015 CYCC where we had 500 people show up for an event promoting a chess tournament. The menu item was spaghetti and marinara sauce and not pizza. The organizers of that event compared it to organizing three weddings. We were on a shortened timeline in 2016 so I did not use the same method in 2016. We also had a pizza party at the bughouse event at NAYCC but that definitely lost money and then they didn't sort the pieces and I was stuck doing it all by myself before returning the sets the morning I left for the Baku Olympiad.

Your attitude is not conducive to this.

As you acknowledged in your next post I have done much more then just that.
                      As far as I know, you have not done much in the last decade or so that I have been back in chess. None of my usual sources are aware of anything that you have been involved in within Canada and I have asked. If you have secretly been generous to certain individuals they have kept your secret. We have moved on. Perhaps you should too.

Comment

Vlad, for the record below is the post you did as well as the link where you speak of a pizza party and other fundraising techniques where you are so proud of "not one rich guy involved". You are correct that you did not organize the event however that is irrelevant to the main thought that you do not like working with "rich guys". Your continual denying or obscuring provable facts serves a good purpose, it speaks volumes for your credibility and quality of so called discourse coming from you.

You are the same guy that denied here on Chesstalk Kirsan's close involvement Putin and the negative fallout from that. You can consider yourself warned as per the other thread that Arkady is already on a presanctions list for SDN's and Makro's long time close involvement with Kirsan leaves FIDE vulnerable to similar problems.

That leaves you with two alternatives, the extinction of FIDE or FIDE run by someone you do not care for but FIDE at least will not go extinct. Of course, you clearly might not like a FIDE with no corruption!

Monday, 7th July, 2014, 01:10 AM

Re: CFC Presidency

You claim to be able to bring sponsorship but what sponsorship have you ever brought to the CFC? What have done as an organizer? Have you even thrown a pizza party? I was at one today by one of the Windsor parents who organized a training day for the kids to get them ready for CYCC. We probably raised $50,000 for chess in a couple of years in Windsor in the 1990s when we had the Windsor Chess Association and we put on various tournaments including a Canadian Open and an Ontario Open. Not one rich guy involved. Just organizing bingos and fundraisers and finding small sponsors.
                        https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...esidency/page9
                        Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 30th July, 2018, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Vlad,below is the post you did as well as the link where you speak of a pizza party and other fundraising techniques where you are so proud of "not one rich guy involved". Your continual denying provable facts serves a good purpose, it speaks volumes for your credibility and quality of intelligent discourse coming from you.

Monday, 7th July, 2014, 01:10 AM

Re: CFC Presidency

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...esidency/page9

Vlad here is
                          Okay. You are expecting me to remember what we did in the 1990s. We had lots of pizza parties back then along with lots of money. We never used pizza parties to generate revenue or donations. We used the pizza parties to spend some of the money that we raised through bingos. We had tournaments at the Trevi Pizza Restaurant at the Windsor Detroit Tunnel we gave all the coffee you could drink and a Pizza lunch and had generous cash prizes and trophies all for an entry fee of $20. I think Hans Jung even came down for one of the tournaments. The one lesson I learned from that time was that lots of money was not always a good thing because of the pressures to spend it foolishly. It got to the point where 1500 players were refusing to play in tournaments unless there were big money prizes.

We got into the bingos because someone decided to organize the Canadian Open without any plan for raising the money to pay for it. Necessity required that we find a way to pay for it and we did.

It is likely that based on the snarkiness of my response I was responding to someone like Frarey or Bonham or in this case Sasha Starr. I was sarcastically asking him if ever so much had organized a pizza party. I'm not sure what that has to do with fundraising.

Comment

We stopped doing the fundraising because the board of the Windsor Chess Association was not happy with the effects that the money was having on some people. In addition, the people who were benefiting from the money were not the people who were doing the work of raising the money in the then smoke filled bingo halls.

Comment

Okay. You are expecting me to remember what we did in the 1990s
                              No, I expect responses relevant to the post, ie "not one rich guy involved". You said you have "no problem working with successful capitalists" that contradicts the "not one rich guy involved" post you already did. Of course from you I expect no rational or credible dialogue whatsoever.
                              Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 30th July, 2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Sid and Vlad, you shall call each other and figure out all details. Just writing here will not solve anything. After that please write me a sponsorship cheque for Aurora Fall Open LOL It will be the 15th tournament, thus a good cause to support :)

Comment

Working...
                                X