2018 FIDE Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post

You seem to be of the opinion that the real target of the sanctions against Kirsan was the government of the Russian Federation. That is also my opinion. However, the US Treasury Department, and the US government generally, jumped through all sorts of bureaucratic hoops to make the spurious claim that Kirsan, by virtue of a unproved connection to a Syrian bank, and an unproven connection between the Syrian government and Daesh/ISIL terrorists, that, therefore, there was a connections between Kirsan and terrorists. It was, IMHO, a steaming pile of animal droppings from start to finish.
    I am certainly not in a position to disagree with you on that. I have no information one way or the other. Innocent before proven guilty does not seem to apply here.

What is also astonishing about the US hubris on this issue is that they - like Canada, the UK and certain other countries that cannot be named I might add - are, now that the Daesh terrorists have been virtually completely militarily defeated in Syria, welcoming, e.g., the White Helmets as "refugees" when the latter have proven connections with the terrorists, were active only on territory controlled by the terrorists, tried, in vain, to justify US and other attacks on Syria by manufactured claims of chemical attacks, and so on.

The hubris of the US aside, and the current POTUS who is, to put it generously, an unpredictable entity, trying to negotiate such a mine-field of nasty politics must be very, very difficult.

I salute you and the Executive for doing your best in an impossible situation. Whatever candidate you decide to support will probably be undermined even before he takes office. To have others come on here, in addition, with bullying tactics and threats, is more of the same nonsense.
    I am a chess player so I understand that the threat is worse than its execution. I don't pay much attention to nebulous threats particularly the ones that are patently ridiculous such as some of the veiled ones that Sid made with regard to our charitable status which for those not in on the joke is non-existent. We are not a charity. I welcome complaints from the misinformed to the charities branch which has nothing to do with us on the general theory outlined in Musashi on the holding down of a pillow.

Well done, and, in the words of Margaret Atwood, "Nolite te Bastardes Carborundorum".
    Illegitimus non Carborundorum is the way it was written in my youth.
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 1st August, 2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

I am certainly not in a position to disagree with you on that. I have no information one way or the other. Innocent before proven guilty does not seem to apply here.

I am a chess player so I understand that the threat is worse than its execution. I don't pay much attention to nebulous threats particularly the ones that are patently ridiculous such as some of the veiled ones that Sid made with regard to our charitable status which for those not in on the joke is non-existent. We are not a charity. I welcome complaints from the misinformed to the charities branch which has nothing to do with us on the general theory outlined in Musashi on the holding down of a pillow.

Illegitimus non Carborundorum is the way it was written in my youth.
      Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec
      Yes your assessment of having no information one way or the other is correct although the US Treasury department does cite a specific bank that Kirsan was involved with that was involved with transactions in Syria. So some information is available. I am quite sure Mr Hanrahan has no more info then you or I and therefore is also not in a position to judge the case.

As far as "innocent before proven guilty " applies to to the US courts for US citizens.

Probably international courts such as the Hague would be an appropriate venue for the likes of Kirsan. I would very much like to see him also answer for the murder of Ms Yadina the opposition journalist murdered by his aides and the countless mothers of starving children in Kalmykia that were hospitalized for insanity for protesting such trivial problems as starving children while money was instead funneled into FIDE.

Of course the rigging of one of the first elections Putin ran in(in Kirsan's region Kalmykia) so that Kirsan himself would not be charged with murder are also well known to the international community. You can read all about this and so much more in "Red Notice" Peter Browder "Putin's Kleptocracy" Karen Dawisha as well as 'Curse of Kirsan" Sarah Hurst.

Even though Makro supposedly held all the executive responsibility for FIDE countless banks turned FIDE down flat. You see a bank does not care about the legal technicalities they are in the business of assessing risk. If the risk is even small for banks that they will face the wrath of the US govt they will not play with FIDE if even a smell of Putin is nearby. Yes this includes long time close associates of Kirsan such as Makro.

You may not like to hear this but the same problems with Arkady exist with Makro and both are equally as probable. If you are an associate doing business with a US Govt "Specialy Designated National" then you yourself end up on the sanctions list. Don't kid yourself that Makro's long time close association with Kirsan even after he ended up on the sanctions list (Kirsan's puppet) won't result with him ending up in the crosshairs of the US govt. Even the scenario of this risk will not be acceptable to any bank. That is why the banks will not do business with FIDE.

So whatever you think of Short or his so called skeletons in the closet they simply do not equal the problems with the other two individuals. If you want FIDE to have a bank account then you have to do a clean sweep and get rid of the past entirely including Makro.

Your duty as an officer of a NFP is to act in the best interests of the NFP. I would assume since you have such an extensive knowledge of the difference between charities and NFPs you would be well aware of what is reportable and what is not. By the way the link I gave previously does not only refer to charities but also NFP's . I was well aware that the CFC is a NFP and not a charity when I posted the link.

It appears to me that as distasteful as you might find it the CFC's only alternative is Short. Heck, I will even play you that blitz match with no preconditions at all Lets just have fun and play some good old fashioned competitive chess! This chess politics stuff is for the birds!

Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Thursday, 2nd August, 2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
        Even though Makro supposedly held all the executive responsibility for FIDE countless banks turned FIDE down flat. You see a bank does not care about the legal technicalities they are in the business of assessing risk. If the risk is even small for banks that they will face the wrath of the US govt they will not play with FIDE if even a smell of Putin is nearby. Yes this includes long time close associates of Kirsan such as Makro. You may not like to hear this but the same problems with Arkady exist with Makro and both are equally as probable. If you are an associate doing business with a US Govt "Specialy Designated National" then you yourself end up on the sanctions list. Don't kid yourself that Makro's long time close association with Kirsan even after he ended up on the sanctions list (Kirsan's puppet) won't result with him ending up in the crosshairs of the US govt. Even the scenario of this risk will not be acceptable to any bank. That is why the banks will not do business with FIDE.
        I think you are grasping at straws here. If Makro were to be sanctioned it would be proof of the insanity of the U.S. Treasury department and nothing else.

So whatever you think of Short or his so called skeletons in the closet they simply do not equal the problems with the other two individuals.
        So certain are you? I am supposed to ignore the militant bigotry against religious beliefs, unapologetic ignorant and embarrassing sexism and simply inappropriate behaviour around young women? Are young women toys to be used as amusements by men of power? Are they "totty" as Nigel has called them?

I am anything but politically correct but it seems to me that electing Nigel would be a slap in the face to half the world's population. Talk to young women of twenty something or thirty something about Nigel and his pronouncements and you get a decided "Ick!"

Nigel sued FIDE and cost them over $1 million U.S. in an effort to bleed them dry. That money should have gone to chess and not lawyers. Am I supposed to ignore that too? Am I supposed to ignore that he tried to sneak that by the ECF voters without so much as a report until called on it?

I think Nigel likes to play the cad and the scoundrel and maybe he is not like that in real life (in the absence of pretty women) and in some circumstances the cad and scoundrel can be a fun fellow but it is not the person that you look to for leadership or reform.

If you want FIDE to have a bank account then you have to do a clean sweep and get rid of the past entirely including Makro.

Your duty as an officer of a NFP is to act in the best interests of the NFP. I would assume since you have such an extensive knowledge of the difference between charities and NFPs you would be well aware of what is reportable and what is not. By the way the link I gave previously does not only refer to charities but also NFP's . I was well aware that the CFC is a NFP and not a charity when I posted the link.

It appears to me that as distasteful as you might find it the CFC's only alternative is Short. Heck, I will even play you that blitz match with no preconditions at all Lets just have fun and play some good old fashioned competitive chess! This chess politics stuff is for the birds!
        That match is possible under those conditions but I am awaiting some news possibly today that may change everything. Certainly I will have a better idea of what is possible either today or in the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec
          I think you are grasping at straws here. If Makro were to be sanctioned it would be proof of the insanity of the U.S. Treasury department and nothing else.
          Why or how or even how probable is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the banks do not want any part of FIDE with Makro in charge. Kirsan is gone, kicked out , Makro is in charge and the banks still will not do business with FIDE. That is the reality today. Makro remaining in charge will not change this. The banks are about risk and could not give a damn about a FIDE election if the same face that they perceive as Kirsan's puppet is still there the situation will remain as is it is now. No matter how unlikely the scenario or how unjust the US Treasury dept does not matter, when it comes to banks perception is reality. The slightest perception of a risk that poses a direct risk to the banks existence = NO!

Shorts shortcomings don't matter! No Short, NO FIDE BANK ACCOUNT....NO FIDE. I am not asking you or CFC to ignore anything, I am simply stating the reality as it is here and now. One thing I know very well is what works and does not work with risk averse financial institutions.

Hopefully, whatever your news is will facilitate us playing the match. Look forward to it.

Comment

An interview with Macro:

http://fideforward.org/2018/04/30/an...s-makropoulos/

Comment

Why or how or even how probable is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the banks do not want any part of FIDE with Makro in charge. Kirsan is gone, kicked out , Makro is in charge and the banks still will not do business with FIDE. That is the reality today. Makro remaining in charge will not change this. The banks are about risk and could not give a damn about a FIDE election if the same face that they perceive as Kirsan's puppet is still there the situation will remain as is it is now. No matter how unlikely the scenario or how unjust the US Treasury dept does not matter, when it comes to banks perception is reality. The slightest perception of a risk that poses a direct risk to the banks existence = NO!

Shorts shortcomings don't matter! No Short, NO FIDE BANK ACCOUNT....NO FIDE. I am not asking you or CFC to ignore anything, I am simply stating the reality as it is here and now. One thing I know very well is what works and does not work with risk averse financial institutions.

Hopefully, whatever your news is will facilitate us playing the match. Look forward to it.

Hi Sid

I don't doubt your business acumen, but if your assumptions are true, why aren't they rampant in the chess media. I did, however, find the following recent post at chessdom:

http://www.chessdom.com/arkady-dvork...lems-for-fide/

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

Hi Sid

I don't doubt your business acumen, but if your assumptions are true, why aren't they rampant in the chess media. I did, however, find the following recent post at chessdom:

http://www.chessdom.com/arkady-dvork...lems-for-fide/

Fred
                Fred it is not about "assumptions" and all about facts. As I already posted , Kirsan is booted out , Makro is in charge and FIDE has no bank account. What part of that do you not understand? Makro participated in a fraudulent attempt to create an illusion of Kirsan with no powers and the Banks did not buy it. Now that Kirsan is gone it is too little too late, the banks will not trust Makro ever again as is undeniably the case right now.

Your article simply strengthens the argument that Arkady will not work either for the same reasons.

Nigel by the way is not alone in the nature vs nuture argument about why so few women have participated in the top ranks of chess. I personally subscribe to the argument that Lazlo Polgar proved that nurture is more the culprit then nature. However, based on the overall statistics I am not 100% convinced at all that this is a closed case and until we have many examples of the Polgar effort we do not have enough data to draw a conclusion.
                Many Y linked attributes have been shown to be unique to men so spatial abilities could well be another one. That is not sexist, it is just a fact.
                Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 4th August, 2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Nigel by the way is not alone in the nature vs nuture argument about why so few women have participated in the top ranks of chess. I personally subscribe to the argument that Lazlo Polgar proved that nurture is more the culprit then nature. However, based on the overall statistics I am not 100% convinced at all that this is a closed case and until we have many examples of the Polgar effort we do not have enough data to draw a conclusion.
                  Many Y linked attributes have been shown to be unique to men so spatial abilities could well be another one. That is not sexist, it is just a fact.
                  Perhaps it might have something to do with the fact that they don't want to associated with people who consider them "totty".

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

Perhaps it might have something to do with the fact that they don't want to associated with people who consider them "totty".
                    "
                    Lol good one, never even heard the expression "totty" I have no doubt that Nigel has said that but doubt if he truly believes this, given that he has a wife and daughter. You seemed to forgive Trump of uttering much worst things. As you undoubtedly would agree with."Let him who is without sin cast the first stone"
                    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 4th August, 2018, 03:44 PM.

Comment

"Totty" is an old English slang term, which while not a great way to describe women, is not at all disgusting, as you seem to think! Sad how two old losers who don't know what the word really means can still get their knickers in a "knotty"? You both need to take a time out....
                      Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Harvey
                        Sad how two old losers
                        Thank you for the kind words, and where does that leave you exactly?

Comment

"
                          Lol good one, never even heard the expression "totty" I have no doubt that Nigel has said that but doubt if he truly believes this, given that he has a wife and daughter. You seemed to forgive Trump of uttering much worst things. As you undoubtedly would agree with."Let him who is without sin cast the first stone"
                          He was talking about young prostitutes in the Phillipines who he said were between 18 and 20 but I'd suspect no one carded them at the "greatest Olympiad ever".

I will readily agree that I am not without sin but I am not running for FIDE president.

Trump is an alpha male's alpha male. I could quote a few of the speed seducers and evolutionary biologists theories on Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Harvey View Post
                            "Totty" is an old English slang term, which while not a great way to describe women, is not at all disgusting, as you seem to think! Sad how two old losers who don't know what the word really means can still get their knickers in a "knotty"? You both need to take a time out....
                            totty in British
                            (ˈtɒtɪ )
                            noun
                            British informal
                            people, esp women, collectively considered as sexual objects
                            Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers

Comment

Yeah, well, you had to look it up! LOL!
                              Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                                More FIDE election info, does this change anyone's position?:

https://en.crimerussia.com/corruptio...nd-corruption/
                                On the FIDE web site, you can find answer to this false allegation. http://fide.com/images/stories/NEWS_...akropoulos.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X