Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Harvey View Post
    Yeah, well, you had to look it up! LOL!
    Are you ten years old? I looked it up when I originally read the comment because I wasn't familiar with the word. 100% of my focus group of 20 something females were offended by the comment.

Comment

I told you it was not the greatest way to describe women, but it is not the capital offence you are making it out to be. "Focus group" hocus pocus group!
      Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Harvey View Post
        I told you it was not the greatest way to describe women, but it is not the capital offence you are making it out to be. "Focus group" hocus pocus group!
        Exactly right but Vlad would prefer to blow up any of Nigel's faults so that they are perceived as a capital offense rather then deal with the key issue. The key issue is that banks will not deal with FIDE under Makro now or ever. Makro enabled Kirsan to perpetrate a fraud on the banks by pretending that Kirsan ( a US sanctioned individual) had no real role in FIDE when he did. Banks as a result will not deal with FIDE under Makro now that Kirsan is booted out as they will never trust Makro again as is the case at present.
        Simply ask Makro, now that Kirsan is out why will UBS not reinstate the FIDE account?

Don't forget by the way that in 2010 when the Russian Chess Federation backed Karpov for FIDE president instead of Kirsan and Makro that none other then assistant to the President of the Russian Federation Arkady Dvorkovich signed the order to have the Russian FSB (Russia's Gestapo) storm the offices of the Russian Chess federation take control of the Russian Chess Federation and have them nominate Kirsan and his loyal puppy dog Makro instead.

These are the corrupt thugs that our CFC has a history of endorsing that the international banking community quite rightly will not trust now or ever!.
        Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Sunday, 5th August, 2018, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post

Exactly right but Vlad would prefer to blow up any of Nigel's faults so that they are perceived as a capital offense rather then deal with the key issue. The key issue is that banks will not deal with FIDE under Makro now or ever. Makro enabled Kirsan to perpetrate a fraud on the banks by pretending that Kirsan ( a US sanctioned individual) had no real role in FIDE when he did. Banks as a result will not deal with FIDE under Makro now that Kirsan is booted out as they will never trust Makro again as is the case at present.
          Simply ask Makro, now that Kirsan is out why will UBS not reinstate the FIDE account?

Don't forget by the way that in 2010 when the Russian Chess Federation backed Karpov for FIDE president instead of Kirsan and Makro that none other then assistant to the President of the Russian Federation Arkady Dvorkovich signed the order to have the Russian FSB (Russia's Gestapo) storm the offices of the Russian Chess federation take control of the Russian Chess Federation and have them nominate Kirsan and his loyal puppy dog Makro instead.

These are the corrupt thugs that our CFC has a history of endorsing that the international banking community quite rightly will not trust now or ever!.
          I am surprised that you trivialize the actions of the Gestapo by equating the FSB to them. I get that the FSB are not the nicest people but comparing them to the Gestapo is surprising to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec
            I get that the FSB are not the nicest people
            Therefore the CFC should endorse those that are involved with them? Why?.... because even though the MO is the same as the Gestapo unlike the Gestapo, they have not yet ramped up to full mass production murder? Get real.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post

Therefore the CFC should endorse those that are involved with them? Why?.... because even though the MO is the same as the Gestapo unlike the Gestapo, they have not yet ramped up to full mass production murder? Get real.
              It is unlikely that we will be supporting Dvorkovich so you can relax. No FSB agents in sight.

Comment

So the takeaway from all this is that chesstalk posters support sexism and ignore Godwin's law.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  So the takeaway from all this is that chesstalk posters support sexism and ignore Godwin's law.
                  I think the first of those takeaways is a bit of a problematic generalization. I've been following this post, and I don't think I've read much of an outpouring of support for Mr. Short from anyone except Mr. Belzberg (please correct me if I've forgotten something). In fact, there are very few voices speaking up on any side in this whole discussion.

Speaking as a player and organizer from a smaller region of the country, where FIDE events are as rare as dodo birds, I have to say that I doubt very much whether the results of the FIDE election will have any real impact on the local chess scene. Knowing that, it is rather difficult to muster any enthusiasm to contribute to a debate which stirs up so much bile when none of the sides have any real benefit to offer the local chess scene. I imagine I'm not alone in that feeling. As long as the CFC is working, and considering the healthy membership I would say that it is, everything is fine on the local player's end. Without motivation to speak up, how many voices are going to step in to condemn a man who is highly unlikely to win anyway? I find Mr. Short's comments and behaviour to be distasteful, to say the least, but at a grassroots level in Canada, FIDE is practically a non-entity, and Mr. Short's candidacy equally so.

As far as Godwin's Law goes, this thread was doing so well for a while, but now it's just another bit of support for Mr. Godwin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Manley View Post

I think the first of those takeaways is a bit of a problematic generalization. I've been following this post, and I don't think I've read much of an outpouring of support for Mr. Short from anyone except Mr. Belzberg (please correct me if I've forgotten something). In fact, there are very few voices speaking up on any side in this whole discussion.

Speaking as a player and organizer from a smaller region of the country, where FIDE events are as rare as dodo birds, I have to say that I doubt very much whether the results of the FIDE election will have any real impact on the local chess scene. Knowing that, it is rather difficult to muster any enthusiasm to contribute to a debate which stirs up so much bile when none of the sides have any real benefit to offer the local chess scene. I imagine I'm not alone in that feeling. As long as the CFC is working, and considering the healthy membership I would say that it is, everything is fine on the local player's end. Without motivation to speak up, how many voices are going to step in to condemn a man who is highly unlikely to win anyway? I find Mr. Short's comments and behaviour to be distasteful, to say the least, but at a grassroots level in Canada, FIDE is practically a non-entity, and Mr. Short's candidacy equally so.

As far as Godwin's Law goes, this thread was doing so well for a while, but now it's just another bit of support for Mr. Godwin.
                    My comment was a bit unfair as earlier in this thread or perhaps the other one on the FIDE election there were several voices expressing distaste for Short's behaviour and statements (Garland Best, Bob Armstrong and at least one or two others come to mind.) FIDE is important to many of our higher rated players. It is important to us as our gateway to world chess. We will vote for the individual who seems to be the best choice and to me and the CFC board that person is George Makropoulos.
                    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 5th August, 2018, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason Manley View Post

Hi Jason,
                      As a local organizer in Canada you stand to gain a lot by having the CFC support Nigel Short. During the last election Mig Greengard Kasparov's right hand man posted this offer to Vlad here on chesstalk.

Originally posted by Mig Grrengard
                      My inbox is always open if you or anyone there would actually like to talk about building up the future of chess in Canada and the world. Garry's is as well. We don't give up on any president or any country because we don't give up on any players and kids who deserve better and who deserve not to be punished for political squabbles they care little about. Let's talk chess in schools in Canada. Let's talk bringing thousands of new members into the system by incorporating online players and bundling them into an attractive demographic for sponsors in Canada and globally. Let's talk you and Canada being an essential member of new FIDE commissions based on language and other more useful and rational categorizations than continents. (The official Americas Continental website is only in Spanish. Still blows my mind. Sorry, USA and Canada and most of the Caribbean!)

Saludos, Mig
                      Before I had the door slammed in my face by the CFC I organized tournaments myself and even once donated $10,000.00 worth of chess clocks to a remote area in Canada to help out an organizer of a youth tournament at the time. The door is still open and Nigel Short has the full support Garry Kasparov and Mig Grrengard and as you can see from above would be delighted to help a CFC that does not disparage them or myself for that matter.

But forget about any rational conversation with the CFC on this subject.

Comment

• Who is on Nigel's Team?

I did some googling but was unable to find that info. Here is what I did find:

Dvorkovich team

Deputy President: Bachar Kouatly (France)
                        Vice Presidents: Mahir Mamedov (Azerbaijan), Julio Granda (Peru)
                        General Secretary: Enyonam Sewa Fumey (Togo)
                        Treasurer: Zhu Chen (Qatar/China)

Makropoulous' electoral ticket will consist of familiar names in the chess world:
                        • President: Georgios Makropoulos (Greece)
                        • Deputy President: Malcolm Pein (England)
                        • General Secretary: Sundar Damal Villivalam (India)
                        • Treasurer: Adrian M Siegel (Switzerland)
                        • Vice-President: Aguinaldo Jaime (Angola)
                        • Vice-President: Martha Fierro (Ecuador)

Comment

• Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                          Who is on Nigel's Team?

I did some googling but was unable to find that info. Here is what I did find:

Dvorkovich team

Deputy President: Bachar Kouatly (France)
                          Vice Presidents: Mahir Mamedov (Azerbaijan), Julio Granda (Peru)
                          General Secretary: Enyonam Sewa Fumey (Togo)
                          Treasurer: Zhu Chen (Qatar/China)

Makropoulous' electoral ticket will consist of familiar names in the chess world:
                          • President: Georgios Makropoulos (Greece)
                          • Deputy President: Malcolm Pein (England)
                          • General Secretary: Sundar Damal Villivalam (India)
                          • Treasurer: Adrian M Siegel (Switzerland)
                          • Vice-President: Aguinaldo Jaime (Angola)
                          • Vice-President: Martha Fierro (Ecuador)
                          http://www.cleanhands4fide.org

Comment

• Thanks Sid!

So the Short team is:

President: Nigel Short (England)

Deputy President: Lukasz Turlej (Poland)

Vice President: Paul Stanleigh Spiller (New Zealand)

Vice President: Olalekan Adeyemi (Nigeria)

General Secretary: Ruth Inez Haring (U.S.A.)

Treasurer: Panu Laine (Finland)

Senior Advisor: Bessel Kok (Netherlands)
                            Last edited by Larry Bevand; Monday, 6th August, 2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X