USA again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA again

Probably, some chesstalkers remember Olympiad-2016 in Baku. After very strong first 10 rounds, Canada was on 4th position and got paired against USA. We lost that match 1.5-2.5 and finished at 11th place. Likely, it was the highest point of my career as a team captain.

Funny, I find a lot of similarities between Olympiad-2016 and current World Team Senior Championship. Before the last round we are 5th and play... USA again.

- like 2 years ago, USA has a huge rating advantage

- like 2 years ago, USA needs a win to get 1st place

- like 2 years ago, we lost in rounds 3 and 7 to very strong teams (Germany-1 and England). 2 years ago we lost to England and Ukraine

- like 2 years ago, we won a very important match in before-the-last round 3-1 against a higher rated opponent. Canada beat Latvia in 2016, here be beat Germany-2, which had more than 200 points total rating advantage.

- 2 years ago our players gained around 70 rating points combined. I didn't calculate exactly, but it looks very similar for the current tournament.

I know, it will be hard to get any individual point in this match. USA has more than 1100 points total rating advantage. We will try...

http://www.schachfestival.de/world-t...n/ranking.html

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    Probably, some chesstalkers remember Olympiad-2016 in Baku. After very strong first 10 rounds, Canada was on 4th position and got paired against USA. We lost that match 1.5-2.5 and finished at 11th place. Likely, it was the highest point of my career as a team captain.

Funny, I find a lot of similarities between Olympiad-2016 and current World Team Senior Championship. Before the last round we are 5th and play... USA again.

- like 2 years ago, USA has a huge rating advantage

- like 2 years ago, USA needs a win to get 1st place

- like 2 years ago, we lost in rounds 3 and 7 to very strong teams (Germany-1 and England). 2 years ago we lost to England and Ukraine

- like 2 years ago, we won a very important match in before-the-last round 3-1 against a higher rated opponent. Canada beat Latvia in 2016, here be beat Germany-2, which had more than 200 points total rating advantage.

- 2 years ago our players gained around 70 rating points combined. I didn't calculate exactly, but it looks very similar for the current tournament.

I know, it will be hard to get any individual point in this match. USA has more than 1100 points total rating advantage. We will try...

http://www.schachfestival.de/world-t...n/ranking.html

Huge congrats! I remember at the 2002 Olympiad in Bled that some really strong teams underestimated our very talented and then very young untitled players like Pascal and Mark Bluvstein and we had some amazing victories against GM laden teams. Mark and Pascal both went on to become strong Grandmasters themselves. Just treat the match like "another day at the office" and give em hell!

Comment

It should also be noted that Victor Plotkin and Michael Barron came first in the World Team blitz competition!

Comment

Working...
      X