The acual Obituary by Nigel Short for Anthony Miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The acual Obituary by Nigel Short for Anthony Miles

Here is a link to the actual obituary Nigel Short penned of Tony Miles. Click on the pic of the newspaper article to read it. Clearly the two men did not like each other but Nigel presents his side of the story. He also said that later in life they manged an uneasy truce with each other and over all he was positive about Tony Miles.. Is this a reason to exclude him as a choice for the presidency? Given thar the choices are an ex partner of someone who brought FIDE close to extinction with a history of corruption or the alternative being Putin's puppet with FIDE again chasing away any Western sponsorship potential not to mention similar exposure that Kirsan had.
    The first link is to the obit. The second link is to the site that hosted it. The way this version of Vbulletin works I have to post both.

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspo...this-week.html
    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 18th July, 2018, 11:21 PM.

You have to do some digging to find the actual obit. when you click the link above. For some reason the total link gets truncated. Scan the index and click on the one for Nigel Short. There are many posts, including his thoughts on prostitution as well as the obit.

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspo...ort-index.html

I was fully in favor of Kasparov. I can't say the same for Short.
    Last edited by Garland Best; Wednesday, 18th July, 2018, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
      You have to do some digging to find the actual obit. Try this link on this blog for all things about Nigel. There are several about his thoughts on prostitution.
      The link you provided only goes to the general site. in addition to adding to the link that defaults to the general link you simply cut and paste the actual link in the text part. You need to both. I had to edit my original link to do this so you can see what i mean by relooking at my original post.

Comment

Yeah mine did the same that yours did. I edited mine, so it's similar to yours, but pointing to the index of Nigel posts.

Comment

"Olympiads", says Nigel Short, "are all about sex". To prove it, he spent a whole column in New In Chess telling us about it. Not all about it, I should say, but we'll get on to that. But about it, anyway, and in the process, telling us rather more about himself than either sex or Olympiads. http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspo...out-nigel.html

This an several other articles certainly adds credence to what a certain young woman player from western Europe related to me.

All Olympiads have their volunteers, but Manila 1992 was unsurpassed in the sheer volume of totty. There were literally hundreds of smiling and invariably polite eighteen to twenty-something-year-old Philippina hostesses. Not a few liaisons were struck up during the course of two weeks. Joel Benjamin related to me, in a mixture of admiration and mirth, the story of a silver-haired colleague demolishing his last-round opponent before smilingly walking away hand-in-hand with his tournament amour.

- Nigel Short, New In Chess 2012/7, page 68.

Perhaps Olympiads are all about sex to Mr. Short. To young women on certain teams perhaps they are all about obnoxious and overreaching old men.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
            Here is a link to the actual obituary Nigel Short penned of Tony Miles. Click on the pic of the newspaper article to read it. Clearly the two men did not like each other but Nigel presents his side of the story. He also said that later in life they manged an uneasy truce with each other and over all he was positive about Tony Miles.. Is this a reason to exclude him as a choice for the presidency? Given thar the choices are an ex partner of someone who brought FIDE close to extinction with a history of corruption or the alternative being Putin's puppet with FIDE again chasing away any Western sponsorship potential not to mention similar exposure that Kirsan had.
            The first link is to the obit. The second link is to the site that hosted it. The way this version of Vbulletin works I have to post both.

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspo...this-week.html
            A contributing factor to the death was his unsettled domestic life according to the obituary. I imagine Nigel sleeping with the girlfriend would tend to unsettle a domestic life. There is a country and western song in there somewhere.

Comment

Working...
            X