Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Again Henry (Aka Dark Knight):

As we have previously discussed, over the years I had an arrangement from time to time with the former owner of Chess Talk (CT), Chess 'n Math Association, to Blog the tournaments I have been playing in (Usually longer tournaments like the Canadian Open, The Quebec Open, The Toronto International, etc.).

More recently I have been posting my chess blog on my personal Facebook Account for my over 800 Fb friends from around the world: https://www.facebook.com/bob.armstrong.9235. I also have been re-posting it on my Fb chess discussion group, Chess Chat - A Project of Chess Companions of Caissa: https://www.facebook.com/groups/340524269771672/ .

You and I have now continued the CT arrangement and now extended it to also include the weekend tournaments in which I play between Summer 2018 and Summer 2019.

So, under this new agreement, most recently I blogged my participation in:

a. two longer tournaments:

1. 2018 Quebec Open - about 775 views of 5 days of blogging a 9 round tournament (New arrangement reached after tournament had started) - Average of over 150 views per blog;
    2. 2018 Montreal Summer Chess Classic - about 375 view of 6 days of blogging a 5 round tournament - Average of 62 views per blog.

b. 2018 Toronto Open - 6 rounds - 4 consecutive days of blogging - Average over the first 3 days (Total of 421 views) of almost 150 views per blog.

My future weekend blogs will be (Given my current schedule through to next summer):

1. The 2018 Hart House Holidays Open (Prior to Christmas - Dec. 14-16);
    2. The 2019 Hart House Reading Week Open (Usually on the Family Day Holiday Weekend in February).

Over the years, and in these more recent blogs, I have had generally positive feedback, on both my Fb Accounts, and here on CT, to my blogging. I mainly focus on the section I am playing in (Has been U 2000, U 1900 or U 1800). I feel that these class sections are often not covered by chess media, and yet, the bulk of chess tournament players are in these classes and under. And many of my viewers have actually played players about whom I am blogging (Ones I play and ones with whom I may socialize during the tournament). So this adds a bit more interest. I do also cover (Bare Bones) the top section standings each blog, and in the last blog, the winners of all sections.

I do hope my blogs will continue to provide a window onto class tournament chess, and what THIS chess player does in tournaments between rounds (A bit of my personal life). I know many other chess players approach tournaments quite differently than I do.

I have had feedback that my writing style is easy to read, and often entertaining. It is a find for all us "nosy" chess players!

Now I am wondering if you might be interested in my re-posting the club tournaments I play weekly over the year at both Scarborough CC and Annex CC (I do them anyway for my Fb friends). With respect to the Annex CC games, I also do a re-post on their Fb page. This is assuming you have not had a flood of e-mails saying the "Bob's Blogs" are overwhelming CT! LOL

Thanks for your prior support of my blogging - if for some reason you feel this new addition would not be helpful to CT, then I am fine with that. I just thought I might offer, since I am doing my other chess blogging, and since the club game blogs are already done on Fb anyway. It would again just be a re-posting.

My two new club tournaments starting dates (for me) will be:

Scarborough CC - Thursdays - Sept. 20.
    Annex CC - Mondays - Sept. 17.

The tournaments usually are from 5-7 rounds (Club Championships may be a round or two longer).

Thanks for entertaining the offer.

Bob A
    Hi Bob,

Sure, you're most welcome to continue posting your club tournament and future blogs here (chance of any pictures?).

Thanks,
    Henry

Comment

Hi Henry:

Thanks once again - I'm happy to re-post my Fb Blogs of my 2 club tournaments.

My camera has been out of service for a while now, and that is why I've had no pictures. But I'll get some help to again get it operational........then I'd be delighted to add some photos to my blog.

Also, I have had a number of inquiries about my adding to my blogs a pgn of my games (Won or lost; good or bad) that I have been describing only. I don't believe I've ever posted a ChessBase cbv (??) before here on CT, but I'll look into it - also, when I was editor of my Toronto Chess News (TCN) newsletter, I did know how to convert a cbv to a pgn (More accessible) - I'll also try to figure that one out.

Bob A

Comment

Hi Henry (Aka Dark Knight):

I have a question about CT membership & your confirmation.

I sent you a "Private Message" here on CT. Would you mind checking it and advise?

Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Hi again Henry:

I am "bouncing" this to the top again, to increase the odds you will soon see it and respond. Thanks.

Bob

Comment

Hi Henry (Aka Dark Knight):

Thanks for the private message answering my question. I have now passed the information along to my inquiring chess friend.

Bob A

Comment

Hi Again Henry (Aka Dark Knight):

With your kind permission, I did post all my Blogs # 1 - 9 on Chess Talk (English) for the 2018 Quebec Open Championship. The thread had over 700 views in the 6 consecutive days it was being posted.

But I am aware that you have a French language Canadian Discussion Board as well called Parlons Echecs.

As we agreed previously, tonight I will now start posting my blog for the 2018 Montreal Summer Chess Classic, which will be posted to and including Friday (There will be 6 blogs in total). It will be again in English.

I do not know what assistance you have to maintain these two boards.

But I wondered if you might wish to re-post my English Chess Blog on the Classic here on Chess Talk, onto your French Board, translated into French?

I would quite happily consent to this, but it is beyond my capacity to do the translation into French.

If this is beyond the scope of your site, would you be able to conscript some outside volunteer to do the translation and post it on the French Board on our behalf?

If not, what I also am thinking here is whether the Classic organizers/arbiters may have the capacity to help with this issue, to help market their tournament.

And similarly, if this is beyond the capacity of their team, might they be able to conscript some volunteer translator to do it for both them and us?

Just a thought, since I have found that among chess players, in my Montreal and area tournaments, there are many players from Quebec who are not fluently bi-lingual (Same as in Ontario - an officially bi-lingual province). They might enjoy accessing this Blog in their first language.

Bob A
              Hey Bob I would be willing to translate your blog into French for the French board! I think everyone should have the chance to read your blog !

Comment

Hi Henri:

You have my thanks and my permission to do my next club blogs (And even my Aurora Fall Open 2 Blogs, if you are up to it).

That would be great - I do play regularly in Montreal now, and so I have gotten to know a number of Quebec class players. And they have been reading my Blogs in English - and for some I know, it is a bit of a struggle, since they are not totally fluent in English.

Bob A

Comment

Hi Henry:

Thanks for the blanket invite to re-post my Chess Blogs here re my upcoming Weekend Tournaments for 2018 & 2019.

My Schedule for the rest of the summer, through to the start of Summer 2019, at least at the present time, is:

Sept. 1 - 3/18 (Long Labour Day Weekend) - Toronto Open (6 Rds.);

Dec. 14-16/18 (Likely - not yet posted on CFC Tournament List) - Hart House Holidays Open (5 Rds.);

Feb. 16 - 18/19 (Likely - not yet posted on CFC Tournament List - usually on Family Day (Ontario) Long Weekend) - Hart House Reading Week Open (6 Rds.).

Maybe someone associated with the HHCC might confirm if these guessed dates are correct, if they are in fact already scheduled into the Hart House 2018/9 calendar.

I am happy to make the effort to re-post here since it appears there are sufficient Chess Talkers who find my Blogs of some interest ........ it is a fun retiree project for me, and as long as some CT'ers find them interesting and informative, and somewhat entertaining, I'll try to keep doing the re-posting.

Thanks again.

Bob A
                  hey bob I will start on your next tournament as I will be busy with my school studies but from now on I will do the translation

also I enjoyed the annotation of our game Ive never had someone comment on my games before its interesting

Comment

Henri - I will be blogging my Annex CC Changing Leaves Swiss (U 1800 Section) game tonight - 5th and last round. Because Annex often finishes late, the blog may not be posted 'til Tuesday sometime.

I enjoyed our game in the last round at the Aurora Fall Open - it was not too flashy a game, but difficult and a challenge to play. I'm glad the light annotations I make now help make the games more interesting.

Bob

Comment

Henri - I will be blogging my Annex CC Changing Leaves Swiss (U 1800 Section) game tonight - 5th and last round. Because Annex often finishes late, the blog may not be posted 'til Tuesday sometime.

I enjoyed our game in the last round at the Aurora Fall Open - it was not too flashy a game, but difficult and a challenge to play. I'm glad the light annotations I make now help make the games more interesting.

Bob
                      okay well once it is posted here because this is where i read it i will do the translations

Comment

Working...
                      X