Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Calendar

Hi all,

I have had this idea of creating a chess calendar to share with chess players/parents and organizers since last year. So chess players/parents can keep themselves updated with chess events, and chess organizers, if they can take a look at the calendar when they are making the schedules, it can help them to avoid conflicts.

I have created one and have tried sharing with a existing chat group among hundreds of chess parents in GTA, so far the feedback is very good. So I'd like to share it here. Hope more people can benefit from it:

Chess Calendar

Quick instructions:
    . For those who'd like to see the calendar in mobile devices(cell phone or tablet), google account required:
    1. On PC, open browser , Google Chrome is recommended, login to your google account.
    2. Open the above link of the calendar.
    3. One your mobile phone, make sure your google account is configured, and Google Calendar is installed and enabled. (It doesn't matter if you are using Android or iPad, iphone.)
    4. You should be able to see this calendar now on your mobile phone. And when you don't need to see the events in this calendar, just uncheck the checkbox of it.
    For those who don't want to bother integrating the calendar, only need to see the calendar when sitting in front of a computer, a bookmark of the calendar on PC might be good enough.
    1. Open this link
    2. Add to favorate or bookmark it.
    If you need more details about how to enable it on your phone or tablet, please let me know.
    If you are a organizer and will like to add/update some events in the calendar, so all the people who are using it can see the update immediately, please let me know as well.

Thanks
    Allen

Great initiative.
    Suggestion: if it would become a national wide calendar (not only GTA), please add a province before the title like (ON) Aurora Fall Open :)

Comment

Hi Egi,

Thanks for your suggestion! I've added (ON) to Aurora Fall Open. :)

Originally I was thinking of creating this calendar for chess players in Canada. Later I realized that people in different area may not be interested in events in other areas. So I renamed the calendar, added GTA to the name. If this turns out to be a great idea, more and more people start to use it and like it, separate calendars for different areas may become necessary. When that happens, somebody, or myself, can always create a calendar for a different area.

Please keep me updated if there's anything about the events organized by Aurora Chess Club need to be updated. Actually, if you'd like to update the calendar directly, please let me know as well. I've actually invited a few organizers to edit it directly, and have tested that successfully. To be able to edit the calendar directly, a google account, normally ends with @gmail.com, is required.

Thanks
      Allen

Comment

Great idea! The GTCL used to have an active calendar on their website, but today, making it for phones is a better idea. I would recommend colour coding for junior only events. Does the Olympiad get listed, Sep 23-Oct 7. Will Hart House hold a weekend swiss in December? Organizers need to get their dates announced way in advance (like CMA does) to avoid overlap with another event and allow travelling players enough time to plan chess vacations.

Comment

Glad to see that you like the idea as well. I've added Chess Olympiad in September, and HartHouse Holiday open in December. And I've set the color for all "open"(Adults & kids) events as green.

Comment

Since many of the tournaments end on a Sunday, you may want to set the calendar week to start on Mondays. That way the two days will appear side-by-side in the calendar.

Comment

I think that would only confuse people who are used to seeing Sunday to Saturday calendars.

Comment

You can change the way how the calendar(and other calendars as well) displays for you. It won't affect the calendar or how it displays for other users.

Here are the steps:
                1. Open Google Calendar.
                2. Click the settings gear in the top right .
                3. Select Settings.
                4. In the Week starts on section, select Monday from the drop-down menu.
                5. Click Save.

Comment

Working...
                X