Chess Politics: A communiqué from Larbi Houari

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Politics: A communiqué from Larbi Houari

The French speaking countries have their own organization within FIDE called the AIDEF (www.aidef.fide.com):

This communiqué first appeared in French. I used Google Translates...I am sure some stuff is funny after the translation :). I am not sure the whole communiqué will appear on here

If you want the original version, go to Chesstalk.com in French.

African Chess Confederation - July 30, 03:21

· How far will Patrick Van Hoolandt (President of the International Francophone Chess Association) go?

Dear friends, dear brothers,

It is with a very strong emotion and "the ball in the belly" that I allow myself today to write to you these few words which will not fail to be the measure of my anger. As some of you know, I volunteered in January 2013 to rebuild a hitherto moribund association called AIDEF. With the small team that we were, we unpacked the boxes of liabilities, found the state of lethargy, determined that it was as soon as possible a plan for the Francophonie in the world of chess finds a place. Of course, the first differences did not fail to appear as to the primary purpose of the association but we knew, Patrick Van Hoolandt and myself, to manage our different in camera. Thus it was decided that I would personally finance the first meetings of the new era, in Marrakech, in early October 2013 so that the maximum number of countries participate. As such, I did not hide my natural inclination for the continent that by far had the greatest need of this initiative: Africa. Indeed, I openly considered that an annual meeting did NOT meet African needs. Worse, you have seen during meetings in Quebec among others, the immense frustration experienced by Africans who could not go there for lack of Visa; proof of how many men were born free and equal in law! On October 13, 2013 at the closing of the Marrakech meetings, I made my apron, respecting the choice to favor the annual RIDEF version to register me in other attempts to support the continent.
    --------------------------------
    The reason I am writing this day is precisely because of the unacceptable drift of the President of the AIDEF, which completely distorts the vocation of the French-language chess. Basically, I ask the question frankly: which African country has been able, can or will disburse an exorbitant amount for the organization of an annual meeting at the expense of its own development? Because it must be said, the cost of organizing this tournament disguised as meeting increases from year to year! Of € 35,000 excluding third-party aid that it cost Morocco in 2013, we now exceed 50-60,000 € for those who do not want to see their candidacy stalled! Oh yes, because the AIDEF is now able to study the best candidates, Mr. Van Hoolandt wanting to ensure his event and not follow the plan of solidarity and development as we had thought during its recovery ( see statutes). Well, but admitting that this sum is provided by the AIDEF itself, is it coherent that it should be dilapidated in a few days without any trace of its medium-term effects? Secondly, AIDEF is by nature, hence the second reason for my withdrawal, an APOLITIC association. We even took care of memory, to specify it in its first statutes, if it does not insist heavily on this point at the GA of January 2013! But what are we seeing today? For the little that I know but it is more than enough: - An undisguised intrusion into the internal affairs of some of its member countries (Côte d'Ivoire, Morocco, Senegal, the others will soon reach me). I sent a few months ago a protest email (with regard to the Ivory Coast), I got only the expression of the hatred. - A President who campaigns using the AIDEF network at this very moment, without consulting its members on the position to adopt (of course "as a person", as it is true that outside AIDEF, its influence is great ... ).

- Threats of serious consequences if the member country does not vote for Mr. "MarcoPolos" (the Deputy President of the Fide who travels a lot right now). I read, without any ambiguity possible, a written exchange in which Mr. Van Hoolandt explains that given the number of appointments obtained (the famous intox of the nominations) and knowing the candidate, it was better to avoid finding himself in the same place. wrong because Mr. Makropoulos would not forget! When we know that the country threatened has spent more than 70,000 € to ensure the organization of RIDEF there is little, it is cold in the back of opportunism! It is therefore this very particular point that convinces me today to react, charge the holder of these exchanges to communicate them to you. So dear friends, I ask this simple question: did we need to create a new dividing front? Is it tolerable for countries in a state of weakness to fall prey to worthless people in their country, but who are dreaming of us Lords? Are we going to let, once again, an African electoral campaign blazed by the ancient techniques of carrot, flattery, stick and division? Are we going to introduce into our continent those profiteers of the hospitality that characterizes us, whose sense of superiority struggles to hide behind the "Colgate" smile of circumstance? Well not me! Also, I announce you that consequently I took 3 personal initiatives which will bear all the more quickly their fruits that they will arouse your adhesion:

1) I ask Mr. Van Hoolandt to consider his resignation from the position of President for violation, if not the statutes at least of the spirit of AIDEF. It is also scandalous that after attacking Mr. Jean-Claude Moingt, former vice-president of AIDEF for, among other things, "misappropriation of objects of association" (support for Karpov's candidacy in 2010 by AIDEF), Mr. Van Hoolandt does the same today! I pledge myself to support logistically and financially any new governance of AIDEF which would focus on the project of developing chess at the base of the needs of the most needy.

2) I question, through this email Mr. Makropoulos as to the consequences alleged by Mr. Van Hoolandt to those who would be reluctant to vote for him. Knowing of reputation the "Deputy President" of FIDE, I have no doubt that he will deny using such methods.

3) I support the organization of an African physical debate between the continental candidates and am ready to finance the transportation and accommodation of all the Presidents of African federations who wish to exchange and debate. As such, I would also be responsible for the simultaneous translation of these debates. I would call in order to ensure fairness between the candidates of people known for their neutrality for mediation purposes. Finally, I would submit without hesitation the final bill of "the exercise of democracy in Africa" ​​to the 3 candidates for the Presidency of FIDE. Everyone would be asked to commit to the reimbursement of these costs if elected, Africa having no FIDE means that decently allows its members to meet. And for good reason...

Yours truly Larbi Houari Entrepreneur and unconditional supporter of the development of chess in Africa!
    Last edited by Larry Bevand; Wednesday, 1st August, 2018, 05:15 PM.

Response from Bernard Labadie, President of the FQE and member of the director steering committee at the AIDEF:
    (This first appeared on the AIDEF Facebook page August 1, 2018. It just came to my attention)

Members of the aidef

Dear friends,

We have just received from larbi houari a text that defame the president of the. He shocked the members of his steering committee. In elections to the presidency of the fide, this kind of disinformation is unfortunately common to those involved in a campaign. Some of them are ready to get to their ends. This is the case of larbi houari, kind of "Jack in the box", or a spring devil. He comes out of his box when we operate a mechanism and here the mechanism is the elections. Judge Rather: in 2013 he intervened in a virulent manner at the general assembly of the Federation French. In 2014 he was head of campaign for the election of the presidency of the fide fide. At the end of 2016 he was head of campaign for the presidency of ffe. As by chance, 2018 being an election year, he was found as a follower of the movement for Russian candidate arkady dvorkovich. Apart from electoral periods, it is non-existent! A photo makes it possible to understand clearly the real intentions such as the personal ambitions that motivated its email dated 30 July. (photo taken at the campaign meeting of candidate arkady dvorkovich, Johannesburg, July 26th. We see him sitting left (Yellow shirt). In any event, the aidef is an apolitical association and will never formally take position for a candidate in an election, the statutes have always been respected. In Our Association we have members of all trends and everyone is free to express their opinions. In the current context of the fide elections, it is not a secret to anyone that our President Patrick van hoolandt supports in his personal conviction and purely personal the team around Mr Georgios Makropoulos, that is his right. Do not fall into the trap of provocation of people who are trying sporadically to exist.

Bernard Labadie,
    member of the director steering committee

Comment

Working...
    X