2nd Annual Smiths Falls Open - back again this year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Annual Smiths Falls Open - back again this year!

2nd Annual Smiths Falls Open

An EOCA Grand Prix Event

The opening event of the 2018-2019 Eastern Ontario Grand Prix takes place at the Smiths Falls Lions Club, in the middle of sensational Smiths Falls. Enjoy a weekend of chess in a town with a rich history, situated about halfway between Kingston and Ottawa, on the historic Rideau Canal. Between rounds you could visit the Heritage House Museum, The Railway Museum of Eastern Ontario, or enjoy a walk along the Rideau Canal and adjacent parks.

Event Date: Saturday August 18 to Sunday August 19, 2018.

Place: Smiths Falls Lions Club, 19 Abbott Street South, Smiths Falls, Ontario, K7A 4S1.

Type: Regular Swiss Open, pairings in single section, with class prizes.

Rounds: 5 rounds — Saturday @ 9am, 2pm and 7pm; Sunday @ 9am and 2pm.

Time Control: Game in 90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move, starting from Move 1.

Prizes: Sections and prizes are based on entries and may change.

Entry Fee: $50 if pre-registered, $60 at site. Amateur entry is $30. Cash ONLY. Amateur entrants are not eligible for cash prizes. Free entry for GMs/WGMs & IMs/WIMs, if pre-registered by August 9, 2018.

CFC or FQE membership is required. If you do not have a regular CFC membership, Tournament Memberships will be available for $20. All games will be CFC rated.

A limited number of clocks and sets will be provided, so please bring your own equipment if possible.

Requesting byes: A maximum of two ½ point byes can be given in the first three rounds, which must be requested before Round 1.

Organizer: Jeremy Sztuka Tournament Director: Jeremy Sztuka

Registration options:

1. Register in person at the RA Chess Club, August 2, August 9, or August 16, from 7:00-7:30 PM.
    2. Send an email to jsztukachess at gmail dot com. Please note in your email if any byes will be needed (or not).
    3. Register on-site on Saturday August 18th between 7:30 AM and 8:30 AM.

Please note in regard to all 3 Options above – in order to finalise registration, payment of entry fee (cash) is due by 8:30am on August 18 in order to ensure eligibility for a pairing in Round 1. Alternatively, email-money transfers are okay instead of cash. No cheques.

About the Venue: The room at the Lions Club has ample space, including air conditioning plus a refrigerator, kitchenette, and coffee maker on site. Coffee, tea, and bottled water will be available to all players.  

Additional Information

Directions From Ottawa: Follow the 417 West to exit 145, Highway 7. Take Highway 7 into Carleton Place, go straight through first light, turn left at second light on to Highway 15 (just past Esso on left hand side). Stay on Highway 15 until get into Smiths Falls (about 27km). When you get to the end you will have the option to turn left or right – turn right. Stay on about 0.5km until get to a traffic light. Go straight through this light for another 0.5km or so, where you will get to a second traffic light. Turn left here on to William Street West (which will turn into Abbott Street North) – about 1.4km total. You will pass over a bridge over the Rideau River, and come up to another traffic light once passing over the bridge. Go straight at this light (on to Abbott Street South), Lions Club (also called Lions Den) will be on your left.

Directions from Kingston: Take Highway 15 North into Smiths Falls where this road turns into Lombard Street. You will see a McDonald’s on your right hand side. Shortly after that, you will come to a traffic light, turn right on to Abbott Street South, and the destination will be on your left hand side.

Where to Stay:

I recommend The Best Western in town (88 Lombard Street) as it is a 5 minute walk away. Phone # 613-284-0001. Website:
    http://www.smithsfallshotel.com

There is also an Econolodge in town, approximately a 5 minute drive away, phone # 613-283-5150 and their website is:
    http://www.choicehotels.ca/en/econo-...ls-hotel-cn454

There are other various smaller motels available as well

*I would recommend booking a hotel sooner rather than later as during the summer they tend to fill up fast!

Where to Eat:

I highly recommend Matty O’Shea’s (Irish) Pub for lunch and/or supper. They are located at 12 Chambers Street in Smiths Falls.

Within walking distance of the Lions Club, there is also a Subway, Tim Hortons, Harvey’s, Dairy Queen, Pizza Hut, and McDonald’s.

Important Amendments/Clarifications to Tournament Flyer:
    Based on present level of entries (i.e. projected entries of over 30 players) - I will be running two sections instead of one this year - details below:
    For prizes, I will be paying the following: (dollar amounts to be determined prior to Round 3, will be based on entries)
    a) Open Section
    - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes
    - U1900 Class Prize (to specify - paid the player(s) with highest score in this section with a CFC rating below 1900 as of August 18, 2018).
    b) U1600 Section
    - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes
    Other notes:
    1) For players without any kind of CFC rating, but with a FQE or FIDE rating, I will be going by the highest of these ratings for the purpose of which section you would play in.
    2) Players must have a CFC rating at the time of the tournament below 1600 (or be unrated CFC, FQE, and FIDE) to play in the U1600 section, otherwise they play in the Open section. Players with a CFC rating at the time of the tournament with a rating between 1500-1599 may play in the Open section if they explicitly indicate this to me prior to Round 1 - otherwise they will be paired in the U1600 section. Players below 1500 must play in the U1600 section.
    3) The default time shall be 30 minutes after white's clock has been started (i.e. if one player is has not arrived at the board, within 30 minutes after white's clock has been started, they shall be consider to have forfeited the game to their opponent).
    4) All players will be eligible to not pay the HST (effectively a 13% discount) at Matty O'Shea's Pub and Restaurant, on Saturday August 18 (they are closed August 19) - each player will need to let their server know they are with the tournament and show the server a copy of the flyer (to be provided at tournament). Matty O'Shea's is open from 11:30am to Midnight on Saturdays.
    5) Other class prize(s) could be added to those above but will be based on entries.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sztuka; Thursday, 2nd August, 2018, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Updated Pre-registered list as of August 2, 2018

Pre-registered list as of August 2, 2018, below. I will be at the RA Chess Club in Ottawa on August 9, and 16th to take registrations. Alternatively, you can always be added to this pre-registered list by sending me an email at jsztukachess at gmail dot com

Open Section:

David Gordon 2257
      Dusan Simic 2196
      Halldor Peter Palsson 2033
      Jake Van Rooy 2028
      Simon Perkins 1916
      Ray Kuryliw 1826
      Jacob Krolczyk 1791
      Ted Hsu 1775
      Raymond Dickson 1701
      Johnathan Han 1629

U1600 Section:

Kirk Johannes Dickson 1526
      Kevin Curran 1419
      Chris Wu 1179
      Tristan Masters 1169
      John Hay 1109
      Ken Curran 1075
      Alexandre Sirois-De Civita 1044
      Noah Pedersen 1043

Comment

Round 1 Draw of $10 Gift Certificate to Matty O'Shea's Pub and Restaurant

Shortly before the beginning of Round 1, I will be doing a draw for one $10 Gift Certificate for Matty O'Shea's Pub and Restaurant, located at 12 Chambers Street, in Smiths Falls. They are an Irish-style pub with a patio, serve lunch and dinner, are open 6 days a week, including Saturdays 11:30am to Midnight, but are closed on Sundays. All players playing in Round 1 will be eligible for the draw.

Matty O'Sheas is locally owned, has excellent food, drinks, and service. Their menu is also available for take-out and I will have copies of their current menu at the tournament. I highly recommend each player consider eating there.

As a reminder, all players will be eligible to not pay the HST (effectively a 13% discount) at Matty O'Shea's Pub and Restaurant, on Saturday August 18 (they are closed August 19) - each player will need to let their server know they are with the tournament and show the server a copy of the flyer (to be provided at tournament

I will be drawing at least one other gift certificate before a different round in similar fashion.

Comment

Does anyone know when final standings for EOCA Grand Prix 2017-2018 will be available?

Comment

Hi Alex, as far as I know the standings have been done for a month or so (as the last tournament of the 2017-2018 season was near the end of June). I believe we are waiting on the EOCA webmaster to post those standings (and the 2nd Annual Smiths Open for that matter). I just emailed the EOCA President to ask about these concerns. Hopefully there will be a resolution soon.

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

Did you pay your $20 to advertise on ChessTalk?

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry,

Yes. I sent Henry an etransfer and email yesterday for the $20.

Henry - when you get a chance, could you please confirm receipt?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy Sztuka View Post
                  Hi Larry,

Yes. I sent Henry an etransfer and email yesterday for the $20.

Henry - when you get a chance, could you please confirm receipt?

Thanks,

Jeremy
                  Hi Jeremy...that is awesome!

I am no longer in the loop...I just want Henry to be be able to pay the bills...I am still too close to my baby :).

Thanks for supporting ChessTalk!

and I wish you good luck with your event!

And now I will butt out :)

Larry

Comment

Updated Pre-registered list as of August 9, 2018

Pre-registered list as of August 9, 2018, below. I will be at the RA Chess Club in Ottawa on August 16th to take additional registrations. Alternatively, you can always be added to this pre-registered list by sending me an email at jsztukachess at gmail dot com

Open Section:

David Gordon 2257
                    Dusan Simic 2196
                    Jake Van Rooy 2028
                    Ramon J. Cova 1980 (1/2 point Bye Round #1)
                    Simon Perkins 1916
                    Abdelaziz Mahdjoubi 1912
                    Ray Kuryliw 1825
                    Jan Huus 1821 (1/2 point Bye Round #3)
                    Jacob Krolczyk 1809
                    Ted Hsu 1775
                    Raymond Dickson 1701
                    Herb Langer 1676
                    Rene Poulin 1653
                    Randika Balasooriya 1632
                    Johnathan Han 1629

U1600 Section:

Kevin Curran 1419
                    Ian Birch 1264 (1/2 point Bye Round #3)
                    Chris Wu 1179
                    Tristan Masters 1169
                    John Hay 1109
                    Ken Curran 1075
                    Noah Pedersen 1043

Comment

Updated Pre-registered list as of August 13, 2018

Pre-registered list as of August 13, 2018, below. I will be at the RA Chess Club in Ottawa on August 16th to take additional registrations. Alternatively, you can always be added to this pre-registered list by sending me an email at jsztukachess at gmail dot com

Open Section:

David Gordon 2257
                      Dusan Simic 2196
                      Jake Van Rooy 2028
                      Simon Perkins 1916
                      Abdelaziz Mahdjoubi 1912
                      Ray Kuryliw 1825
                      Jacob Krolczyk 1809
                      Ted Hsu 1775
                      Raymond Dickson 1701
                      Herb Langer 1676
                      Rene Poulin 1653
                      Randika Balasooriya 1632
                      Johnathan Han 1629

U1600 Section:

Michael Shi 1486
                      Kevin Curran 1419
                      Victor Samuel 1327 (1/2 point Bye Round #3)
                      Chris Wu 1179 (playing as ‘Amateur’ – not eligible for prizes)
                      Tristan Masters 1169
                      Ken Curran 1075 (playing as ‘Amateur’ – not eligible for prizes)
                      John Hay 1061
                      Noah Pedersen 1043

Comment

Updated Pre-registered list as of August 14, 2018

Pre-registered list as of August 14, 2018, below. I will be at the RA Chess Club in Ottawa on August 16th to take additional registrations. Alternatively, you can always be added to this pre-registered list by sending me an email at jsztukachess at gmail dot com

Open Section:

David Gordon 2257
                        Dusan Simic 2196
                        Stijn De Kerpel 2161 (1/2 point Bye Round #3)
                        Jake Van Rooy 2028
                        Simon Perkins 1916
                        Abdelaziz Mahdjoubi 1912
                        Ray Kuryliw 1825
                        Jacob Krolczyk 1809
                        Ted Hsu 1775
                        Raymond Dickson 1701
                        Herb Langer 1676
                        Rene Poulin 1653
                        Randika Balasooriya 1632
                        Johnathan Han 1629

U1600 Section:

Michael Shi 1486
                        Kevin Curran 1419
                        Jeremie Kimble 1193
                        Tristan Masters 1169
                        John Hay 1061
                        Noah Pedersen 1043

Comment

Round #2 and Round #3 Draws for $10 Gift Certificates at Perfect Thyming Restaurant

Shortly before the beginning of both Round 2 & Round 3, I will be doing a draw for one $10 Gift Certificate for Perfect Thyming Restaurant, located at 17 Chambers Street, in Smiths Falls. They are a breakfast and brunch restaurant, open 7 days a week, specifically this Saturday August 18, 7am-2pm, and this Sunday August 19, 8am-2pm. All players playing in the respective round will be eligible for the given draw. These draws are in addition of the draw for a $10 Gift Certificate for Matty O’Sheas, being done right before Round #1.

Comment

Updated Pre-registered list as of August 15, 2018

Pre-registered list as of August 15, 2018, below. I will be at the RA Chess Club in Ottawa on August 16th to take additional registrations. Alternatively, you can always be added to this pre-registered list by sending me an email at jsztukachess at gmail dot com

Open Section:

David Gordon 2257
                            Dusan Simic 2196
                            Stijn De Kerpel 2161 (1/2 point Bye Round #3)
                            Jake Van Rooy 2028
                            Danail Donev 2023
                            Aris Marghetis 1917 (playing as ‘Amateur’ – not eligible for prizes, playing Round #1, 1/2 point Bye Round #2, 0 point Bye Round #4, Round #3 & #5 tbd)
                            Simon Perkins 1916
                            Abdelaziz Mahdjoubi 1912
                            Ray Kuryliw 1825
                            Jacob Krolczyk 1809
                            Ted Hsu 1775
                            Raymond Dickson 1701
                            Herb Langer 1676
                            Rene Poulin 1653
                            Randika Balasooriya 1632
                            Johnathan Han 1629

U1600 Section:

Michael Shi 1486
                            Kevin Curran 1419
                            John I. F. Lukezich 1365 (1/2 point Bye Round #1)
                            Jeremie Kimble 1193
                            Tristan Masters 1169
                            John Hay 1061
                            Noah Pedersen 1043

Comment

The Smiths Falls Open has been around for a long time - Bob Webb ran it for years. I played in the 1990 version of it - when there was a several hour long scheduled power failure/shutdown on Saturday night, creating chaos on the streets.

Comment

Working...
                              X